News Round Up 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Food for thought:

I just got off the phone with a CM who "suggested" a late June opening for Toy Story Land. He pointed out that is when the Florida Resident Offer tickets expire (though I have not verified this myself). He noted that they expired in May in the year that Pandora opened. Hmmm....
Not sure how I feel about this as I just booked a trip the last week of July. It might be CRAZY! But I guess it would have been the same if it opens in May.

Oh no!!! We have the last week in May booked, hoping for a TSL opening... oh well, we’ll catch it next time!

Food for thought:

I just got off the phone with a CM who "suggested" a late June opening for Toy Story Land. He pointed out that is when the Florida Resident Offer tickets expire (though I have not verified this myself). He noted that they expired in May in the year that Pandora opened. Hmmm....
Not sure how I feel about this as I just booked a trip the last week of July. It might be CRAZY! But I guess it would have been the same if it opens in May.
A few weeks back, my wife told me this same rumor, based on the same reasoning, that she heard from another website. I chose to ignore it because we had not heard that here, at all.

Now that's over...

Our trip is the first week of June.

interesting read, though "Plummeting" seems a bit strong:

"While “Star Wars” was still the top-selling toy line during the nine-week holiday period, it fell to second place overall last year and below the all-time high seen in 2016, according to data from market research firm NPD Group shared with Bloomberg News." - I mean, still the top selling toy and 2016 was an all time high

I do think the latest movies - Rogue One and The Last Jedi appealed to kids a lot less than The Force Awakens (I know that is true for my kids)

To make up for it they should just pump out some more Star Wars Legos - they can't make enough of those $800 Millennium Falcon kits

And I'll add to that TFA also did much better than the last 2 movies (at least in box office, and between the two trilogy movies, in consumer reviews as well), meaning people were probably more apt to buy merchandise. That said, I would bet brand fatigue (and movie fatigue) factor in a bit as well.

That’s pathetic.
its also because there has been alot of complaints from parents. Kids meet talking mickey and then see him in shows or the parade and don't understand why he isn't speaking to them. there are also lots of technical gliches with him but it doesn't cost anymore the the character to talk or not. this isn't considered a speel so entertainers don't get paid more. it's really more of a consistency issue and frankly talking mickey should be some place like the studios where you don't see him in other areas of the park

And I'll add to that TFA also did much better than the last 2 movies (at least in box office, and between the two trilogy movies, in consumer reviews as well), meaning people were probably more apt to buy merchandise. That said, I would bet brand fatigue (and movie fatigue) factor in a bit as well.
Also, with TFA, there was a set of Disney Infinity Characters you could buy. No such thing this time around...

Plus, how many Rey figures do someone need? If you still had one from the first movie, they didn't even change her outfit this time around.

interesting read, though "Plummeting" seems a bit strong:

"While “Star Wars” was still the top-selling toy line during the nine-week holiday period, it fell to second place overall last year and below the all-time high seen in 2016, according to data from market research firm NPD Group shared with Bloomberg News." - I mean, still the top selling toy and 2016 was an all time high

I do think the latest movies - Rogue One and The Last Jedi appealed to kids a lot less than The Force Awakens (I know that is true for my kids)

To make up for it they should just pump out some more Star Wars Legos - they can't make enough of those $800 Millennium Falcon kits
It doesn't surprise me that there is some fatigue at this point, but when I see "plummeting", I at least want to see some data to support.

FYI, the original Bloomberg piece said "FALLING" -- less dramatic than WDWNT's "PLUMMETING". I'm not a fan of unsubstantiated drama...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...les-fall-in-2017-as-movie-tie-fatigue-sets-in

ETA: Here are some related numbers, but not sure how reliable Panjiva's data is...
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/h...-shipments-down-sharply-force-awakens-1069479

Also, with TFA, there was a set of Disney Infinity Characters you could buy. No such thing this time around...

Plus, how many Rey figures do someone need? If you still had one from the first movie, they didn't even change her outfit this time around.
They also didn't really come out with *new* toys for this movie. Yes, there are new action figures, and BB-9E, but really, are people who spent $300 on BB-8 going to spend another $300 on a black version for got about 10 seconds of screen time? We did break down and get the Xwing drone - it is a lot of fun, and the presentation when you first open the package was well worth the $100 - but that was the only Star Wars gift under out tree this year (other than some socks and such).

They also didn't really come out with *new* toys for this movie. Yes, there are new action figures, and BB-9E, but really, are people who spent $300 on BB-8 going to spend another $300 on a black version for got about 10 seconds of screen time? We did break down and get the Xwing drone - it is a lot of fun, and the presentation when you first open the package was well worth the $100 - but that was the only Star Wars gift under out tree this year (other than some socks and such).
Great points. I have the Falcon drone from the last time. Of course I'm not going to buy a second one this time around, and neither would most people.

I can tell you that my house is now inhabited by 2 porgs, though...

Wasn’t it $150 not $300? I only spent $150 on BB-8.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter