Newbie and Need Advice

sPicks

Earning My Ears
I am my gifting my daughters family with a DVC ownership. (She has two children, age 2 and 4). They are going to use this for a LONG time. When she was young we visited WDW 17 times -- she LOVES WDW. Hold on to your britches.....I am purchasing $200,000 in points. I am paying the annual dues for 10 years -- I am also purchasing them (family of 4) annual passes (platinum plus) for the next 10 years. Still got your britches on?? Yes. Each year they will most probably travel with her husband's parents, so it will be a group of 6 (possibly 7). Because of their work schedules, they will most probably travel at the same times each year (1) Spring Break, March-April and/or (2) mid-summer. I have decided on Saratoga Springs for home. (These are frugal people, country, like the outdoors........would also like to consider Copper Creek for them .... the cabins). I do not know how to split the points. Should I even split the points?? What USE year should I choose??? BYW...this is a surprise for them. I want to have it all boxed up into a neat package when I present it to them. Please help with advise. Thank you.

Did I mention they are both school teachers...hence to travel dates. They are homebodies for the holidays and probably would not travel over Thanksgiving or Christmas.. Shame. I watch DIS Unplugged episodes on You Tube faithfully. Sorry, not retaining the information you are giving....or it is just all too confusing for me. Shout out to Pete (did you visit the Grand Bazaar in Istanbul?) And to Shaun (is it "Dream Vacations" where you work?) When she books her trips, does she need a travel agent, does she go directly through Disney Vacation Club? Many Thanks!

If spring is travel I would shoot for February or March UY. In terms of different home resorts, the big benefit would be to use the 11 month window to book what you want, when you want.

With that many points, it might not be a bad idea to choose 2. Obviously, the price will be different , but in terms of the cabins at CCV, I don’t think you’ll have a hard time at 7 months.

But, for the other room types you might so having points there would be a good thing, especially if they ever did want to travel during a peak holiday time.

Sounds like an amazing gift and they will love it!

So you want to buy them a contract at a resort that you select for them? What if they like a different resort better? Also consider buying several contracts instead of one large one. If they want to sell later, it's easier to sell smaller contracts.

:earsboy: Bill

So you want to buy them a contract at a resort that you select for them? What if they like a different resort better? Also consider buying several contracts instead of one large one. If they want to sell later, it's easier to sell smaller contracts.

:earsboy: Bill

Bill makes a very good point, IMHO it is much better to buy smaller contracts. If you look at the resale listings the smaller contracts always go for more money and they sell much faster. It's easier for people to put out smaller amounts of money rather then one large sum that most probably can't afford.

I wish I was your daughter! This is very generous of you, Lucky daughter! :thumbsup2

Would also consider getting 100 direct if you plan on buying annual passes for that long for the discount, even though they could take it away at any time. As people said before if you want to do a split of resale and direct you should buy resale first as disney can match the use year after direct.

I am not sure that you can surprise your DD’s family with a deeded interest in a DVC contract without her knowledge. I know when I purchased my contracts and added my son on the deeds, he had to sign all of the paperwork presumably because even though I paid cash for it all and pay the ongoing MFs, he is legally responsible for paying the MFs should something happen to me.
At your total you are looking at 1250 SSR points? Your current MFs would be around $8000 per annum, but in 10 years, they will be much higher, will your DD and family be in a position to assume such a large annual debt?
Realize that SSR is the cheapest of the WDW location DVC resorts on the resale market for several reasons - it is large, relatively easy to reserve, and not near any of the parks. Personally I’d opt for a different home resort, perhaps even two or three home resorts, the CCR cabins look lovely.

I agree with @sndral . You’re not going to be able to surprise them with a deeded interest in DVC. They need to sign on the dotted line. You also cannot pre-pay 10 years’ worth in dues. The best that you could do is set up an account from which the dues can be paid.

I also agree with others who have suggested purchasing multiple, smaller contracts (perhaps even a 100+ point direct contract for benefits) so that the family can downsize if necessary while still maintaining ownership of some points.

You may also want to explore setting this up as a trust instead of direct ownership by your daughter’s family.

Not to be a naysayer of an amazing gift. But 200000 will buy 2000 saratago points (resale), or about 1200 direct. Is your daughters family in a position to pay dues on that many points in 11 years? That could be about $15000-$20000 in 11 years.

What about buying 100k in points and using the other half to set up a trust for the dues? 1000 saratago points would still do almost 3 weeks in a 2 bedroom during the summer.

Either way, I would buy the points in increments of 200 pt contracts, to give them the ability to sell chunks in the future to meet their needs. A single massive contract would be almost impossible to sell on the resale market.

What a legacy and amazingly generous gift that will be enjoyed by so many! Booking is easily done online no travel agent needed. They just have to anticipate who is going, what accommodations are needed and a calendar - 11 months out at the home resort. The DVC website keeps track of your points and multiple reservations.

You might want to try to buy a dedicated week(s) directly through DVC with this purchase knowing they can also use them as regular points and, as of now anyway, there are discounts and perks with the blue card. 100 points minimum direct or whatever the week "costs" in points if you want/can get the dedicated week(s) and honestly, I don't know if those are readily available. You can also buy additional points at the same resort with same UY through resale - look for double or triple points and negotiate to get those past points for "free" or at a negotiated price - say half of the annual dues. It may take a bit more coordination on your part, but I can tell, you want to get this right. It's a great strategy to get your (their) cake and eat it too and gives you the best bang (and them the most points) for that big budget. They will then have lots of extra points for trips of a lifetime (cabin or grand villa) and possibly points to roll into next year and so on.

If they want to kick back, AKL is visually stunning, has many public places to hang out that feel intimate, you can enjoy giraffes and zebras from your porch. It truly feels like you are in Africa! Monorail resorts (I include CCR as you hop a boat to MK) have obvious advantages as do EPCOT resorts. Though some will disagree, I think RIV is not a great choice. I'm sorry, but I don't find SSR attractive in any way (I sold that contract). Maybe you want to give them all three resort areas which will give them the opportunity to rotate experiences or do split stays.

I would make a few phone calls to DVC and a few resale folks and hopefully find people who see your vision and make sure to take good notes...and try to let the cream float to the top (okay, I actually remember those glass milk bottles). I think, with the right advice and insight on your part, you can make all their dreams come true...how lovely!

I would buy them in 100-200 point increments.
The most I would do is half Saratoga to use as SAP but would suggest doing as many as possible at the resorts you want to stay at.

To All: Wow! I feel like "more money than brains"!! Certainly so. #1. I will hire an attorney that specializes in investments and trusts. Must! The trust is the way to go for annual dues, etc. I did have much gall in choosing resorts for her and her family (oops!). #2. Multiple contracts, for certain. (I never took resell into consideration). And obviously, now, she must know about this to sign all the paperwork. So, the "surprise" is squashed........SO WHAT??...........It is still a very nice gift for her and her family, right?? She has alot of decisions to make, not me (thank goodness). MickiMinni your second paragraph was amazing. Thank You very much. Many thanks to you all. From a family that went from staying at the Days Inn, off property for many years, this is incredible. Almost hard to digest. From humility and gratefulness we thank you.

You are so welcome! I, like most people here, take a thoughtful and serious approach through years (or decades) involved with DVC. You came to the right place. I sincerely hope you can find the right people to help you who are not impressed with your wealth, but are touched by your love for your family...those are the people that can guide you along the right path.

Edit - just had a thought about picking out something tangible from DVC that you can wrap up with a heartfelt note...bring the tissues!

I love surprises!! I would gather fun dvc guides and $200,000 can easily cover 250-300 points plus all dues for 50 years. An investment attorney could set up the trust to cover all increases in maintenance fees...honestly, would be worth discussing a direct from Disney option that allows you to prepay all remaining years at a bit of a discount. I would seriously consider Copper Creek- just because You get a longer contract- they would love it as a second home. I would get a March use year if possible.❤️❤️

If you really want the surprise, the trust could own the points. You can find out which resort she wants as home by having a talk with her where you say that you are going to buy DVC points - but since she may inherit and you anticipate she will get to use the points, you'd like her opinion on resorts.

I completely agree that with that much money, setting up a trust for the dues is the way to go - maybe even just a trust for travel - not only will dues be expensive in ten years, but park tickets will be. And so will food at Disney, airfare if they need it. As a frugal person myself, three weeks a year at Disney is simply NOT something I would be comfortable with - even if someone else was paying - all that money flying out into Disney's pockets with college and retirement to save for. Plus, although we've always liked Disney a lot - we also really prioritized travel - so my college aged children have been to Europe (a few times), Australia, Mexico, the Caribbean, Canada, and all over the U.S. (my daughter more than my son, he is more of a 'do I have to get up early and go to museums? I'll stay home.' sort of person.)

I don't much about it, but if your going to drop this much on DVC, is there not a new Club 33 at WDW that you can buy your way in without knowing someone? May be something worthwhile to look into.

I don't much about it, but if your going to drop this much on DVC, is there not a new Club 33 at WDW that you can buy your way in without knowing someone? May be something worthwhile to look into. /QUOTE]

Q: I emailed my interest in Club 33. Why haven't I heard back?
A: We are pleased with the interest we’ve received in Club 33 at Walt Disney World Resort. As membership opportunities are evaluated, Club 33 may contact you for further information.

:rockband: Rock stars only need apply...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter