News Round Up 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see this at all. Trying to picture the customer who isn't going to WDW these days but WOULD if they had more entertainment around the parks... would have to be negligible IMO...
weird take but ok; the entertainment is what brings life to the parks and creates memories that last; this is what really sets or used to set Disney parks apart imo

I get it -- this board is obviously going to skew Disney over Netflix! And if I still had very young kids I might feel the same. Mine are 13 and 14 and getting into a bunch of the old TV series that Netflix covers. Much more appealing for us than paying to stream Disney movies we already own.

I just can't get over how much content Disney has access to and how little it's debuting with. Feels like they'll drip - drip - drip the content to justify increasing prices over time. Rubs me the wrong way, and there's nothing that they've announced that I can't live without.

But as I said -- to each his/her own!! :)
To my earlier point about a drip-drip of content so they can up prices (my cynical take), perhaps solid idea for anyone interested to lock into the 3-year deal they have going for Disney Visa cards members.

$169.99 (regular $209.97) for 3 years -- a whopping $40 savings.

Last edited:
weird take but ok; the entertainment is what brings life to the parks and creates memories that last; this is what really sets or used to set Disney parks apart imo
Weird take, that someone who is NOT planning a trip may NOT be persuaded to visit just because Disney adds more roaming entertainment?? Seems uncontroversial to me.

Entertainment is what makes AK and areas like World Showcase so awesome. The atmosphere is what makes me love AK so much and entertainment is a huge part of that.
Agree. But it's not what makes someone who is NOT booking a trip today decide to book one. That's my point. Apples and oranges.

Entertainment is what makes AK and areas like World Showcase so awesome. The atmosphere is what makes me love AK so much and entertainment is a huge part of that.
totally agree; perfect examples also. Africa and World Showcase are lands that transcend just world class theme parks into truly unique world class destinations because of the entertainment and vibrancy of the cast's in general; at least i think so

how are you so certain?
Not certain. But I'd bet on it if I was an exec. Can't imagine what the customer looks like who would be moved to book a trip today because of NEW roaming entertainment announced who would REFUSE to book that same trip otherwise. I'd bet that number would be vanishingly small. JMO.

Now I think the parks experience can suffer some -- more for some customers than for others -- if the cuts were very deep for very long. They aren't. So I cannot get worked up over it.

Agreed. Vanishingly small in the grand scheme of WDW attendance, I would bet... :)
Doesn’t mean they should cut without additions though. This is a routine thing for them every September but it doesn’t need to be. They aren’t losing money. New offerings help bring people in. They aren’t adding any new offerings right now to make up for these cuts. For a company that seems worried about the loss of attendance they don’t seem to be acting to bring people in with any sort of urgency.

The royal magic makers or whatever they were called may not bring people in but a larger show like the muppets certainly attracts crowds especially when it’s on the times guide. That’s why the muppets cut is so strange to me. It’s a draw for people. Every time I saw it, people were there watching it.

Yeah interesting couple days for SeaWorld.
They even had great growth this year, nearing a 10% attendance increase. And next year should be a big one for them. 4 of their 5 main parks getting a new major coaster.

Doesn’t mean they should cut without additions though. This is a routine thing for them every September but it doesn’t need to be. They aren’t losing money. New offerings help bring people in. They aren’t adding any new offerings right now to make up for these cuts. For a company that seems worried about the loss of attendance they don’t seem to be acting to bring people in with any sort of urgency.

The royal magic makers or whatever they were called may not bring people in but a larger show like the muppets certainly attracts crowds especially when it’s on the times guide. That’s why the muppets cut is so strange to me. It’s a draw for people. Every time I saw it, people were there watching it.

Streetmosphere shows are easiest to cut because they don’t directly profit from them. People do not go to the parks for them, they go to them while already in the parks. While they are crucial to the overall experience, they just do no draw guests directly. People are not flying 1000 miles to see a 5 minute Muppet skit or the Citizens of Hollywood, but they may schedule parts of their day around it while there. It’s a bonus on the trip, not a reason for the trip.

I don't see this at all. Trying to picture the customer who isn't going to WDW these days but WOULD if they had more entertainment around the parks... would have to be negligible IMO...

certainly don't see it as the make or break item ... but it just one of the things that if I am listing pros and cons of making another trip, less entertainment / streetmosphere is definitely in the "con" list so just contributes to a more negative feeling vs a positive one

There used to be soooo much more in the past. Frontierland specificalyl used to have so much more activity with more boats on the water and the stunt actors around and stuff. Was my favorite land when I was kid
Of course, there were a lot fewer meet and greets back then.

Not certain. But I'd bet on it if I was an exec. Can't imagine what the customer looks like who would be moved to book a trip today because of NEW roaming entertainment announced who would REFUSE to book that same trip otherwise. I'd bet that number would be vanishingly small. JMO.

Now I think the parks experience can suffer some -- more for some customers than for others -- if the cuts were very deep for very long. They aren't. So I cannot get worked up over it.

The cutbacks don't affect my travel times, they just dissuade me from going at all. Part of the fun of Disney was the likelihood that I'd stumble into an a small piece of streetmosphere that often I'd remember over the big ticket things. That happens much less frequently now, so I'm happy to leave longer and longer gaps between visits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter