News Round Up 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd way rather see Disney invest in this than putting money into rebuilding Notre Dame.
Pretty sure they can do both. Not sure why some have a problem with a company that made money off a retelling of a story centered around an image of this world treasure contributing a relatively small amount to rebuilding it. Around the time it's planning on making more money off the same story. Goes to a good cause and garners more goodwill for the company -- which also has a park in that country, lest we forget.

Feels like looking for something to be cranky about. I don't get it.

Pretty sure they can do both. Not sure why some have a problem with a company that made money off a retelling of a story centered around an image of this world treasure contributing a relatively small amount to rebuilding it. Around the time it's planning on making more money off the same story. Goes to a good cause and garners more goodwill for the company -- which also has a park in that country, lest we forget.

Feels like looking for something to be cranky about. I don't get it.

Not a huge issue, and I didn't really think about DLP and the positive marketing this gives them there - but honestly not sure I am all that keen on them reducing CM services or shortening park hours, or raising bottled water 50 cents to make up the difference.

In other words - we the customers are the ones that will pay for it one way or another, as they won't take a hit on earnings over it - and Disney's $5 million won't make the difference between whether it's rebuilt or not -I do agree it should be rebuilt.

Its stuff like this https://www.bbc.com/news/business-47967766 that makes me worried about the Monorail replacement at WDW once and if it gets on the way.
I’d be less worried about Disney because it’s Disney a private enterprise/company rather than a public government type system. I feel public transportation gets delayed way more than any sort of private transportation.

Not a huge issue, and I didn't really think about DLP and the positive marketing this gives them there - but honestly not sure I am all that keen on them reducing CM services or shortening park hours, or raising bottled water 50 cents to make up the difference.

In other words - we the customers are the ones that will pay for it one way or another, as they won't take a hit on earnings over it - and Disney's $5 million won't make the difference between whether it's rebuilt or not -I do agree it should be rebuilt.
Do you feel this way every time they make a donation??

This might upset you... https://www.thewaltdisneycompany.com/charitable-giving/

Last edited:
It is sort of shocking how much Disney struggles to make decent pizza ... I'm not asking for the worlds best but lots of other places can turn out tons of decent pizza

They probably can make good pizza but choose not to. On DCL they use to have good pizza. Now all the pizza is terrible on all four ships because they choose not to make good pizza.

Well said, thank you for making my point a bit more coherently.

All corporations make charitable contributions, but this is largely a PR play, there are more needy organization's in Disney's headquarter's backyard's in both Anaheim and Orlando.

Regarding the "why not both or all" argument, it is in a fact a zero sum game in this case where a donation to this cause by Disney, will directly impact their decision to not donate to another cause, because they have budgets for these things. There is not an unlimited donation pool that they have to dip into.

I also don't like this when they are cutting cast member hours and benefits packages at every chance they get.

/rant over (im done I promise).

Do you feel this way every time they make a donation??

This might upset you... https://www.thewaltdisneycompany.com/charitable-giving/

No I don't have an issue with them donating to charities. It just to me that I don't think this should be paid for by corporate gifts. Private, French Government and the church, sure - but I don' think this is something that corporations should be getting involved with. Though as I said, I am not like angry about it or anything - just stating an opinion. My original point was that the announcement about the solar system is something that likely costs the company money - at least in the short term, but really shows good forethought and benefitting the environment as well as being a PR move. Donating to Notre Dame is purely a PR move.

Regarding the "why not both or all" argument, it is in a fact a zero sum game in this case where a donation to this cause by Disney, will directly impact their decision to not donate to another cause, because they have budgets for these things. There is not an unlimited donation pool that they have to dip into.

I also don't like this when they are cutting cast member hours and benefits packages at every chance they get.

Exactly my point as well. I am not slagging on the idea that rebuilding Notre Dame is a good idea, it's a wonderful idea, I just don't think this is where corporate dollars should be going.

Estimate I saw is that it could cost more than $8bn to rebuild: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...bear-notre-dame-rebuilding-cost-idUSKCN1RS1LO

One idea I saw that I liked was have Disney re-release Hunchback to theaters and then take the profits from that and donate it
My kids loved the Hunchback of Notre Dame stage show that was at MGM Studios (at the time). It had to have been around 1997. Notre Dame is the heart of many of the french people and the cathedral was awe inspiring. I'm happy to have seen it up close and recorded the bells ringing when we were there in 2015. I'm only sad we didn't have time to climb the bell tower.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter