News and Developments for Future In-Person runDisney Events

Just noticed the ESPN Wide World of Sports has made announcements in the last 10 days of various camps and events returning to Disney property for late 2021 and early 2022:

June 4, they announced this: Disney Soccer Kicks Off at ESPN Wide World of Sports This Fall With All-New Events! | ESPN Wide World of Sports Blog (espnwwos.com)

And on June 8, this: Batter Up! Disney Spring Training to Return to ESPN Wide World of Sports in 2022 | ESPN Wide World of Sports Blog (espnwwos.com)

Their blog was pretty silent since December 2020 until earlier this month.

I think we need an AP update before they start thinking about races, that will be the last big shoe drop I think before they announce these events. I really think this server might go offline when the reveal the AP changes.

I think we need an AP update before they start thinking about races, that will be the last big shoe drop I think before they announce these events. I really think this server might go offline when the reveal the AP changes.
I know Disneyland did away with theirs and are replacing it with something else. I saw Disneyland Paris was also halting new sales and renewals. Is there a rumor that the precious WDW AP program may also look like something completely different in the near-term (would make sense given those other developments)

In a world where they can’t keep up with current demand and they can’t raise the percentages on their occupancy allowances in resorts and capacity at parks fast enough, APs serve basically no purpose for them. There will be a continued lack of need for AP business for a while even after they are fully reopened.

But, at some point, they will need APs again for the guaranteed flow through the gates that APs provide. I’ve got no idea what their ultimate plans for APs might be, but I expect they’ll largely continue to ignore that they even exist for as long as they can.

I'm at WDW right now and I can report that, since we arrived on Thursday, it is getting more and more "normal" seemingly by the minute. I haven't hit the parks yet today but at AoA's food court all the signage telling you to one party at a time filling drinks, directing foot traffic in only one direction, all that is gone. That plus the mask requirement dropping made the whole thing feel pretty normal.
I was walking past the resort buses at Epcot closing last night and saw that they were *packing* the buses. Lots of people standing, which was not happening even a few hours earlier.
Also the Philly 10k, a pretty big race here in August, just said on Instagram that all normal race activities are coming back, it won't be a stripped-down covid-style race. Feeling good about 2022!

I can add this: my take on what I'm hearing is that soooo much is fluid with WDW right now, mostly as far as communication/announcements, but also regarding plans and dates. It feels like a lot of decisions are being made based on lengthy, detailed discussions, but finalized kind of on the fly and in response to other things going on with WDW, the Orlando theme parks scene, and the world. Basically, burying any news that might be a bad look by dropping it late on a Friday, and then trying to plan good news around other big news items... but also trying to figure out what will actually be perceived as good vs bad news. I work in communications for a much smaller, much less interesting org and we do this all the time, but I can only imagine the scale of it with WDW. It kinda stresses me out just thinking of it lol! So I think any rD news is wrapped up in all of that and at the mercy of whatever else Disney is trying to get out in communications. For all we know, there may have been a rD announcement planned for last week, but then the time was right to drop the mask requirement for vaccinated Guests and that took priority. I have no inside knowledge of this, just a feeling based on my own experience with trying to plan news items and getting preempted by something that needs priority.

Thanks for your insight @PrincessV. Even a gut feeling from someone much closer than most of us, is still something.

I still think fireworks, meet and greets and parades announcements are the big things still ahead of a runDisney announcement but with Disney, who knows. Heck, the fireworks might just show up on the schedule one night without an announcement. I wouldn't be surprised.

And I don't think Annual Passes are on the critical path. I think Disney is really thinking about how they want the FL AP program to work in the future and thus, will leave it suspended indefinitely. And as we have already discussed, you can still renew your AP (I did in April). They are just not selling new ones.

As we sit here today - June 15 - the only places on any U.S.-based Disney property where one is required to wear masks is on transportation. It seems as each day goes by another institutional hurdle to having these races disappears. Masks, distancing, etc are all functionally gone. They are hosting large sporting events at WWOS. I expect restaurant capacity to be increased (provided they get the cast members back to fully staff things).

As we sit here today - June 15 - the only places on any U.S.-based Disney property where one is required to wear masks is on transportation. It seems as each day goes by another institutional hurdle to having these races disappears. Masks, distancing, etc are all functionally gone. They are hosting large sporting events at WWOS. I expect restaurant capacity to be increased (provided they get the cast members back to fully staff things).
And keep in mind, Chapek's said he expects things to be fully operational by October 1. We're well on the path to that happening.

I would observe that we are still well within the Galloway Training Plans for the W&D to occur the first week of November, 2021… Just Sayin’ 😉 and I DO have reservations at the Swan Reserve 😀

I had finally just come to terms with the idea that I wasn't going to get my first marathon in before my 50th birthday in Feb of 2022, and decided that I was going to make my winter trip for my birthday weekend instead. I've been avoiding the boards because I was depressed about the whole thing. Then I found this thread and now maybe I still have hope. Lol!

I've got three more weeks before I have to reserve my resort if I'm going for my birthday (DVC points) so I'm really hoping for news before then. :-)

I am currently training for virtual Boston so at least if something is announced I will be ahead of the game for training.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter