News Round Up 2016

Disney doesn't require guests to make reservations 180 days out, they allow guests to make reservations 180 days out. Supply and Demand (or your love or need to schedule things, as well as the masses) is what created this issue not Disney. Due to RoL from the spring, there is no way Disney would have announced this months ago. Besides, from a financial standpoint it is smart on their part. Few, if any, will cancel their trips because the star wars fireworks are gone (I didn't say people wouldn't be upset..but I even doubt how many outside the message board loyal fan base really would be that upset), but there will be people, lots of people, that will now consider trips just for this new offering that has no guarantees of being available again.

I'm right there with you, all the way. But there is no denying that Disney encourages guests to make reservations 180 days out if they can because I'm sure they greatly benefit to knowing where people will be at what time on what day. The more information for them the more they can forecast how much money they are going to make.

And you're right, we are definitely the minority here. About a year ago a co-worker told me, "Yeah, last time I went to Disney we went on Harry Potter, it was so awesome." The amount of information, or lack there of, is pretty staggering, but I'm sure he has passions that I'm completely ignorant about.

Fixing the ride to opening day quality isn't an improvement? You want thing to stay broken? Don't assume when you don't know whats being done.

Just so I understand this...are they fixing the ride to opening day quality?

Or are you assuming when you don't know what's being done?

Just so I understand this...are they fixing the ride to opening day quality?

Or are you assuming when you don't know what's being done?
From what I know the ride system is in bad shape which needed to be fixed. There were also affects being fixed. To me that's fixing the ride to opening day quality.

Not to be a pooper -but that is probably not at all what it means. Unfortunately, more likely what it means is Disney decided to save some money by not operating the ride for another month at a slow time of year. Notice it is now re-opening right before Thanksgiving. While I am with you on hoping they are fixing up the ride properly, adding another month does not really give them the time to do this.

The yeti isn't going to be touched until Avatar is opened and the initial surge of crowds are through - so at least 2019.
This is coming on the heels of a 3 month refurb of an existing attraction.

I wasn't saying that the one month was enough, but it is indicative of a couple things...

1) They had the guts to shut down the ride for an extended period of time. This is one of the most extensive down times this attraction has seen.

2) They seem to be doing substantive and meaningful repairs. They're not just bandaiding, but they're going all in on with surgery.

3) They're willing to take their time. Apparently they're currently perfecting some software issues. They knew they didn't want to ship it in bad condition, so they were willing to take the time to perfect it.

If you asked me if Disney was willing to do the above three before, I'd be hesitant to answer. Now with Pirates and Dinosaur recieving meaningful extended downtimes, I like what I see.

Operations is probably furious. DAK has limited capacity as is, and every ride in the roster counts in it's situation. Dinosaur is also one of a few rides that are completely unimpaired by weather events, getting it back is crucial. People already had reservations that have to be cancelled.

Disney is a business, but any cost savings would be negligible compared to the operations headaches. Or more bluntly, this is not Stitch in the Magic Kingdom. This is an E Ticket in a fairly lightly built out park.

They need it.

The future looks much better if Disney is willing to close attractions, fix them, and get them to high show quality. This is indicative of a positive change.

#thanksanaheim

I will never understand this argument. Maybe 2% of the total offerings are closed right now, yet people want free hoppers? That's a lot to ask because of a downed roller coaster

The good news is you don't need to understand it...because it's a ridiculous concept that wouldn't be considered for a nanosecond anyway...

Somedays you get the bear...most days the bear gets you.

This is coming on the heels of a 3 month refurb of an existing attraction.

I wasn't saying that the one month was enough, but it is indicative of a couple things...

1) They had the guts to shut down the ride for an extended period of time. This is one of the most extensive down times this attraction has seen.

2) They seem to be doing substantive and meaningful repairs. They're not just bandaiding, but they're going all in on with surgery.

3) They're willing to take their time. Apparently they're currently perfecting some software issues. They knew they didn't want to ship it in bad condition, so they were willing to take the time to perfect it.

If you asked me if Disney was willing to do the above three before, I'd be hesitant to answer. Now with Pirates and Dinosaur recieving meaningful extended downtimes, I like what I see.

Operations is probably furious. DAK has limited capacity as is, and every ride in the roster counts in it's situation. Dinosaur is also one of a few rides that are completely unimpaired by weather events, getting it back is crucial. People already had reservations that have to be cancelled.

Disney is a business, but any cost savings would be negligible compared to the operations headaches. Or more bluntly, this is not Stitch in the Magic Kingdom. This is an E Ticket in a fairly lightly built out park.

They need it.

The future looks much better if Disney is willing to close attractions, fix them, and get them to high show quality. This is indicative of a positive change.

#thanksanaheim

Well...I'll say this:

Nobody has to ask: "hey, is there anyone who sees this as a 100% positive? From every angle? That should be lauded?"

...it is a skill...make no mistake ;)

Our first day down here was at DHS. A couple comments...related to recent news.

It's weird seeing so much of the park gone.
Pizza Rizzo has plastic over much of the front. It certainly doesn't love like it will be open too soon, but of course they could take everything down quickly. My guess is not before Thanksgiving.
The park seems both uncrowded, and at the same line many lines were long. 80 minutes for RnRC, 45 minutes Tower of Terror and Star Tours. I think the closing of the back half of the park is hitting the rides that are open hard. Toy story was actually the shortest wait. Looks like the third track did the trick, except now people are waiting in different lines.
The star wars show is excellent, the projections are fantastic, but the area where there is good viewing is so limited, it is completely packed with people. Worst is many were sitting prior to the show.
Got to the park about 12:30 pm and went back to hotel at 6:00 pm, then returned for SW show. Didn't get to IJ show but did everything we wanted to, and ate lunch at Sci-Fi. This park is pathetic. It desperately needs Toy Story/Star Wars lands. About 6 hours total in the park and feel no need to go back.

Tomorrow off to Epcot.

Pizza Rizzo has plastic over much of the front. It certainly doesn't love like it will be open too soon, but of course they could take everything down quickly. My guess is not before Thanksgiving.
The park seems both uncrowded, and at the same line many lines were long. 80 minutes for RnRC, 45 minutes Tower of Terror and Star Tours. I think the closing of the back half of the park is hitting the rides that are open hard. Toy story was actually the shortest wait. Looks like the third track did the trick, except now people are waiting in different lines.
The star wars show is excellent, the projections are fantastic, but the area where there is good viewing is so limited, it is completely packed with people. Worst is many were sitting prior to the show.
Got to the park about 12:30 pm and went back to hotel at 6:00 pm, then returned for SW show. Didn't get to IJ show but did everything we wanted to, and ate lunch at Sci-Fi. This park is pathetic. It desperately needs Toy Story/Star Wars lands. About 6 hours total in the park and feel no need to go back.

Tomorrow off to Epcot.

Yeah, we were just there couple weeks ago and it was a half day park for us. But, when I think about it, other than when my kids were little, it has always been a half day park for us. Let me ride ToT, RRC and now midway mania and I am out of there. Studios has always been my least favorite park, and IMO AK just keeps creeping up the fave list. AK is maturing while Epcot and Studios are going downhill. Until the new stuff comes that is.

Tomorrow off to Epcot.

Good report. There really IS no park - just a construction zone. Not the reporter's fault.... just a fact of life.

Tomorrow off to Epcot.

Maybe just what we are in to but we spent a full day there and didn't get to everything we wanted - and to be honest, the stuff that is closed is not the stuff we really did much anyway. We do have young kids though and did a bunch of meet and greets and the Frozen sing along, watched some citizens of Hollywood, got on TSMM three times and Star Tours twice, did the Star Wars dessert party .... for us it is still a great park and we can't imagine not doing it at least once each trip

VERY MINOR NEWS

Construction has finished on the fence and gates around the BC Quiet Pool. It appears they are laying the foundations for a fence around SAB. Probably a fence like the one around the Poly's pool with a MagicBand scanner.

Interesting note...

Two insiders on wdwmagic say Avatar will set a new standard for attractions at WDW and Avatar will be an immersion like nothing before. Star Wars will only build on that. The battle ride will be the GOLD standard for E ticket attractions. Immersion will be star wars weekends times 10.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter