New space themed restaurant at Epcot

I like the idea. It works with current Epcot, but I Also think that could have been a good fit at MK, in the stitch building. With Tron coming in, it seems like tomorrow land is getting an update. I think MK could use another table service restaurant.

I'm cautious about the food...I'm curious about what their direction is going to be. Probably standard restaurant fare with space pun names? I hope they get experimental with at least some of it, it would make this concept even cooler!

I like the idea. It works with current Epcot, but I Also think that could have been a good fit at MK, in the stitch building. With Tron coming in, it seems like tomorrow land is getting an update. I think MK could use another table service restaurant.
There's been rumors of a haunted mansion themed restaurant, and still a possibility

My inner geek has always wanted to eat/drink in Ten Forward on the Enterprise, and since this seems about as close as I am ever going to get, I am pretty excited about this addition.

Now that Whoopi Goldberg is a Disney Legend maybe she can work the bar, reprising her role of Guinan

crazy excited about this, i hope the views are actual satellite images. im confident the food will be great its the same group that produced Via Napoli the first great pizza in florida :) . im from the NE and its comparable to our pizza here.

"Great" is a bit strong but it is the best pizza on property

I'm cautious about the food...I'm curious about what their direction is going to be. Probably standard restaurant fare with space pun names? I hope they get experimental with at least some of it, it would make this concept even cooler!

The Patina Group doesn't have any "bad" restaurants. They have quite the reputation for excellent food with several highly rated restaurants in NYC and Southern CA, including several restaurants at Downtown Disney in Anaheim that are ALL fanastic! They have a wide variety of different cuisines at their locations. They operate Morimoto Asia and the upcoming Edison at Disney Springs along with Tutto Italia and Via Napoli in Epcot. Check out their website (patinagroup.com) to see what their portfolio looks like.

This restaurant will be amazing. I can't wait! I don't expect punny space names. I imagine high end cuisine and a 2 TS credits categorization.

The Patina Group doesn't have any "bad" restaurants. They have quite the reputation for excellent food with several highly rated restaurants in NYC and Southern CA, including several restaurants at Downtown Disney in Anaheim that are ALL fanastic! They have a wide variety of different cuisines at their locations. They operate Morimoto Asia and the upcoming Edison at Disney Springs along with Tutto Italia and Via Napoli in Epcot. Check out their website (patinagroup.com) to see what their portfolio looks like.

This restaurant will be amazing. I can't wait! I don't expect punny space names. I imagine high end cuisine and a 2 TS credits categorization.
I would agree given the hype this could very easily be a 2 TS credit meal! Reservations are going to be so hard to get when this opens!

I wonder if he meant Walt's vision or those who originally designed the park. I can't see the relation to either one truth be told.

Re the bolded: I'm not so sure. I'm not loving the look of this restaurant personally. I find screens uninspiring because the lack of parallax always pulls me right out of the suspension of disbelief. That said, if the concept is honest, it looks like a 'serious' space theme rather than a Marvel/StarWars sci-fi do-over, which suggests that Disney could double down on the space exploration aspects of FW.

(In my dream scenario, they'd re-theme FW as an experimental space colony, or some such. The existing Earth-centric attractions such as Soarin', could be recast as educating colonists about their home planet. Similarly, LWTL works just as well in that model. I feel the idea of seeing Earth through the eyes of people who only know about it from those installations would resonate with a lot of kids, and might make them think about the world they have. Like I say, a dream. Wake me up when Nemo's is the Collector's fish tank, Soarin' is showing Soarin' thru Knowhere, and Spaceship Earth has been rethemed to a Wrinkle in Time.)

Now that Whoopi Goldberg is a Disney Legend maybe she can work the bar, reprising her role of Guinan

:P true! Although, I would prefer an appearance by Sir Patrick Stewart. Hoping the food and atmosphere are good. I am still a bit confused about the direction that Epcot is going in, as it seems Disney is less and less about cohesion, given whatever is going on at DHS, and what they are apparently planning at DCA, time will tell I guess.

I am guessing Wonders of Life too considering the building already has a "round" look to it. It may be easier to build a curved window looking out to space in a space that already looks space-like.

So is the Odyssey just going to sit and rot forever? They'd rather make a new restaurant in a new place then use an existing space?

It's hightly doubtful that WoL is used. That's over 2 acres of building right there. I believe Via Napoli (Italy) was the last "add on" restaurant and it's roughly 1/4 acre. There's enough land between MS and TT to construct a building of that size.

Screen Shot 2017-07-17 at 10.44.00 PM.png

This looks awesome. Will definitely plan to eat here.

When I did my Epcot Undiscovered tour on July 4th, we were told that Disney would have a surprise announcement at D23 about the Mission Space building and that the current refurb going on with Mission Space was probably not just a basic refurb- something special other than just a refurb was going on with the building. I guess this must have been it.

They are also updating Mission Space. They said that the green side will be open for guests of all ages, and that they are re-doing the visual effects.

http://attractionsmagazine.com/new-space-themed-restaurant-coming-epcots-future-world/

"In addition, when Mission: Space reopens from its current refurbishment, it will have some new upgrades courtesy of Industrial Light and Magic. The Orange “spinning” side of the attraction will still feature a mission to Mars, but with improved visuals. The Green “no spinning” side will have an entirely new “Earth orbit” mission designed for the whole family to comfortably enjoy"

(In my dream scenario, they'd re-theme FW as an experimental space colony, or some such. The existing Earth-centric attractions such as Soarin', could be recast as educating colonists about their home planet. Similarly, LWTL works just as well in that model. I feel the idea of seeing Earth through the eyes of people who only know about it from those installations would resonate with a lot of kids, and might make them think about the world they have. Like I say, a dream. Wake me up when Nemo's is the Collector's fish tank, Soarin' is showing Soarin' thru Knowhere, and Spaceship Earth has been rethemed to a Wrinkle in Time.)

Amazing thought!!! We could even take this one step further and extend it to World Showcase as a place to educate the colonists about the different cultures and countries from the planet they came from!

:P true! Although, I would prefer an appearance by Sir Patrick Stewart. Hoping the food and atmosphere are good. I am still a bit confused about the direction that Epcot is going in, as it seems Disney is less and less about cohesion, given whatever is going on at DHS, and what they are apparently planning at DCA, time will tell I guess.

Me too or else we will have to wear some kind of crazy space suit and eat through a straw or something...

I see the directions as:
-EPCOT: as Tom Fitzgerald said "where reality becomes fantastic and the fantastic becomes reality" - so exploring the world and making those experience more fantastic for the real world (so the Rat ride in France, etc.) and the fantastic more real (Mission Space, GotG, etc.). Only issue is that is sort of the theme of Magic Kingdom (or the original thought behind Disneyland - with Adventureland and Frontierland being make the real more fantastic, and experiencing that - and then Fantasyland and Tomorrowland being making the fantastic real - so hope they can differentiate it a bit

- DHS: I see this as becoming less about how movies are made and more about putting you into the movies - so ultra immersion. You are IN 1930's Hollywood, you are IN the backyard with the toys as a toy in Toy Story Land, you are IN the universe of Star Wars as an active participant, etc.

- DCA: Um, no idea really - seems to be just taking IP that they don't have much of in DLR (Marvel, Pixar, etc.) and putting it there

I see the directions as:
-EPCOT: as Tom Fitzgerald said "where reality becomes fantastic and the fantastic becomes reality" - so exploring the world and making those experience more fantastic for the real world (so the Rat ride in France, etc.) and the fantastic more real (Mission Space, GotG, etc.). Only issue is that is sort of the theme of Magic Kingdom (or the original thought behind Disneyland - with Adventureland and Frontierland being make the real more fantastic, and experiencing that - and then Fantasyland and Tomorrowland being making the fantastic real - so hope they can differentiate it a bit

- DHS: I see this as becoming less about how movies are made and more about putting you into the movies - so ultra immersion. You are IN 1930's Hollywood, you are IN the backyard with the toys as a toy in Toy Story Land, you are IN the universe of Star Wars as an active participant, etc.

- DCA: Um, no idea really - seems to be just taking IP that they don't have much of in DLR (Marvel, Pixar, etc.) and putting it there
Fine - but what does this all have to do with the Space restaurant?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter