New law, parents/kids sitting together

Interesting thread. Amazed that there are people with children who want to sit together but won’t pay if there is an option to secure seats together, or In the case of SW pay early boarding fee. I fly and book my seat always, because of knee surgery I need an aisle.
This seat stuff is news to me. I fly Alaska and there is no up charge for booking seat. When I flew SW once, I paid for early bird.

I would hope that the onus is on the parents, not the airlines.

To quote a poster I've sometimes hung in my classroom: "Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."

As you may know there are numerous categories within economy. My family of 5 often has trouble because there may be 4 seats in one sub-category and we will all get bumped up to the next higher prices category with 5 seats as opposed to be i g sold the 4 lower prices seats and one higher priced. Now this is all within the same economy cabin. None of the seats are any different. The airline s also will block out seats forcing me to upgrade to premium seats which are widely available to fit 5 across.
The airlines are playing dirty here, not parents!

I don't mind paying extra on a discount carrier, but a legacy carrier that has rigged seating allotments (which I know they do because I have called to have my family seated together when seats appeared as "unavailable" but we re not sold. The airlines try to force is into spending more on premium by blocking much of economy. At least this has been my experience.

As you may know there are numerous categories within economy. My family of 5 often has trouble because there may be 4 seats in one sub-category and we will all get bumped up to the next higher prices category with 5 seats as opposed to be i g sold the 4 lower prices seats and one higher priced. Now this is all within the same economy cabin. None of the seats are any different. The airline s also will block out seats forcing me to upgrade to premium seats which are widely available to fit 5 across.
The airlines are playing dirty here, not parents!

Do what many do--pay for the 4 seats and the go back and pay for the 1. For airline seats the price goes up as the supply goes down. It is not "rigged" it is how they sell their seats.

My family of 5 has never had a problem buying what we're willing to spend money to pay for.

And, as you can see from my signature, our first trip as a family to WDW was in 2008-- my kids were 8, 6, and 3. Then and now, we paid for, and got, 3 seats in one row and 2 in the row behind it. One adult per row, and everyone within snack-sharing distance.

We buy our tickets early enough that there's no problem choosing rows with openings in that configuration. We've had tickets for our July trip for several months.

Last edited:
Do what many do--pay for the 4 seats and the go back and pay for the 1. For airline seats the price goes up as the supply goes down. It is not "rigged" it is how they sell their seats.

When we flew to Italy last summer, I needed 5 seats together. I had to call the airlines after I purchased tickets (with a 3:2 combo) to see if the blocked seats could be opened. The agent had the blocked seats opened and moved all 5 of us into a row together. The agent shared with me that the airline blocks out seats that they release at a later date. Why would the airline block out seats at all? Particularly seats that are blocked in a pattern. This is not happenstance, there is deliberate decision making involved.

I think most people never even realize that they are bumped up to the next fare class, and would purchase all the Lowe priced tickets and the additional higher priced ones. That this isn’t done automatically is an unacceptable practice.

We travel domestically and internationally consistently. There aren’t always issues, but I do in depth research every time. I am simply suggesting that the US based operators could make things clearer, as their European counterparts do. And, airlines could be more accommodating to families and older people.

Let's make sure you nitpick on this part of the post instead of any acknowledgement of a 6 year old cancer patient and that they're now well. Gheesh.

I’m not sure the pp is even going to remember making the post you quoted, considering it was almos 2 years ago. Why drag up this thread again?

I’m not sure the pp is even going to remember making the post you quoted, considering it was almos 2 years ago. Why drag up this thread again?
Just shocked at how people treat others on this thread and most are vets. As a new person here, it leaves me with the impression that there are vets who like to pile on people and look for disagreements. I think it's important for someone to stick up for people who are treated rudely.

Just shocked at how people treat others on this thread and most are vets. As a new person here, it leaves me with the impression that there are vets who like to pile on people and look for disagreements. I think it's important for someone to stick up for people who are treated rudely.

That might work better if we knew who you were sticking up for. As it is, you come of sounding like you are looking for a disagreement, as I (and apparently other posters) have no idea what you are taking about. I've tried looking back thru some posts and can't figure it out.

I guess I’m confused as to how you’re drawing conclusions regarding the current environment on these boards based on a thread that’s 2 years old.

The agent shared with me that the airline blocks out seats that they release at a later date. Why would the airline block out seats at all?

I'm guessing (just guessing, because I love a good puzzle!) that it's exactly so they can accommodate groups like yours who do call. If they didn't release things in blocks, I could see a lot of people flying alone filling up all the aisles and windows, leaving only middles, so larger groups can't find anything together at all.

This is why we fly airlines where you select your seats in advance. I don't want to chance that my family will be spread out over three rows. It's a choice you make - sure, it's cheaper to fly on some of the airlines where they assign your seats, but you're taking a chance. Now, if you choose your seats in advance and show up to find that you've been spread out over the plane, that's a whole different story (as happened to my SIL in April - 4 kids, 4 different rows).

This, exactly. We used to fly Southwest to Orlando because it was cheap but the last time we tried to fly, they informed us that our 4 year old would NOT be guaranteed a seat next to us b/c they only prioritize seating for families with children under 4. I was able to negotiate with people ON the flight myself to arrange for my daughter to be seated with me (surprise, surprise, the random stranger didn't want to be seated next to a unattended 4 year old - lol!). That was 4 years ago and I've never flown Southwest or similar since. It just isn't worth the savings in my mind.

I’m confused. Why do you have to pay extra to get seats together? We fly delta all the time and pick our seats online when booking or on the app. If they switch your seats later shame on them. If you have little kids I’d bet money another passenger would switch seats. Buy them a drink or something. I had one flight we had to switch seats for kids and the flight attendant gave the switcher a personal movie player. That may have been Alaska but delta is pretty customer friendly. Get decent seats (don’t pick all middle) and someone will switch I would bet. Especially for little kids. Nobody wants to sit next to a squirmy kid w no responsible parent. Even older kids you can probably switch w a single rider in a middle seat or even for an equivalent seat. I’ve switched seats so adults can sit together. There’s enough people, esp compassionate parents/grandparents, someone will help.

I’d look online for seats, maybe call the airline, ask the attendants at check in then if all that fails beg other passengers. That’s me though and we’re already paying a ton for a flight.

It's rigged, JetBlue does it all the time and I have to do exactly what you said.
You can search 4 tickets and it will say "the last 4" tickets at $250 but if you search 5 it says $300.
Here comes the shocker ;), if I buy "the last 4" and go back to get the 1 extra guess what it's $250 too.
They make it so if you want/need a higher number you pay more or play their game.
The other rigged **** they do it not allow you to add checked bags to half the party. So let's say you only need 3 bags of the 5, you are better off buying 3 tickets and then 2 or you are forced to adds bags fees to all 5

If they switch your seats later shame on them.

This is why I will never fly United after I booked seats on an international flight all together, and at the airport they said the plane configuration had changed and move us to literally four different corners of the plane (my twins at the time had just turned 4 years old). The flight attendant refused to help me, and I was in tears. This is why I actually PREFER Southwest because with their family boarding system after the "A" group, as long as I line up well in advance of boarding I know I can sit with my kids.

I find it really interesting that there is an acceptance of the idea that a family with young children should have to pay a premium (of any kind) to ensure their young children aren't seated with strangers.

I find it really interesting that there is an acceptance of the idea that a family with young children should have to pay a premium (of any kind) to ensure their young children aren't seated with strangers.
It’s my responsibility as a parent to make sure my child is safe. If that mean when I book a flight and the only seats that are together require one or more pay an upcharge, that is part of my parential responsibilities. Now we usually fly JetBlue and unless I need to upgrade to extra leg room I pay the same for window, aisle or middle. I would choose a different flight if I could not book seats together if I needed them. I wouldn’t choose seats apart and expect people to move to accommodate us. That just rude imo
If after I book they move us, then it’s on them to find us seats together.

The dirt cheap, base fares are ONLY for people who don't care where they sit.
The rest of us shop fares with our specific preferences and needs in mind.

The dirt cheap, base fares are ONLY for people who don't care where they sit.
The rest of us shop fares with our specific preferences and needs in mind.

I'm in that "us", my kids are tweens now but have flown plenty when they were younger. I do not agree at all that families with young children should be penalized simply for having young children - it's not like they can choose out of their kids' ages. If a child is not able to be an unaccompanied minor on a flight according to the airline's own policies, the airline should not force their parents to pay additional charges so that they are seated with a guardian.

I'm in that "us" and i'll try to see past the implied assumption that I don't "get it", my kids are tweens now but have flown plenty when they were younger. I do not agree at all that families with young children should be penalized simply for having young children - it's not like they can choose out of their kids' ages. If a child is not able to be an unaccompanied minor on a flight according to the airline's own policies, the airline should not force their parents to pay additional charges so that they are seated with a guardian.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter