• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

News Round Up 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
“In addition, we are merging our Consumer Products and Parks operations under one segment, combining strategy and resources to produce even more compelling products and experiences that bring our stories and characters to life for consumers,” Mr. Iger said.

Bob Chapek, Chairman, Walt Disney Parks and Resorts, will assume additional responsibility for all of Disney’s consumer products operations globally, including licensing and Disney stores, as Chairman of the new Parks, Experiences and Consumer Products business segment. “Bob comes to this new role with an impressive record of success at both Parks and Resorts and Consumer Products, and he is the perfect leader to run these combined teams,” Mr. Iger said. Mr. Chapek will continue to report directly to Mr. Iger.
From WDWMagic on this

Parks and Resorts and Consumer Products operations combined in Walt Disney Company organizational shakeup

So do you have to go move your car every couple days so it doesn't become obvious? Maybe this is a new company...like how the stroller rental companies all popped up!! You pay me $25 per week and I move your car around the parking lot regularly, hahaha!

I wonder if we could see some companies offering offsite parking for $50/week and then shuttle you to/from your resort

I was thinking the same thing. I would absolutely consider offsite parking. I don't really need the car while at Disney. I am just close enough to drive TO Disney.

So if you're going to WDW for more than 1 night, I think the "trick" is to go to a park, pay for parking, and leave your vehicle there until the end of your trip. I've never heard of anyone getting towed from MK, and I've definitely left my car there overnight before, granted it was just 1 night.

I'm curious about loopholes too. Though I'm not sure I'd be willing to go through them anyway. I like to have my car at the resort because I do not like waiting on the bus for parks that are not Magic Kingdom. This may very well push me into the Disney Springs hotels or completely off site. Dare I say even Universal?

But I'm curious what determines if the parking fee gets added to your bill. Is it the security guard at the gates that let you in? Scanning your magic band to let you through the gate? Simply claiming a car at check in? Will cars be issued tags/stickers now that they'll actually check for?

Another thing I find curious. They still allow free parking for the CAMPGROUNDS at Ft Wilderness, but make no mention of the CABINS at Ft. Wilderness. Am I being too literal there or are they actually going to charge parking for those staying in cabins, but continue to allow the loophole campsites to be spared?

So if you're going to WDW for more than 1 night, I think the "trick" is to go to a park, pay for parking, and leave your vehicle there until the end of your trip. I've never heard of anyone getting towed from MK, and I've definitely left my car there overnight before, granted it was just 1 night.

I suppose that will work as long as you don't want to use your vehicle for the entire trip as it would be trapped in the parking lot.

And if you have an Annual Pass you can park for free at the parks but have to pay at the resorts...do you do this as well?

I wonder if we could see some companies offering offsite parking for $50/week and then shuttle you to/from your resort

I was more thinking "DO you park at the airport?" There are places at Orlando airport that are listed at $4 a day. IF you HAVE to drive down but don't want a car when there - do you just park at the airport parking and Uber over to your resort?

Another fallout question to this - will this make buses more crowded as people that previously rented cars decide not to spend $500 a week on a rental car? Or does it actually drive a lot of people to stay off site?

Ironic that it double doesn't apply to me - we never rent a car and we are DVC members anyways...can I rent out my parking space for $10 a night?

I was more thinking "DO you park at the airport?" There are places at Orlando airport that are listed at $4 a day. IF you HAVE to drive down but don't want a car when there - do you just park at the airport parking and Uber over to your resort?

Another fallout question to this - will this make buses more crowded as people that previously rented cars decide not to spend $500 a week on a rental car? Or does it actually drive a lot of people to stay off site?

Ironic that it double doesn't apply to me - we never rent a car and we are DVC members anyways...can I rent out my parking space for $10 a night?

I've seen other mention of parking at the airport - interesting thought

I think people that were debating going of site this now might push them and then others that don't *need* a car now might not get one and stay on site more

I think it does penalize locals/people that live within driving distance - so those that never leave once they get there but need their car to get there

No need for the Uber on this one...just use DME, pick flights around your anticipated arrival and departure times :) This also achieves what Disney wants...trapping you on property without a car.

Man I could totally see someone buying up a parking lot somewhere north of WDW where it thins out a bit. Valet service. You drive there, they drive you in your car to the resort, you unload, they take the car back to the lot. Have an app where the day before you can request your car for the day and they bring it to the resort early a.m. (pre-rush hours) with a pickup vehicle for all the drivers. Your car is then waiting when you wake up, you can bring it in and out of the lot all day, and they come pick it back up after say 10 or 12 p.m. Not real inconvenient, but I'm thinking not many people would use the car that often. Charge by the pickup. So $10 per day, $10 per dropoff, one free dropoff/pickup to get you to the hotel and back.

You'd need a bunch of workers early a.m. and late p.m. to shift the cars around for each day, and a few during the day for the regular drop offs, plus a shuttle for your fleet of drivers after they've dropped the vehicles off.

It sucks especially when I think the parks s hould be heading toward the model of Momento Mori etc. for some of their shops and merchandise. More specific to the parks!

well, theoretically if products and parks were all under one umbrella that could/should actually increase the likelihood of having products more specific to the parks and parks better integrating other products, etc.

Not saying that will happen but the potential is there

Man I could totally see someone buying up a parking lot somewhere north of WDW where it thins out a bit. Valet service. You drive there, they drive you in your car to the resort, you unload, they take the car back to the lot. Have an app where the day before you can request your car for the day and they bring it to the resort early a.m. (pre-rush hours) with a pickup vehicle for all the drivers. Your car is then waiting when you wake up, you can bring it in and out of the lot all day, and they come pick it back up after say 10 or 12 p.m. Not real inconvenient, but I'm thinking not many people would use the car that often. Charge by the pickup. So $10 per day, $10 per dropoff, one free dropoff/pickup to get you to the hotel and back.

You'd need a bunch of workers early a.m. and late p.m. to shift the cars around for each day, and a few during the day for the regular drop offs, plus a shuttle for your fleet of drivers after they've dropped the vehicles off.
It sounds a little crazy... BUT Many years ago somebody came up with a similar theory on stroller rentals OR grocery delivery...a bunch of people said it was stupid, or nobody would do it, or they were crazy...now the people who started those companies are probably doing pretty darn well for themselves lol.

could probably build a relationship with Uber drivers who become your "shuttle service"

It sounds a little crazy... BUT Many years ago somebody came up with a similar theory on stroller rentals OR grocery delivery...a bunch of people said it was stupid, or nobody would do it, or they were crazy...now the people who started those companies are probably doing pretty darn well for themselves lol.
I guess the major difference here being the capital investment in an actual piece of property with proximity - vs. the capital required to buy strollers (small) or groceries (very minimal).

Just throwing in my two cents about the paid parking situation. While on my CP there were A LOT of cast members that would park at the deluxes (Poly mostly) and take the monorail to the parks and spend all day there, avoiding the chaos of the TTC. I have to imagine that this paid parking decision is the conclusion of many factors including this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter