New Issue with the buses as well as an old one

Thanks for your reply, Sue. The reason I thought it might be a new thing is that various CM's at TSM (multiple times riding), both at loading and farther down the line, differed on whether the pack needed to come off and whether it mattered if it was a "medical bag." Perhaps as you said it depends on whether a particular CM prefers to assess the need or has a standing practice of automatically asking that packs be removed.

I don't mind taking it off for safety or if it's policy, but since not everyone had us do it, I'm curious as to what the actual requirements are and whether I could avoid the need to remove a pack by using one that is smaller or shorter, for example. No one told us *why* they wanted the pack off, so I don't know if it was size, weight, or that it was in the way of seeing the tie downs--or if they just want all packs off. I don't suppose the policy is in writing anywhere for guests to know what is required??

Thanks again for your help.
I have not seen it in writing, but it may be that with the buses, they also did some other training.
There have been times when the CM was not able to get the back of the ride car to latch on some of the rides I mentioned, so they said DD’s bag had to come off. Some of the CMs are probably more proactive about it and ask for it to be removed rather than try it.

It does seem to be a work in progress. I do know right now there is not a consistant policy(atleast not one followed by all drivers).

Well, not to anger anyone but I actually kind of like the mainstream line process. (I am an ECV user.) Personally, I would rather wait in line for another bus than endure dirty looks from people who think I am "cutting" in line.

Having said that, a couple of times when I've gotten in the mainstream line one of the line attendants (usually at busier times) have taken me out of line and placed me so I could be loaded first.

There does need to be a consistent policy however. I think this is one of those situation where you "can't please all the people all of the time."

I have really only had one trip when someone seemed annoyed about the ECV loading and such. There was a lady staying in the same section at my resort (SSR-Grandstand) and it seemed like she and I were on the same schedule. Our groups would get to the resort bus stop at the same time(s) and be going to the same park(s) most days. She did a lot of eye-rolling and whispering to her friends. My friends and I just laughed.

Even so, I like to avoid conflict (go figure, I'm a lawyer) so would rather wait in the regular line like everyone else even if I end up getting inconvenienced. And, if I "step aside" because I can't be loaded because the bus is already partially loaded then I feel justified being at the front of the line for the next bus and getting loaded first. Just my preference.

The only time I really fumed was when I was leaving AK one day (they still had the wheelchair waiting area). The bus pulled up and started loading AB passengers. One of my friends ran up and told the bus driver she had an ECV to load. It so happened the "rolling-eye" lady and her daughter had loaded! So they sat in the front bench--with the lady rolling her eyes of course--until the ECV and my friends (2) loaded, and then the rest of the line got on.

Well, not to anger anyone but I actually kind of like the mainstream line process. (I am an ECV user.) Personally, I would rather wait in line for another bus than endure dirty looks from people who think I am "cutting" in line.

Having said that, a couple of times when I've gotten in the mainstream line one of the line attendants (usually at busier times) have taken me out of line and placed me so I could be loaded first.

There does need to be a consistent policy however. I think this is one of those situation where you "can't please all the people all of the time."

I have really only had one trip when someone seemed annoyed about the ECV loading and such. There was a lady staying in the same section at my resort (SSR-Grandstand) and it seemed like she and I were on the same schedule. Our groups would get to the resort bus stop at the same time(s) and be going to the same park(s) most days. She did a lot of eye-rolling and whispering to her friends. My friends and I just laughed.

Even so, I like to avoid conflict (go figure, I'm a lawyer) so would rather wait in the regular line like everyone else even if I end up getting inconvenienced. And, if I "step aside" because I can't be loaded because the bus is already partially loaded then I feel justified being at the front of the line for the next bus and getting loaded first. Just my preference.

The only time I really fumed was when I was leaving AK one day (they still had the wheelchair waiting area). The bus pulled up and started loading AB passengers. One of my friends ran up and told the bus driver she had an ECV to load. It so happened the "rolling-eye" lady and her daughter had loaded! So they sat in the front bench--with the lady rolling her eyes of course--until the ECV and my friends (2) loaded, and then the rest of the line got on.

Wait no one told the lady if she keeps rolling her eyes they might fall out of her head.

I think the biggest issue right now is no one knows what to do.
If you get into the line, the driver might tell you that you don’t belong there.

If you get into the line, the driver might not see you and might load someone else who waited to the side.

If you don’t get into line, the driver might tell you that you need to get into the line (and have you join the end of the line, where you may be joining after people who got into line after you arrived.

If they want to have a policy, they need to make it clear to people and then stick to it.

I agree with you Sue. On our next trip, I will be using my scooter and the buses, and this thing with the way they are handling the lines has me a bit baffled and scared as to how this is going to work. There is also the possibility of having another person in our party in a wheelchair, so all these logistics as to how things work kind of falls on me, since I have the most experience with Disney and being handicapped.

I think the biggest issue right now is no one knows what to do.
If you get into the line, the driver might tell you that you don’t belong there.

If you get into the line, the driver might not see you and might load someone else who waited to the side.

If you don’t get into line, the driver might tell you that you need to get into the line (and have you join the end of the line, where you may be joining after people who got into line after you arrived.

If they want to have a policy, they need to make it clear to people and then stick to it.

This is going to make my trip more stressful. I actually bought our flight tickets yesterday for our December trip, my mom and I. I was so afraid of doing the trip because of not having extra help with my mom there and now I'll be contending with this issue. It's hard enough as is without making it even harder. I'll be asking at the front desk of the resort and the park CMs what is their take on it. I'll have their names memorized, too.

I kind of like the idea of the mainstream line also. I won't have to wonder if people are annoyed at me "cutting" the line in my ECV.

The only thing I don't like about it is: before, the bus was usually empty when I parked. Now, everyone will get to see me trying to maneuver my scooter into the spot! :scared1:

This is going to make my trip more stressful. I actually bought our flight tickets yesterday for our December trip, my mom and I. I was so afraid of doing the trip because of not having extra help with my mom there and now I'll be contending with this issue. It's hard enough as is without making it even harder. I'll be asking at the front desk of the resort and the park CMs what is their take on it. I'll have their names memorized, too.

The CM's at the park and at the front desk may not be the best ones to ask. For transportation matters you may want to speak to actual transportation CM's. All of the parks have a little transportation office. You can ask there, you may also want to ask the "clipboard" CM's you may see in the actual bus loading areas at the parks. And they can also call a transportation manager for you.

From what I have seen, most resorts still have the square box painted at the resort where ecvs are expected to wait. It sounds like most of the confusion is happening at the parks. But on the plus side-they have transportation CM's that "should" be able to answer your questions.

I won't be using the busses until December, and I'm not looking forward to dealing with confusion. I will hope for the best and keep coming back here for any updates from those who have recently visited, so thanks for sharing!---Kathy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter