News Round Up 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, - I’m going to be the non-environmentally friendly voice here, but I really do not like the idea of the Disney Store not using plastic bags and then charging $.99 for a bag...talking about a money grab! Not only do they no longer have to pay for plastic bags but now they’ll make money off of them. $.99 is not going to break the bank for me, but I don’t want to go to the mall carrying reusable shopping bags not knowing if I’m going to even purchase anything. And if I do happen to go into the Disney Store and decide to purchase on impulse, I have to pay an additional amount of money for the “privilege” of conveniently carrying out the merchandise I just purchased from their store. No thanks. It *will* impact my decision to purchase or, more likely, not.

I was floored when I went to Target at DLR and found out I had to pay $.10 per bag. I’m a tourist, for Pete’s sake. Why would I bring reusable shopping bags with me?

At home, I use the reusable bags 95% of the time for grocery shopping and I recycle or reuse the plastic bags I do collect. And, on the occasion when I am shopping at the mall, I try to avoid getting multiple bags. If my purchases will fit in a bag I already have, then I’ll combine them. Maybe they could go back to using...dare I say it?...paper bags?

After typing the above mini-rant, it occurred to me that maybe the malls should have reusable generic shopping bags available across all the stores. And then they could do what they do in CA and charge $.10 a bag when you make a purchase and if you DO return with it you get a rebate. (Isn’t that how it works there?)
Yup......

OK, - I’m going to be the non-environmentally friendly voice here, but I really do not like the idea of the Disney Store not using plastic bags and then charging $.99 for a bag...talking about a money grab! Not only do they no longer have to pay for plastic bags but now they’ll make money off of them. $.99 is not going to break the bank for me, but I don’t want to go to the mall carrying reusable shopping bags not knowing if I’m going to even purchase anything. And if I do happen to go into the Disney Store and decide to purchase on impulse, I have to pay an additional amount of money for the “privilege” of conveniently carrying out the merchandise I just purchased from their store. No thanks. It *will* impact my decision to purchase or, more likely, not.

I was floored when I went to Target at DLR and found out I had to pay $.10 per bag. I’m a tourist, for Pete’s sake. Why would I bring reusable shopping bags with me?

At home, I use the reusable bags 95% of the time for grocery shopping and I recycle or reuse the plastic bags I do collect. And, on the occasion when I am shopping at the mall, I try to avoid getting multiple bags. If my purchases will fit in a bag I already have, then I’ll combine them. Maybe they could go back to using...dare I say it?...paper bags?

After typing the above mini-rant, it occurred to me that maybe the malls should have reusable generic shopping bags available across all the stores. And then they could do what they do in CA and charge $.10 a bag when you make a purchase and if you DO return with it you get a rebate. (Isn’t that how it works there?)
Only place I get credit for bringing my own bag in CA is Target. You get a $0.05 credit for each of your own bags that you use.

CA banned plastic bag sales statewide a year or two ago and implemented the $0.10 fee. Los Angeles had already done that several years prior as has several other cities.

I know in some countries they charge you for plastic bags so could see them start doing that at some point

Here in Montgomery County, Maryland, USA, we pay .05¢ a plastic/paper bag at retailers. Pretty much everyone brings reusable bags at least to the grocery store now.

Here in Montgomery County, Maryland, USA, we pay .05¢ a plastic/paper bag at retailers. Pretty much everyone brings reusable bags at least to the grocery store now.

Grocery store is used to give you $0.10 for each reusable bag you brought but stopped after a year or so when they realized it wasn’t having the impact it used to - basically got to the point where those that would bring bags would even without the reward and those that won’t just won’t

Maybe they could set up a program like it is for soda cans - included in cost is 5 cents for recycling which you get back when you return it - so charge you for the first bag you take and then refund you t when you come back with it or a place you can deposit them/return them (is that what you were implying with your last point)

I am all in favor of going "green" but in the case of shopping at Disney Springs World of Disney, it's not like your going direct from the store right out to your car and it could be a pain to carry multiple items around and then onto a bus....not to mention the option For delivery directly from store to your hotel room.

Great news.

In the UK, all major retailers and supermarkets were forced by law to stop giving free plastic bags. They started with a 5p charge but a lot of places are now up to 10p. I think they’ve said that plastic bag waste has dropped by 80% already.

I think the Disney store here already has the charge, but I may be wrong.

Disney could really path the way when it comes to recycling. They could easily start by getting rid of plastic straws. It’s the plastic cup tops which I think are the hardest.

If anyone hasn’t watched it, I suggest everyone watches Blue Planet 2 which has really highlighted how we are destroying our planet

I know the Disney store in Chicago does not use plastic, they charge per bag but they are HUGE. We have 2 of them, and use them often now at home. So I guess if Disney uses a similar bag, it'll be quite large enough to use at multiple stores without buying one each time.

I don't find it an issue to keep one or two of these in my pocket or purse, I have been doing it for years. I also keep extra in my truck and yes, I do travel with them.
upload_2018-4-21_14-3-40.png

In terms of packages being sent to your room Guest Services ask to see your receipt they don't care what bag it's in.

I don't find it an issue to keep one or two of these in my pocket or purse, I have been doing it for years. I also keep extra in my truck and yes, I do travel with them.
View attachment 318184

In terms of packages being sent to your room Guest Services ask to see your receipt they don't care what bag it's in.
.I have several of these I keep on me 2008-01-25-Image5.jpg
Plastic is slowly being legislated here, but it is a huge proplem. Living on an island you see all the trash build up and see it floating in the water from where it get gets dumped in from here and surrounding countries. But like said above, those who use reusable bags use them without incentives and those that do not, do not, so it takes a shift in how things operate to change the way people operate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter