News Round Up 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think they could find a sweet spot between budget and product to make them work.

But I get their decision to put them on hold, at least until they have time to evaluate.

yeah, if they could pull one off for say $75m or something then I think they work, but you can't have all these second tier movies done for $200m+

It's good that Disney sees the IP as precious and have decided to scrap the spin off films. I did want a sequel to Solo but not a boba fett or obiwan movie.

Hopefully we will get an announcement soon that Rian Johnson Kathleen Kennedy are going too

I don't think Kennedy is going anywhere, though part of me wishes they would find a different steward. Financially, she has done very well by LucasFilm so far. 3 movies and only 1 a dud, huge profits overall. Not all movies are going to hit all the time. Disney knows this.

I do hope they yank the trilogy from Johnson. Though at least if he has a whole trilogy, and does all 3, it might hang together better than giving him the middle piece of someone else's trilogy. But I don't think he's going to lose the project so long as Episode IX does well. TLJ, for all the possible flaws we've discussed and argued about ad nauseum on this board, brought in a boat load of money.

I have to believe, though, that a lot for both Johnson and Kennedy's future at LucasFilm, is riding on Abrams. Episode IX has to do well. How we define "well" we can argue about in the future. But if it disappoints LucasFilm and Disney, then it is clear that a franchise that was riding high going into Johnson's piece came out bruised and battered, despite the money. Two disappointments in a row would be hard to excuse.

If Episode IX does well, as I suspect it will, then Solo was just a standalone mistake. No reflection on Johnson and a single mistake among 5 movies is a pretty good score for Kennedy. So I think we just have to wait until next Christmas...

I don't think Kennedy is going anywhere, though part of me wishes they would find a different steward. Financially, she has done very well by LucasFilm so far. 3 movies and only 1 a dud, huge profits overall. Not all movies are going to hit all the time. Disney knows this.

I do hope they yank the trilogy from Johnson. Though at least if he has a whole trilogy, and does all 3, it might hang together better than giving him the middle piece of someone else's trilogy. But I don't think he's going to lose the project so long as Episode IX does well. TLJ, for all the possible flaws we've discussed and argued about ad nauseum on this board, brought in a boat load of money.

I have to believe, though, that a lot for both Johnson and Kennedy's future at LucasFilm, is riding on Abrams. Episode IX has to do well. How we define "well" we can argue about in the future. But if it disappoints LucasFilm and Disney, then it is clear that a franchise that was riding high going into Johnson's piece came out bruised and battered, despite the money. Two disappointments in a row would be hard to excuse.

If Episode IX does well, as I suspect it will, then Solo was just a standalone mistake. No reflection on Johnson and a single mistake among 5 movies is a pretty good score for Kennedy. So I think we just have to wait until next Christmas...

It will be interesting/telling to see if IX stays/continues/builds on Rian's storylines, or attempts to jerk back more in line with The FA.

Last edited:

Interesting that neither one mentions Rogue One and it's $1 Billion "Standalone" success.

Probably should have thought of this one sooner IMO.

1. Disney is being careful to not sully the legacy of the Star Wars brand.

I think Rians cinematography was beautiful and would like to see what he does with his own movies. But they do have to think about staggering these films a bit

I think Rians cinematography was beautiful and would like to see what he does with his own movies. But they do have to think about staggering these films a bit
I agree. His cinematography was beautiful. It's his storytelling that is an issue for me. We won't really know until Episode IX if it was a problem for enough other people. My gut says no and that Solo is really an aberration, but the abject failure of Solo, which I thought was good enough to do much better, keeps the question in play.

I agree. His cinematography was beautiful. It's his storytelling that is an issue for me. We won't really know until Episode IX if it was a problem for enough other people. My gut says no and that Solo is really an aberration, but the abject failure of Solo, which I thought was good enough to do much better, keeps the question in play.

I am looking forward to Riann’s separate trilogy. I liked that he was willing to take some chances - just maybe best to not take those chances with such beloved characters

I guess my thing with Rian is that he’s working with a story that’s already been laid out for him. I feel like so much of TLJ hate has been directed at him that should be directed at lucasfilms upper management

I guess my thing with Rian is that he’s working with a story that’s already been laid out for him. I feel like so much of TLJ hate has been directed at him that should be directed at lucasfilms upper management

A lot of the anger came because he said he had complete freedom over the story. People got angry that they clearly had no plans on where they were going, him and Kathleen are just the easiest targets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter