new potter coaster?

I was really hoping that email would include dates for passholder previews. I called Universal last week, and they had no information about it

I do not know if this is literal, or just slightly misleading, but I thought "For your journey you can either ride the motorcycle or board the adjacent sidecar, providing two unique experiences." Sounds interesting, however, since we at the moment know anything that implies that the bike and cars separate at one point, I guess the "two unique experiences" is the fact that you're sitting in a different ride vehicle (technically), or that you might have a different POV during the ride.

I do not know if this is literal, or just slightly misleading, but I thought "For your journey you can either ride the motorcycle or board the adjacent sidecar, providing two unique experiences." Sounds interesting, however, since we at the moment know anything that implies that the bike and cars separate at one point, I guess the "two unique experiences" is the fact that you're sitting in a different ride vehicle (technically), or that you might have a different POV during the ride.

All of the different show scenes look to be on the left side of the tracks. The side car will thus be lower and closer to them, which still allows the person riding higher up on the bike to see them unobstructed. That'll likely be the extent of the differences.

Same to say as sitting in the far right seat on FJ means you get the dragon blast straight to the face as opposed to the other riders who see it a bit from the side.

Parents with young children be aware this attraction has a height restriction of 48 inches minimum with top speed of 50 mph

All of the different show scenes look to be on the left side of the tracks. The side car will thus be lower and closer to them, which still allows the person riding higher up on the bike to see them unobstructed. That'll likely be the extent of the differences.

Same to say as sitting in the far right seat on FJ means you get the dragon blast straight to the face as opposed to the other riders who see it a bit from the side.

They released a video of Tom Felton as well as Alan Gilmore speaking of the details of ride. Alan stated that depending on which one you sit in you feel a different experience, so you will get a different experience depending on which vehicle you choose.

Which makes sense, as normally when you go on a bike like that, I would imagine it would feel different in either end whether in the bike, or cart. Also, due to the fact they shown they can not only combine the concept of roller coaster with simulation (Gringott's). I'm wondering if certain parts of the ride, they will legitimately move the bike one way, while the cart moves another.

They released a video of Tom Felton as well as Alan Gilmore speaking of the details of ride. Alan stated that depending on which one you sit in you feel a different experience, so you will get a different experience depending on which vehicle you choose.

Which makes sense, as normally when you go on a bike like that, I would imagine it would feel different in either end whether in the bike, or cart. Also, due to the fact they shown they can not only combine the concept of roller coaster with simulation (Gringott's). I'm wondering if certain parts of the ride, they will legitimately move the bike one way, while the cart moves another.

Track layout is all done. There is no where I can see that they can separate the Bike from the Sidecar to go in different directions/routes based on the finalized design and what's been built.

I know what was said in the video. I just think it's a big overstatement on their part as to how "different" the experience will be between bike and sidecar other than slightly minor altered perspective based on how you're sitting.

From what I've read a lot of parents are not happy with the huge height requirement for this ride it could hurt them

From what I've read a lot of parents are not happy with the huge height requirement for this ride it could hurt them

Personally (for my own selfish reasons I admit) I'm happy with the higher height requirement.

• Means the ride is more thrilling
  • Lesser wait times with a shorter queue (since it further limits how many can ride)
Edit: to note, the majority of kids hit 48" between the ages of 6-8 so it's still pretty accessible to younger guest, just not those under the age of around 6-7ish

Edit #2: Further to the height requirements (and Universal in general) I'm happy that Universla skews a bit older. By the time my kids reached 7-8ish they were bored with Disney as they found the vast majority of the rides were too tame for their liking and we "graduated" up to Universal instead where the attraction mix was more thrilling for them.

Last edited:
Eh... Universal has always been geared toward the older crowd... If want kiddie rides go to Disney or Legoland. Everyone wants everything to suit their specific situation, just not how the real world works.
Don't think it will affect attendance, despite any grumblings.

Track layout is all done. There is no where I can see that they can separate the Bike from the Sidecar to go in different directions/routes based on the finalized design and what's been built.

I know what was said in the video. I just think it's a big overstatement on their part as to how "different" the experience will be between bike and sidecar other than slightly minor altered perspective based on how you're sitting.

No, what I meant was how in Gringott's they make the ride vehicles literally sway back and forth, move forward and back slightly, like a simulator does (while being on the same track). What I meant was the "feeling" could be in terms of it feels like a bike, it feels like you're in a cart next to a bike, but that in addition to that "feeling" could also mean they use slight motion within the vehicles themselves to make it feel "different".

For one example, while being on the same track, they could make the bike shake a little, while the cart might rock back and forth slightly.

It could be something as simple as you simply feel like you're on a bike, as to oppose a cart, but what I am speaking of is not impossible to do as they have already done it on Gringotts.

Last edited:
To be honest, I'm happy, as it just restricts parents from forcing their child to go onto a ride they potentially do not want to go on. I'm sure there are plenty of adventurous kids under that height and are dying to go on the ride, but their time will come.

And yes, while we all sometimes get scared, or worried about going on a ride, we eventually go on and find out it's amazing. For example, I'm a little worried about the "free fall" portion of the ride, however I'm going to suck it up, cause I know in the end I'll love it and it is only a fraction of the ride experience, even though my heart is going to drop out for a few seconds.

However, I do not know how many times I've seen children crying, screaming, or sometimes as simple as just begging due to not wanting to go onto a ride. Child swap exists for a reason, it's not just for babies. Also, if it's not the thrilling aspects it could be other things that could freak the child out. Can you imagine how some small children will react to seeing a three headed dog, or a fire breathing dragon?

It reminds me of how they had to make DH PG-13 due to the restrictions how many young people wouldn't be able to see it if it was R due to the same kind of complaints. If it's meant to be that way, maybe it should be. Luckily in this case, they stood their ground and made it a higher height requirement. I remember seeing the first half of DH for a midnight premiere with a couple who had a toddler and a baby a couple of rows in front of me. One of the first scenes alone is someone being murdered.

Reactions: EmJ
To be honest, I'm happy, as it just restricts parents from forcing their child to go onto a ride they potentially do not want to go on. I'm sure there are plenty of adventurous kids under that height and are dying to go on the ride, but their time will come.

And yes, while we all sometimes get scared, or worried about going on a ride, we eventually go on and find out it's amazing. For example, I'm a little worried about the "free fall" portion of the ride, however I'm going to suck it up, cause I know in the end I'll love it and it is only a fraction of the ride experience, even though my heart is going to drop out for a few seconds.

However, I do not know how many times I've seen children crying, screaming, or sometimes as simple as just begging due to not wanting to go onto a ride. Child swap exists for a reason, it's not just for babies. Also, if it's not the thrilling aspects it could be other things that could freak the child out. Can you imagine how some small children will react to seeing a three headed dog, or a fire breathing dragon?

It reminds me of how they had to make DH PG-13 due to the restrictions how many young people wouldn't be able to see it if it was R due to the same kind of complaints. If it's meant to be that way, maybe it should be. Luckily in this case, they stood their ground and made it a higher height requirement. I remember seeing the first half of DH for a midnight premiere with a couple who had a toddler and a baby a couple of rows in front of me. One of the first scenes alone is someone being murdered.

Absolutely. A great example too is The Mummy. My youngest when he was 8 was tall enough, rode it, and while the basic coaster elements he was fine with, all of the theming elements freaked him out.

I've been following this thread and don't know if we have an answer to this question already, so here goes: Do we think this ride will be available as part of Early Entry for onsite guests in September? I was reading that Universal Studios usually gets EE in September due to the shorter hours for HHN, and since it's the low season probably only one park will have Early Entry. But would they switch EE to IOA to keep up with demand for their new ride? Or do both parks? (A girl can dream!)

There aren’t enough crowds to have both parks opened for ee in September

I always check the calendar in the faq sticky to check which park has ee

I would hope the new Potter ride would be in the line up for ee!

I've been following this thread and don't know if we have an answer to this question already, so here goes: Do we think this ride will be available as part of Early Entry for onsite guests in September? I was reading that Universal Studios usually gets EE in September due to the shorter hours for HHN, and since it's the low season probably only one park will have Early Entry. But would they switch EE to IOA to keep up with demand for their new ride? Or do both parks? (A girl can dream!)

I doubt "they" know at this point, anything anybody else says is just a guess (a hope).

It hasn't even been announced if it will be part of EP.

I would think IoA would have EE once Hagrid's ride opens. The Studios have had EE for a while, but keep in mind the last two years have had new rides in the Studios (Fallon in '17 and Fast and Furious in '18) and that's on top of Diagon Alley being the newer Potter area. The year before was Kong, but I do not remember if they had EE in IoA that year. Hagrid is going to be a massive draw for USO this year (of course Star Wars is going to be bigger at WDW, but I say let's keep this to USO), so surely they will help out the on-site guests with an extra hour.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter