NEW-EST...DOLPHIN/SWAN..."questions and answers"...tips and hints!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel blessed that I've never "had" to work - I'm looking forward to my time home now: playing DD's taxi driver and getting some things done in the house that I've neglected for the years I've worked! Redecorating, new furniture.... DH doesn't know what he's in for! :goodvibes

Same here, Singing Mom ... although this is the first year I've had all 3 of my kids in school all day, it feels like I'm busier now than ever! After we get home from our October trip, I plan on actually getting this house in order! We'll see how that goes, LOL!

5 weeks from tomorrow, we'll be on our way! I'll have my laptop with me, and will be posting live (when I think of it ;) ) from Vistana Villages. They have free internet - so I'll save some $$ and not log on while we're at the Dolphin. We have 2 nights booked at the Dolphin this trip - our first night in central FL and the night we're going to MNSSHP, so we don't have to worry about driving back to the resort after the party. Some might say it's not a wise use of points, but it is for us!

Greetings from a soon to be former deluxe resort snob!:wave2:;)

After having unsuccessfully fought the battle to get a Disney Visa discount code reservation, I took the plunge and made reservations for the Swan Oct 17-21.

It's our first time staying anywhere other than a deluxe resort but the teacher rate of $169 along with 1 free night with points was just too good to pass up.

Anyway, just wanted to say how helpful this thread has been (still trying to get through the entire thread). I've got a ton of questions, but we'll see how many are left by the time I finish reading here.

This is a quickie trip so it's a good time to test the Swan and see if it can do battle with the deluxes and win us over. :cheer2:

I hope so! The price is unbelievable compared to the deluxe rates and since we were wanting an Epcot resort anyway, it works out perfect!:thumbsup2

kimmar~5-0!!!:cool1: Life begins at fifty!! :banana: It's the new forty...or something like that. :confused3

...that'll be my [Swan] new mantra [Dolphin]....

Mouseteacher said:
...OOOPS -no more sidebar chattering need to stay on thread topic:
I, too, believe if you have a current license, the S/D will honor it. I have only showed my state license each time we went and that sufficed.

....don't worry no[Teacher's Rate of $189] sidebar chattering [Shula's Steak House] will you find HERE....only [Mandara Spa] "on-topic" stuff.....:rolleyes1

I would like to see an all "NEW!" Swan and Dolphin thread started.

Why? Because this thread started almost THREE YEARS ago. It's got outdated info on it, and it's very hard to keep straight what is and isn't in effect now. Page one makes an issue of a resort fee, that I understand is no longer in effect, right?

How long and unwieldy does a thread have to get before it's locked and a new one is started? Can't we have a thread that has relevant material in the first few pages, instead of having to read thru thousands of posts? Or, at least have the first few posts of this thread updated? :confused:

I would like to see an all "NEW!" Swan and Dolphin thread started.

Why? Because this thread started almost THREE YEARS ago. It's got outdated info on it, and it's very hard to keep straight what is and isn't in effect now. Page one makes an issue of a resort fee, that I understand is no longer in effect, right?

How long and unwieldy does a thread have to get before it's locked and a new one is started? Can't we have a thread that has relevant material in the first few pages, instead of having to read thru thousands of posts? Or, at least have the first few posts of this thread updated? :confused:

It used to be that once a thread hit a certain number of posts it was closed. Then the DIS switched servers and it wasn't an issue anymore, threads can go on forever now!

I agree that there MUST be outdated information on this thread, mainly because it was started so long ago.

Who wants to start another thread? :confused:

I think a new thread would be great!! I would like to see the first few post a lot of the important information about the Swan/Dolphin.

I like the Wilderness Lodge thread since it has a lot of information on the first page. I think it would be great if someone would start and new thread!!! :)

I would start one, but I'm hardly a Swan/Dolphin expert.:confused3

I agree, there is lots of great information on this thread, but trying to find it is very hard, it's got so long.

Just a few pages at the start of a new thread with all the info on would be fantastic. :thumbsup2

An updated thread is a great idea. I say we go back through & check everyone's signature to see who's stayed at S/D the most times. The winner gets to start the thread. :p I'm sure they won't mind. ;)

If the Signatures don't indicate a clear winner, we can post a thread, "How many times have you stayed at S/D?" The unsuspecting poster will them be told what they won. The right to start a new thread, of course. :teeth:

Blondie or anyone else. You may copy and paste any part of this and help by adding to the "new" thread. I think we will try it out here and once we get it the way we like it we will start an "official" new thread.

I would love to have you guys add in some photos I am not good at posting pictures. I would like to have more rate information...

Feel free to pitch in and get this new thread going! :)

Great job, Mom Poppins!! Thank you!:flower3:

Would be fantastic if anyone could add latest info on room refurbishment:
i.e. Swan is in the process, which floors have been completed, which was the former smoking floor etc.

If no one knows, I would be happy to call and find out exact update info.

Very excited about a NEW Swan/Dolphin thread!!:cheer2:

Is there a resort fee?

The resort fee ended July 28, 2005.

Both the newspaper and the in-room coffee are complimentary. Extra add-ons include: Use of the Health Club - $8.00 per person per day; High Speed Internet Access (HSIA) - $10.95 for a 24-hour period (tax is included in price); Telephone - $1.00 for local, toll free & operator assisted calls. $.10 a minute for local calls over 60 minutes.

I added the information on the resort fee to my post above.. open to more suggestions. :)

Is there a resort fee?

Both the newspaper and the in-room coffee are complimentary. Extra add-ons include: Use of the Health Club - $8.00 per person per day; High Speed Internet Access (HSIA) - $10.95 for a 24-hour period (tax is included in price); Telephone - $1.00 for local, toll free & operator assisted calls. $.10 a minute for local calls over 60 minutes.

I added the information on the resort fee to my post above.. open to more suggestions. :)

...thanks for clearing that up.....when I made my ressies for the Dolphin the other day, I was told by the guy there that the $212.63 (room rate + tax) did NOT include that daily fee, which was extra.....hey, I'm all for saving a buck any which way I can...!!!:thumbsup2

Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin Resort ~

In the heart of the Walt Disney World® Resort, the award-winning Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is your gateway to Central Florida’s greatest theme parks and attractions. The resort is located in between Epcot® and Disney-MGM Studios and nearby Disney’s Animal Kingdom® Theme Park and Magic Kingdom® Park.

The Orlando International Airport is the most convenient choice if you are flying into Orlando. From there, it’s just a short 20 minute drive to the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin.

Once on property, Guests enjoy complimentary scheduled transportation around the Walt Disney World® Resort. Take a leisurely cruise on Disney’s Friendship Launch to Epcot® and Disney-MGM Studios or take a Disney shuttle bus to all other areas within Walt Disney World® Resort. The buses and Friendship launch arrive at the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin every 15 – 20 minutes so you can come and go as you please with very little wait time.

The Walt Disney World Dolphin
1500 Epcot Resorts Boulevard
Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830-2653
(407) 934-4000

The Walt Disney World Swan
1500 Epcot Resorts Blvd.
Lake Buena Vista FL 32830-2653
(407) 934-3000

You can make room reservation, room/view request and dining etc. from this link.
http://www.swandolphin.com/reserve/reservations.html

Swan/Dolphin Discounts for 2007 updated 03/24/2007 Discounts can be found at the link below.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1284875

You may want to join the Starwood program and earn points for your stay. It is possible to get an upgraded view even on your first stay. The Starwood program is free to join the link is below.
https://www.starwoodhotels.com/preferredguest/index.html

ACCOMODATION INFORMATION

STANDARD GUEST ROOMS

At the end of the day, our guest rooms offer the perfect retreat for rest and relaxation. All guest rooms at the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin have been redesigned with a fresh, contemporary look that reflects a luxurious sophistication designed by world-renowned architect, Michael Graves.

The centerpiece of these new rooms is the Heavenly Bed® - featuring a pillow-top mattress, a white goose-down comforter, and five overstuffed pillows. You don’t just sleep in it, you lose yourself in it.

In addition, custom designed carpeting and draperies, accented by a Graves-designed insignia, compliment new designer wall coverings.

Guest room features include:

King or queen/queen-bedded rooms (Swan wing)
King or double/double-bedded rooms (Dolphin wing)
Fresh, contemporary decor
High-speed Internet access (charges apply)
Refreshment center
In-room safe
27” Color/cable TV with remote control
Resort Information System – Interactive system on TV provides up-to-the-minute details on resort services, amenities, events and more
In-house movies (charges apply)
Non-smoking and disability accessible rooms
Full bath (additional private vanity in some rooms)
Two dual-line telephones (1 cordless) with voice mail messaging and data port
Individual climate control
Hair dryers
Make-up mirror
Iron/ironing board
Complimentary daily newspaper

SUITES

Slip into the luxurious comfort of the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin. Step inside and begin an adventure you'll never forget. Choose from a variety of 184 suites. Our award-winning accommodations provide you with a refuge so luscious, planning to spend an extra day or two is a wise decision. And, remember, your room is just one part of the attentive service you can expect. From check in to check out, you are our personal guest whose every need is our pleasure to accommodate.

Junior Suite (Located at the Dolphin)
A wonderful combination of luxury and comfort surround you within our Junior Suite.

Studio Suite (Located at the Swan)
A wonderful combination of luxury and comfort surround you within our Studio Suite.

Grand Suite (Located at the Swan)
Inspiring views of our magical surroundings combined with luxury and heavenly accommodations embraces you within our Grand Suite.

Executive Suite (Located at the Swan and Dolphin)
The luxurious charm and contemporary decor of our Executive Suite envelops you in the pure pleasure of lifetime memories.

Governor's Suite (Located at the Swan and Dolphin)
The ambiance of our Governor's Suite embraces you in world-class elegance and sophistication.

Is there a resort fee?

I heard there's a charge to park at the resort -- is this true?

Yes, the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin resorts charge for self-parking as well as valet parking. Self parking rate is $9 per day (plus tax), Valet is $12 per day (plus tax), and overnight is $16 per day (plus tax)

When can I check in?

Check in time at the Dolphin is 3 p.m. Early check in is available if your room is ready; if not, luggage storage is available for later check in. Check out time is 11 a.m. Guests can usually check out no later than 12:30 pm without penalty. Late check-outs are until 4 p.m. and are $30 extra... any later than that you'll be charged for a half-day (unless you stay for an additional night, then it is a full day's charge).

Starwood Preferred Guests can earn miles, inquire at check-in.

Are refrigerators available?

Small refrigerators are available to rent for $12 per day plus tax, based on availability. To use the mini-bar for your own personal use, there is a $20 charge.

Swimming Pools

The Dolphin and Swan share a magnificent swimming complex. You'll have your choice of two lap pools or the tropical "Grotto" to satisfy all of the water lovers. One lap pool is located near the Dolphin and the other is located near the Swan. Both have hot tubs, away from the liveliness of the "Grotto".

The Grotto is a 3 acre water playground complete with waterfalls, slides, water volleyball, and hot tubs. Tropical foliage surrounds the Grotto area, and the white sand beach nearby make it a perfect place to relax or have fun. DJ's are on hand to help keep the area lively and fun by playing great music and starting group games. A kiddie pool is near the Grotto for the little guys. Pool toys are also available for rent.

Camp Dolphin

There are 2 sessions available to children ages 4-12. The evening session is from 5:30pm to Midnight. It includes dinner, activities, trip to the Game Room, video games, arts and crafts and Disney movies. The cost is $10.00 per child per hour. Your child must be dropped off by 7:00pm. Reservations are required and cancellation less than 2 hours prior will result in a full charge. The programs are staffed by counselors. Camp Dolphin is located in the Dolphin hotel on the first floor next to the Health Studio.

Recreational activities at the Dolphin and Swan Resort

There is a beautiful white sand beach with Swan watercraft rentals. The beach is quiet and peaceful in the hours after dark, which makes for a romantic spot. There are 4 tennis courts and a basketball court that are kept lighted throughout the night, for those that still have energy left over after a day at the parks. A large play area for children is located near the Grotto. A jogging and walking path winds around the Dolphin and Swan. Add to that the boardwalk around Crescent Lake (near the Yacht & Beach Clubs and the BoardWalk), and you'll have quite an extensive walk or jog.

Electric Boat Rentals - Recline and relax on a leisurely ride around Crescent Lake on a Chaise Lounger which can accommodate up to two adults.

There are 2 health clubs servicing the complex -- one at the Dolphin and one at the Swan. Massage therapy and Body Treatments are available for a fee at the health clubs. Saunas, whirlpools, and aerobics are also offered.

For those that like their indoor activities a little less strenuous, there is a video game room on the lower level.

Fantasia Gardens is a few minutes walk away. This miniature golf adventure opened in the spring of 1996, and includes two 18-hole courses. There is something for everyone-- fun and Disney magic on the Fantasia Gardens course and a more challenging game on Fantasia Fairways.

Don't forget to explore activities offered at the nearby BoardWalk and Yacht & Beach Clubs.

Guest Laundry Information

There is a coin operated laundry located on the first floor of The Dolphin. Washers are $1.50 per load and dryers are $1.50 for 45 minutes. The machines do not take quarters however. You must convert them to special 25 cent tokens at the laundry.

Renovation information as of August 31, 2007 as reported by BaciBecky :)

Both Swan and Dolphin have recently completely renovating the public area.

Swan rooms are in process of being refurbished, beginning at the upper level rooms, working down, scheduled to be completed early December.

Dolphin room refurb will begin when Swan is completed.

DINING INFORMATION

Menus can be found at Deb's site.
http://www.allearsnet.com/menu/menus.htm#res

CASUAL DINING

Relax and enjoy a perfect meal without worrying about the dress code. Our casual dining options include Fresh Mediterranean Market, The Fountain, Cabana Bar & Grill, and Splash Terrace. You will find that these restaurants offer a vast selection of entrées sure to please every member of your family.

Garden Grove
Enjoy buffets for breakfast and dinner or casual a la carte favorites for lunch in Garden Grove, recently redesigned with a Central Park theme. Disney character dining featured nightly or for breakfast on Saturdays and Sundays. Perfect for family dining.

Fresh Mediterranean Market
Savor fresh, made-to-order menu items from our Mediterranean-style market. Open for breakfast and lunch.

The Fountain
Crisp salads, custom grilled burgers, and a delectable array of sandwiches and desserts. Take away homemade or soft serve ice cream. Open for lunch and dinner.

Cabana Bar and Grill
Poolside fun with sandwiches, salads, ice-cold beverages, and more. Open seasonally for lunch and snacks.

Splash TerraceLunch, snacks and ice cream, just steps from the pool and white sand beach. Outdoor seating with table service. Open seasonally.

SIGNATURE DINING

Enjoy an exquisite meal where the setting, menu and service create a unique dining experience. Our signature restaurants are anything but ordinary. Celebrity chefs and award-winning architects have brought four of the most breath-taking restaurants to our resort. Click the links below to learn more and reserve your table at one of these innovative and award-winning restaurants.

Il Mulino New York Trattoria
Traditional Italian cuisine from the Abruzzi region of Italy, served in a dynamic rustic trattoria. Features a diverse offering of exciting and bountifully presented dishes, prepared from original Italian recipes. Open for dinner.

For dining reservations, call 407-934-1609.

Todd English's bluezoo
Enjoy coastal cuisine from celebrity Chef Todd English, incorporating an innovative selection of fresh seafood in an energetic and vibrant atmosphere. AAA Four Diamond Award and three-time recipient of Wine Spectator’s Award of Excellence. Open for dinner.

For dining reservations, call 407-934-1111.

Shula's Steak House
Shula’s serves only the biggest and the best, including Certified Angus Beef®, the freshest seafood, and 3-5 lb. live Maine lobsters. Critic’s choice for Orlando’s Best High-End Steak House, critic’s choice for best chain and seven-time recipient of Wine Spectator’s Award of Excellence. Open for dinner. .

Kimonos
Experience the art of sushi, karaoke, and an intimate atmosphere in our authentic Japanese sushi restaurant. Open for dinner.

QUICK SERVICE

Sometimes a quick bite is just right! If you’re looking for a light lunch, a snack or drink, you’ll find that we offer some delicious options.

PicabuA curious gallery of evocative food and decor, Picabu was created to delight both kids and the young at heart. The always-open adventure eatery serves up an affordable and unique dining option for the entire family in a buffet/cafeteria setting. The centerpiece is Picabu, a delightful and adventurous wood-carved and brightly painted animated character who diners will find behind every corner leading the way through the unique and unforgettable dining experience. Picabu, designed by Kakadu Art & Design in Wood, Ltd. will fascinate kids (and parents) as they make their way through the restaurant’s selection of America’s favorite foods. Open 24 hours a day; seven days a week, Picabu is located in the Dolphin wing, and also offers a 24-hour sundries shop that includes toiletries, magazines, snacks and gifts.

Splash Grill
Just a few steps from the Swan lap pool, Splash Grill is the perfect choice for lunch if you’re anxious to get back in the water. Enjoy a variety of all-American lunchtime favorites like pizza, sandwiches, burgers and more. Self service restaurant with indoor seating. Open seasonally for lunch and snacks.

Java BarAn inviting and relaxed setting to enjoy espresso, cappuccino, or variety of coffees, along with a selection of freshly prepared pastries. Also serving an assortment of other refreshing beverages.

24-HOUR ROOM SERVICE

We know you have a busy schedule – you’re at Walt Disney World! Sometimes you don’t have time to wait for table service or maybe you just don’t want to go out. And when those midnight-snack cravings set in…you can count on us. Just take a look at our 24-hour room service menu that you will find on your desk – we’ll bring your selections to your room and your appetite will be satisfied in no-time.

SPA INFORMATION

MANDARA SPA

The Mandara Spa at the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin blends the lovely resort architecture with its signature Balinese style to provide a fresh and original setting where guests may indulge in world class pampering and beauty services. From the moment the guest arrives all of the six senses of hearing, sight, sound, taste, touch and perception are aroused creating expectations of a memorable spa experience. The spa visit becomes an adventure both sensory and physical as guests explore the Tea Gardens’ unique “Asian Bale” and the Meditation Garden’s signature “Meru Temple”. The two beautiful interior gardens provide exotic retreats before guests begin the spa ritual. The spectacular Mandara Spa creates an unforgettable guest experience within a magical setting surrounded by the paradise that is the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin.

Elemis was created in 1990 as a lifestyle brand of aromatherapy products aimed at treating each person holistically with plant essential oils and marine extracts mixed in natural bases. Our philosophy was, and still is, based upon using the wisdom that had been learned by our forefathers thousands of years ago. Our product concept was designed to work in conjunction with our own exclusive services to ensure maximum relaxation & outstanding results are achieved…

Walk into a world of complete sensory heaven where time is left at the door and a new journey begins…

Your journey continues through The Ten Cultural Touches of Elemis, a new sequence of massage movements influenced and inspired by an exotic blend of cultures and techniques...

Swedish Massage
Balinese Massage
Reflexology
Elemis Aroma Stone Massage
Deep Tissue Massage
Nurturing Massage
Novalash – Eye lash extensions
Ionithermie Cellulite Reduction Treatment
Elemis Cellutox Aroma Spa Ocean Wrap
Elemis Musclease Aroma Spa Ocean Wrap
Traditional Javanese Lulur
Exotic Frangipani Body Nourish Wrap

PICTURES

Pictures of the Swan and Dolphin can be found at the link listed here.
http://www.swandolphin.com/gallery/index.html

360 degree photo tour is located at this link.
http://www.swandolphin.com/360/360tour.html

Narrated Video Tour
http://www.swandolphin.com/video/index.html

Slide Show of the Dolphin
http://www.allearsnet.com/acc/dolpss.htm

Slide Show of the Swan
http://www.allearsnet.com/acc/swanss.htm

DRIVING DIRECTIONS

How do I get to the resort?

Directions from Orlando International Airport (MCO) to the Swan and Dolphin Resorts:

Follow the signs for the South Exit from the airport to pick up SR417 South (also called the Central Florida GreeneWay) toward Disney World. Once on SR417, you'll have 2 toll plazas for $1 each. After the 2nd toll, take exit 6 (SR 536/International Drive). Go straight through two sets of traffic lights (first intersection will be International Drive; second will be SR535) which will put you on SR536. Continue straight on this road and go straight through the next set of lights. You will pass the Marriott Orlando World Center on the right and the Holiday Inn Family Suites on the left, then I-4.

Just after I-4, you'll pass under the WDW welcome arch. After passing under the WDW welcome arch, follow the signs for MGM/Epcot Resort area -- it will be the 2nd exit after the arch. This will put you on Buena Vista Drive. Stay in the middle lane. Follow Buena Vista Drive straight. You will pass Caribbean Beach Resort on your left and the Boardwalk Resort on your right. Get over to the right hand lane as you pass the Boardwalk. Turn right at the next set of lights (Epcot Resorts Boulevard). The Swan will be the first street on the right. The Dolphin will be down a little further on the right.

A couple of more updates to add (do not think I read these above):

As of 8/31/07

Refurbished rooms Swan: All floors by early December, call front desk or ask at check-in which floors are cmpleted for dates prior to December.

Swan former smoking was floor 7th.

Rooms will be refurbished at Dolphin when Swan is completed.

Dolphin smoking rooms on 9th floor.

Thanks Mom Poppins! :flower3:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter