• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

News Round Up 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe one day Disney will add entertainment without taking anything away. What a concept that would be!
Meh. There's a limit to how much of that can pack the parks IMO. I like them trading things out and keeping it fresher over the years. More interesting for repeat visitors, and one-time visitors won't ever know the difference. JMO.

I could definitely see myself jumping around every few months rather than paying for every single streaming service every single month.

I wonder if Netflix might change and move away from the "binge watching" model. E.g., having to have Netflix for at least 2-3 months to get all of the next season of Stranger Things vs being able to binge them all in one month of payment

Meh. There's a limit to how much of that can pack the parks IMO. I like them trading things out and keeping it fresher over the years. More interesting for repeat visitors, and one-time visitors won't ever know the difference. JMO.
Well when there are plenty of things they have taken away that they haven’t replaced I think there is plenty of room for even more :)

I guarantee you no new entertainment is coming to liberty square anytime soon.

having re-runs of things does nothing for me - I've seen every episode of Seinfeld multiple times for example, so that carries no weight for me. Even other shows I love (parks and rec, etc) we just never get to reruns off stuff

Maybe weighing things is we have 3 young kids so we really can't watch anything non-family friendly until they are in bed / asleep so that gives us like max 1.5 hours each night ... and then there are sport and other things on live TV we watch. We just don't have much time so anything we do watch we basically have to make appointment viewing for. Right now, only things on Netflix that do that for me are Stranger Things and Glow. We do also watch Great British Bake Off but that we can watch with the kids so would be the exception

Once Disney+ comes out we will have the Mandelorian and then this fall The Falcon and The Winter Soldier .... plus for the family The World According to Jeff Goldbum. And not sure exact debut date but the Imagineering show will be must watch for us as well.

So for us I think Disney+ becomes the main thing and then other things would have to justify their cost as complementary (we also have Amazon Prime for things too)

So definitely to each there own but I am fully expecting to cut Netflix shortly after we get Disney+ up and running - just wont' be able to justify the cost
Well, MORE only counts if it's actually good stuff, and while Netflix has a ton of content, a whole heckuva lot of it is dreck. I love some of the current original series like Stranger Things/GLOW and a lot of the stand-up specials, but our family has been combing over the same-old movies and straining to find new worthwhile shows to get into. (And I have every season of Seinfeld on DVD already.) So I'm super pumped to dive into the Disney catalog to whatever degree they make it available on this service, and may consider it at least a temporary replacement for Netflix.
I have a hard time finding things to watch on Netflix, and their film selection has become atrocious since original content has become the main focus. Disney+ looks like it’ll be a better option for film even with its initial limited selection. Netflix definitely beats Disney+ on the TV side, but Hulu has the better selection there.
I'm in the same situation as you.. 3 young kids and we just dont watch a ton as it is, plus husband watches sports. I noticed way back at the beginning of the year we were only watching Netflix maybe once every other month... ditched it. I love Stranger Things, so I just used my parents account for that one, but otherwise just haven't used it.

I got the Hulu $1/month black Friday promo last year and my youngest loves Full House and Home Improvement (plus Perfect Strangers and Sailormoon subtitled for me and Archer and Bob's Burgers for hub and I) so I am keeping my eyes peeled for this bundle thing they are talking about since that dollar deal will be up pretty soon.
I get it -- this board is obviously going to skew Disney over Netflix! And if I still had very young kids I might feel the same. Mine are 13 and 14 and getting into a bunch of the old TV series that Netflix covers. Much more appealing for us than paying to stream Disney movies we already own.

I just can't get over how much content Disney has access to and how little it's debuting with. Feels like they'll drip - drip - drip the content to justify increasing prices over time. Rubs me the wrong way, and there's nothing that they've announced that I can't live without.

But as I said -- to each his/her own!! :)

I get it -- this board is obviously going to skew Disney over Netflix! And if I have very young kids I might feel the same.

I just can't get over how much content Disney has access to and how little it's debuting with. Feels like they'll drip - drip - drip the content to justify increasing prices over time. Rubs me the wrong way, and there's nothing that they've announced that I can't live without.

You still think this is little amount to debut with? That list would take me months if not over a year to get through and that’s if I just sat and watched tv all day. I mean sure they could have even more but they will add stuff as time goes on. I don’t think anyone expected them to debut every single piece of tv or film on day one.

I get it -- this board is obviously going to skew Disney over Netflix! And if I still had very young kids I might feel the same. Mine are 13 and 14 and getting into a bunch of the old TV series that Netflix covers. Much more appealing for us than paying to stream Disney movies we already own.

I agree with you, they can for sure drop much, much more content than that.

I feel like they are leaving out older demographics that they could capture... like why not add Zorro, Davy Crockett etc? If they had things like that they could even nab my 70 year old dad.

Well when there are plenty of things they have taken away that they haven’t replaced I think there is plenty of room for even more :)

I guarantee you no new entertainment is coming to liberty square anytime soon.

There used to be soooo much more in the past. Frontierland specificalyl used to have so much more activity with more boats on the water and the stunt actors around and stuff. Was my favorite land when I was kid

I'm guessing the white will really show up some neon lighting at night. Or maybe just be lit as white, will see.

yeah, wanting to see it at night seems to be a common comment I am seeing. Tomorrowland, more than all the other lands, "feels" different at night, so hopefully this only adds to this

You still think this is little amount to debut with? That list would take me months if not over a year to get through and that’s if I just sat and watched tv all day. I mean sure they could have even more but they will add stuff as time goes on. I don’t think anyone expected them to debut every single piece of tv or film on day one.
Yup. Given what they COULD release? Yes - very limited. Most of what interests me we've already seen or already own.

I don't have any kids and I don't find much to watch on Netflix. I loved the Marvel shows and a couple other originals (Bodyguard is great!), but it's really not worth the $12.99/month that I'm paying now. My sister (and my 5yo nephew) use my account much more than I do. I'm planning to drop it for Disney+ and maybe buy it for a month on occasion when something good comes out.

To be it isn't necessarily a replacement for Netflix more just can I justify spending $ for both or is there enough on Disney+ that I really won't get use out of Netflix. .... and we are in the phase of trying to cut back on things that we don't "need" so Netflix may be a casualty (at least for a while until next season of Stranger Things comes around)
This.. there is only so much TV you can watch in a given day/week. And the kids are the primary Netflix watchers .. though less so during the school year.

While my wife and I will miss some of the shows we occasionally binge-watch, I think we can cut back a while and consume content we are already paying for and not using (Amazon Prime).

There used to be soooo much more in the past. Frontierland specificalyl used to have so much more activity with more boats on the water and the stunt actors around and stuff. Was my favorite land when I was kid
I feel that they cant have consistent entertainment due to crowds. if an impromtu show starts, people gather around it and block pathways.

So it is a weird dichotomy. Attendance is down, less crowding in the parks and they would have more room for entertainment and entertainment could draw people to the parks ... but they CUT entertainment.

I wonder how long it will be before you dont see Stormtroopers, Chewie, Rey and Kylo running around Galaxys Edge. :(.

I feel that they cant have consistent entertainment due to crowds. if an impromtu show starts, people gather around it and block pathways.

So it is a weird dichotomy. Attendance is down, less crowding in the parks and they would have more room for entertainment and entertainment could draw people to the parks ... but they CUT entertainment.

I wonder how long it will be before you dont see Stormtroopers, Chewie, Rey and Kylo running around Galaxys Edge. :(.
But dance parties are ok...

I don't see this at all. Trying to picture the customer who isn't going to WDW these days but WOULD if they had more entertainment around the parks... would have to be negligible IMO...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter