News Round Up 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be honest, I think this is a massive mistake. I am from UK and will always use cash when going on holiday in case of credit card charges and technology issues that could easily happen. I consider cash a good back-up for any tech problems that could stop payment via the cash-less options.

If you get a magic band, just charge it and then pay at the hotel with cash.

I'm from Canada. We charge pretty much everything on our Magic Bands when staying at WDW. It's actually one of the great benefits for us of vacationing at WDW. Not sure why I would want to carry cash around when it's not needed?

This probably simplifies things for the staff not having to make change for cash purchases.
Well if you're tipping you're carrying around cash (like for bell services, etc as well as waiter/waitress);my mom is the rare person who prefers to tip in cash at restaurants while I haven't done that in years.

But on the second point about simplifying things I can see that but I'm not sure how it simplifies it much..other than your employees don't have to count up change--and in that case are they saying that's too hard to do that or takes up too much time? Cost-wise I usually see it the other way around where businesses don't want to pay the additional fees that Visa, Mastercard, Discover and AMEX charge.

The front desk will still deal with cash as you can pay cash to add to your account for MB purchasing.

Well if you're tipping you're carrying around cash (like for bell services, etc as well as waiter/waitress);my mom is the rare person who prefers to tip in cash at restaurants while I haven't done that in years.

But on the second point about simplifying things I can see that but I'm not sure how it simplifies it much..other than your employees don't have to count up change--and in that case are they saying that's too hard to do that or takes up too much time? Cost-wise I usually see it the other way around where businesses don't want to pay the additional fees that Visa, Mastercard, Discover and AMEX charge.

The front desk will still deal with cash as you can pay cash to add to your account for MB purchasing.

I always tip in cash. Reason being I used to wait tables and it was always easier to just pick up money than wait for my employer to give me the totals of the charged tips. i ALWAYS make sure the one that I am tipping receives it from me too after seeing a thief take tips off tables as people left hoop de doo many trips ago.

I don't think these blanket statements are fair -- or accurate. Every rational company does a cost/benefit analysis around different products/offerings. Maybe surveys showed people really didn't care one way or the other -- or at least that they didn't seem to be so blown away that it justified the cost.

I can tell you that we visit frequently, and multiple times have said "maybe we should go meet TALKING Mickey"... generally followed by a "meh -- not interested". Perhaps more people felt this way that some might think?

Talking M, paper plates...I'll take NFL, D Springs, Pandora, 3rd TSM, 3rd Soarin, FEA, Pandora, TSL, G Edge, Guardians, Rat, Tron, Skyliner, POLY and GF DVC instead.

Good suggestion. I do want to try that out some day soon.

From my (albeit limited) experience, Geyser point is a great spot for a drink, maybe some apps, watch some sports (many TVs), etc. .... but not the best for a full meal if that is what you are going for

News

Clarification on the contactless payment article! It is contactless only so no cash accepted!

http://www.wdwmagic.com/resorts/dis...ic-only-transactions-at-its-resort-hotels.htm

reminds me of a lot of the toll plaza's near me that got rid of all the toll booths and you have to use E-zpass (electronic device, like Sunpass in FL) to pay ... if you don't have that they send you a bill in the mail (the system takes a picture of your license plate) and the charge is significantly higher

I always tip in cash. Reason being I used to wait tables and it was always easier to just pick up money than wait for my employer to give me the totals of the charged tips. i ALWAYS make sure the one that I am tipping receives it from me too after seeing a thief take tips off tables as people left hoop de doo many trips ago.
That's cool. But 99% of the people I know don't tip in cash as restaurants. Even my best friend who used to be a waitress (though she tips a heck of a lot more than I do--usually 30%-40%) doesn't tip in cash. Didn't say that no one tips at restaurants obviously as I mentioned my mom who does.

We usually go for a full 2 weeks. I leave the house with $500 US in my pocket. I use it for tipping Bell services, Taxi's, housekeeping, food/snacks at the airport, and the odd purchase. I usually come home with $100-$200 in my pocket.

Tipping at restaurants is done on Magic Band when the meal is paid for.

MY guess is that now they don't have to have all these CM's with cash floats to look after. I don't really care either way, I was just pointing out that most people probably just use their MB's for everything if they don't leave Disney property.

reminds me of a lot of the toll plaza's near me that got rid of all the toll booths and you have to use E-zpass (electronic device, like Sunpass in FL) to pay ... if you don't have that they send you a bill in the mail (the system takes a picture of your license plate) and the charge is significantly higher
Around me the tolled road (I-70) in my state (I rarely go on that highway though as I don't need to) just switched one of their tolls booths out and plan to do that for more toll points on the highway soon with gateless ones so you don't have to slow down at all (the speed limit is 75miles per hour) but they also switched the lanes. It used to be only 1 or so lanes that take the KTA tag only (but we also found out you can use TX tag too) with the rest being mixed KTA/Cash/Card but now the majority will be KTA only. I don't know though if their plan is to eventually be cashless period like other tolled roads are becoming or not. I don't know or not if the charge is higher for billed-later situations or not but I know that's pretty common.

Around me the tolled road (I-70) in my state (I rarely go on that highway though as I don't need to) just switched one of their tolls booths out and plan to do that for more toll points on the highway soon with gateless ones so you don't have to slow down at all (the speed limit is 75miles per hour) but they also switched the lanes. It used to be only 1 or so lanes that take the KTA tag only (but we also found out you can use TX tag too) with the rest being mixed KTA/Cash/Card but now the majority will be KTA only. I don't know though if their plan is to eventually be cashless period like other tolled roads are becoming or not. I don't know or not if the charge is higher for billed-later situations or not but I know that's pretty common.

Yeah, i am around New York City and it is a lot of the major roads and bridges that are now all cash less

I know we go over the fee is $2.36 with the badge and $6 if they mail you at home, so pretty big difference

We usually go for a full 2 weeks. I leave the house with $500 US in my pocket. I use it for tipping Bell services, Taxi's, housekeeping, food/snacks at the airport, and the odd purchase. I usually come home with $100-$200 in my pocket.

Tipping at restaurants is done on Magic Band when the meal is paid for.

MY guess is that now they don't have to have all these CM's with cash floats to look after. I don't really care either way, I was just pointing out that most people probably just use their MB's for everything if they don't leave Disney property.
I thought about using MBs for everything but I had gift cards I wanted to use for souvenirs and honestly I like being able to keep track individually though I know you'll get a list of charges for MBs.

I did wonder if this is a way to push more and more towards MB charging.

GRRRR. Don't talk to me about that one. Here in lovely Illinois, the state with all it's ex governors in prison, someone thought up the neat idea that semi trucks could have the same license number as regular car plates (theirs does say semi over on the side of the plate). After receiving two tickets from the state of Texas that clearly showed a semi tractor trailor as the guilty party, and sending pictures of my son's Dodge Avenger with the same license plate on it, we decided to pay the extra $15 a year and get him vanity plates to avoid the stinking hassle. Those camera's tee it up, just happened to tee it up wrong. Right after getting the vanity, we got a toll charge and I either had to pay it or take it to our drivers facility where the #alwaysrealfriendlynot person tried to do nothing before having their arm twisted. pirate:

I would have suggested Geyser point if you were a little older and if they hadn't already changed the menu there as well. Nice lil boat ride and all.

We went to Geyser Point this weekend and the food was great. I think that WDWNT article bashing the changes was way off base. I even ordered the chili fries with chili on the side and thought the chili was actually delicious.

Whoa this makes so little sense my goodness. Like another poster mentioned about cash for international visitors.

But I found this part strange: "Although the resort will be cash-less during the pilot period, the resort will continue to accept cash for tips, and guests staying at the resort can use cash to add to their room charge capabilities."

It doesn't make sense to me.

Now they can track where each of our dollars are spent.

For those tipping in cash, make sure you are checking your dining plan allotments and room charges each time. In December two different times we left cash (always 22-25% tip) and enough to cover whatever we spent outside of the dining plan (drinks) and the person charged our room for the drinks AND took all the cash. At Ohana we left a $50 to cover two drinks (not the big pineapple ones) and the tip and yet they thought the $50 was their entire tip -

It probably was coming or going. From what I know it is offline until further notice.
Following up from my original comment and Ryan's response: Monorail red remains sitting outside the maintenance bays. Drove past there a couple of days ago and it was exactly where this picture shows it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter