• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

NEW-EST...DOLPHIN/SWAN..."questions and answers"...tips and hints!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm actually waiting to hear from Bob at Dreams Unlimited, who booked it. I called him today and he said he would get back to me tomorrow -- so maybe I'll get something definitive then.

I have heard several people say they bring an air matress or if 3 of the people are small children have them sleep in 1 bed. Maybe you can get a rollaway, but for some reason, I thought I remembered someone say those were only at the Dolphin.

As a start to a grander project, I'm currently creating a map of the Swan (and then the Dolphin) that has all the room numbers and locations on them:

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1482912

If you've stayed at the Swan or Dolphin, know the room number(s), and can describe (or show me via pic) your location(s), you can help me a lot by PMing or e-mailing me the information. Thanks in advance.

DH will be using an ECV and we are staying at the Swan. Will we be able to walk/ride to EPCOT and MGM easily. Last time we drove to the parks and used the disabled parking. As we only had a smallish hire car this meant lots of assembling/dis-assembling the ECV. We did get very quick at it though by the end of the week. It would be lovely to not to have to worry about that for 2 of the parks at least.

Yes, it is an easy walk/ride to Epcot, a little bit further to MGM. Or, a boat ride to either is VERY easy, with the EVC also.

I have not been able to read every post on this thread (it would take a month of Sundays) but I have some questions I hope the S/D experts can answer.

We are looking to go for a weekend in Nov for DD's and my birthday (16th-18th) so we need 2 nights. DH can get the teacher discount, as he works at a school. We didn't want to rent a car, but since there is no ME service to S/D, I am not sure what to do. We are only planning to go to EC and MK for the two days and this way we could get to both parks easily (walk to EC, then take monorail to MK).

Is it better to rent a chepo car for the two days and pay to park it (we would arrive on Fri at about 11am and leave Sun afternoon) or should we try a car service?:confused3 I don't know what to do at this point.

Also, for our b-day on the 18th we want to go to Chef Mickeys for breakfast. What would be the easiest way to get there? I suppose if we have the car we could just drive there, but if not, then how? Bus, monorail?

The S/D look lovely and would be a real treat since I had originally planned on staying at POP. But DH wants to "splurge" a little so this seems like a good choice. We also debated staying at CR, but it would be a considerable bit more for the two nights.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

I have not been able to read every post on this thread (it would take a month of Sundays) but I have some questions I hope the S/D experts can answer.

We are looking to go for a weekend in Nov for DD's and my birthday (16th-18th) so we need 2 nights. DH can get the teacher discount, as he works at a school. We didn't want to rent a car, but since there is no ME service to S/D, I am not sure what to do. We are only planning to go to EC and MK for the two days and this way we could get to both parks easily (walk to EC, then take monorail to MK).

Is it better to rent a chepo car for the two days and pay to park it (we would arrive on Fri at about 11am and leave Sun afternoon) or should we try a car service?:confused3 I don't know what to do at this point.

Also, for our b-day on the 18th we want to go to Chef Mickeys for breakfast. What would be the easiest way to get there? I suppose if we have the car we could just drive there, but if not, then how? Bus, monorail?

The S/D look lovely and would be a real treat since I had originally planned on staying at POP. But DH wants to "splurge" a little so this seems like a good choice. We also debated staying at CR, but it would be a considerable bit more for the two nights.

All other things being equal, I would rent a car. Getting to MK by walking to Epcot and then taking the monorail will take a while, since when you walk to Epcot, you enter through the International Gateway, which puts you in World Showcase, and then you must walk all the way to the front of Future World. Also, having a car would make it much easier to get to Chef Mickey's at the Contemporary.

-- Dave

I would just get a towncar service for getting to and from the airport and then rely on Disney Buses or boats for the remainder of your stay. It would be much cheaper. To get to Chef Mickey's you could also take the MK bus and either walk or monorail to the Contemporary from MK. Probably would be faster than the Epcot monorail route as previously mentioned. Or you could just take a taxi.

I agree with that also, a towncar is probably best bet if no rental. And, as said, a bus to MK and walk or monorail over to CR would be much better and quicker than doing the Epcot/monorail route. You still would need to transfer to resort monorail at TTC to get to CR if using the Epcot monorail.

To get to Chef Mickey's you could also take the MK bus and either walk or monorail to the Contemporary from MK. Probably would be faster than the Epcot monorail route as previously mentioned.

We've taken the bus to MK and walked (or monorailed) to the Contemporary from the Dolphin often - it's an easy trip.

Thank you everyone for your responses. Does anyone know how much a car service would run aprox? We can rent an economy car thru Dollar for about $60 for the weekend, but then we would have to pay $24 for parking (3 days x $8/day).

Again, thanks for the help.:thumbsup2

Thank you everyone for your responses. Does anyone know how much a car service would run aprox? We can rent an economy car thru Dollar for about $60 for the weekend, but then we would have to pay $24 for parking (3 days x $8/day).

Again, thanks for the help.:thumbsup2

For a round trip town car (the right size for 2 people), most companies cost $90 to $100 plus tip. They will also include a 30 minute grocery stop. Check out the transportation board for recommendations and questions you may have. Those folks are super helpful.

Tiffany Town Car Service is picking up all 5 of us from MCO in a Van and dropping us off at the Swan, and then returning us to MCO at the end of our stay for $105 round trip (excluding tip). They were the least expensive and the most highly recommended town car service.

For me this is an imperative service and non-negotiable. I would never even consider ME because I love private car service. So I just include it in my budget - regardless of where I stay.

Tiffany Town Car Service is picking up all 5 of us from MCO in a Van and dropping us off at the Swan, and then returning us to MCO at the end of our stay for $105 round trip (excluding tip). They were the least expensive and the most highly recommended town car service.

For me this is an imperative service and non-negotiable. I would never even consider ME because I love private car service. So I just include it in my budget - regardless of where I stay.

We had excellent service last year with Southern Elegance. Just another option to check. :)

The beauty of the S/D is that there is a National rental desk at the hotel. So you rent the car at the airport and turn it in same day at the Dolphin. It's as easy as handing the keys to the valet, and it's taken care of. What's a cheapo rental? $30.00? Then rent a car again on the day you leave, from the S/D to the airport. Another $30.00. Total cost, $60.00, no parking fee. That's what we do.

Also, remember that you can only catch the monorail at Epcot and take it to MK if you have a parkhopper. Otherwise, once you enter Epcot to walk through to the monorail, you've used that day's ticket. Again, that's what we have done to get to the MK from the S/D. I think it's more fun and adventurous to walk through England and Canada and board a monorail to the MK, than getting on a dumb old bus.

As far as Chef Mickey's, your best bet is to bus to the TTC, then take the monorail, or bus to MK and walk or take the monorail.

- msc

The beauty of the S/D is that there is a National rental desk at the hotel. So you rent the car at the airport and turn it in same day at the Dolphin. It's as easy as handing the keys to the valet, and it's taken care of. What's a cheapo rental? $30.00? Then rent a car again on the day you leave, from the S/D to the airport. Another $30.00. Total cost, $60.00, no parking fee. That's what we do.

Also, remember that you can only catch the monorail at Epcot and take it to MK if you have a parkhopper. Otherwise, once you enter Epcot to walk through to the monorail, you've used that day's ticket. Again, that's what we have done to get to the MK from the S/D. I think it's more fun and adventurous to walk through England and Canada and board a monorail to the MK, than getting on a dumb old bus.

As far as Chef Mickey's, your best bet is to bus to the TTC, then take the monorail, or bus to MK and walk or take the monorail.

- msc

Are you serious!!!??? That does seem easy! So you drive up to the S/D in your rental car, unload the luggage, return the car. The day you leave, rent a car, return it at the airport. Can you really do both rentals for only $60 total? That would be less than the towncar because don't forget...you have to tip the driver both ways too!

Are you serious!!!??? That does seem easy! So you drive up to the S/D in your rental car, unload the luggage, return the car. The day you leave, rent a car, return it at the airport. Can you really do both rentals for only $60 total? That would be less than the towncar because don't forget...you have to tip the driver both ways too!
Oh and don't forget the tolls. . .the 105 for Tiffany's includes the tolls. . .we just tip extra. . .

- msc
I priced out the rental from National and it was $92 for one day (only 2 hours) I can rent through Dollar for the whole 3 days for $71.00 TOTAL. So we are going to go with Dollar at the airport (we have used them a number of times, and will again this Sept when DH and I go alone). Then we can drive to Contempory for Chef Mickeys and then go to DTD before heading to the airport.

I appreciate everyones help. I will try to read all the posts on this thread so that I am up to speed on the delights of S/D.

Thanks!!!:goodvibes

Using Dollar is a wise choice! We've been renting from them for at least 4 years now, and every time with the exception of once we were upgraded. In May we got a red Mustange as opposed to a Sebring! We didn't complain! One year we got a Dodge Durango with a Hemi for the price of an intermediate. Dollar car rental all the way for us!

Have a great trip!

Another question: Does anyone know how far (in aprox distance) it is to walk from the Swan to the Int'l Gateway of Epcot? Or about how long it takes if you walk at an average pace? Trying to get the timing down for dinner on our first night there. Thanks!!!

OR How long does the boat take? How often do they run??

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter