News Round Up 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
My thoughts in regards to cutting entertainment is that it might make frequent, non-local visitors opt not to make a trip right now. Say I go to WDW roughly every other year, and I'm considering a trip this fall. I start hearing about cuts and I could possibly think "Well, if they're taking stuff away, then I'll wait a bit longer and see if things pick up and get back to normal".

Now, whether there are enough folks who meet that description out there to make a difference to the powers that be at Disney, I don't know, but I doubt it. They've obviously done the math and have decided it's not worth it financially to pay people to do these things, and that cutting them doesn't cause enough crowd reduction to concern them.

Me too, I’m just hoping that Dinoland lives on. I’d seriously hate to lose Dinosaur. Primeval itself doesn’t bother me, I’ve ridden the same thing at dozens of other parks this year alone.
I really like Dinoland. The coaster definitely isn't anything special but it is still a fun ride in a park lacking rides. It being closed also removed a lot of energy from that part of the park.

But it really gets under my skin that they have completely jacked up prices while taking away rides, entertainment, and experiences. It seems like they are trying the old retail death spiral technique, "we're losing customers and revenue" "well increase prices and cut corners to keep up profits" "we've lost more customers" repeat... (I'm not saying they are in a death spiral, just they are responding to loss of attendance by cutting the quality of the product.)

Last edited:
My thoughts in regards to cutting entertainment is that it might make frequent, non-local visitors opt not to make a trip right now. Say I go to WDW roughly every other year, and I'm considering a trip this fall. I start hearing about cuts and I could possibly think "Well, if they're taking stuff away, then I'll wait a bit longer and see if things pick up and get back to normal".

Now, whether there are enough folks who meet that description out there to make a difference to the powers that be at Disney, I don't know, but I doubt it. They've obviously done the math and have decided it's not worth it financially to pay people to do these things, and that cutting them doesn't cause enough crowd reduction to concern them.

To me it just sucks as, selfishly, it makes me feel less positive about something/place I want to to feel positive about and it makes me less excited thinking about our upcoming trip

But it really gets under my skin that they have completely jacked up prices while taking away rides, entertainment, and experiences. It seems like they are trying the old retail death spiral technique, "we're losing customers and revenue" "well increase prices and cut corners to keep up profits" " we've lost more customers" repeat... (I'm not saying they are in a death spiral, just they are responding to loss of attendance by cutting the quality of the product.)

I can understand with the entertainment, but not the rides. In the last five years they have added more rides than in the previous 15 years when you figure NFL, Pandora, Toy Story and now Battu. And as we speak we have Gardians, MMRR, RoR, Tron, Ratty all in various stages of construction.

Agree. But it's not what makes someone who is NOT booking a trip today decide to book one. That's my point. Apples and oranges.
I disagree I booked a trip last year because of The Muppets in Liberty Square. The trip wasn’t on the radar till that was announced. Live performance puppetry, especially The Muppets, is very rare and Muppets was the deciding factor between Disney land and world.

Last edited:

I can understand with the entertainment, but not the rides. In the last five years they have added more rides than in the previous 15 years when you figure NFL, Pandora, Toy Story and now Battu. And as we speak we have Gardians, MMRR, RoR, Tron, Ratty all in various stages of construction.
Yeah, I agree, that with rides they are definitely net positive and it is easy to focus on the loses. But Standing But Not Operating rides are an energy suck everywhere, especially in a park without a lot of rides and this one is much more obvious than Stitch.

Me too, I’m just hoping that Dinoland lives on. I’d seriously hate to lose Dinosaur. Primeval itself doesn’t bother me, I’ve ridden the same thing at dozens of other parks this year alone.
I rearranged my FP+ for October this Saturday to include Dinosaur. I figured get a ride in while I can 😕

i just booked a trip for the last weekend of September (and i was there this weekend); between this; the uppets and illuniations ending; this was the last straw.. Was this the plan? is it to get us so disappointed as to really feel obligated to get down there before the holiday season? Its a great rate flight and hotel wise so its pretty obvious that Sept isnt quite panning out like the powers that be were anticipating; but the platinum AP I havent let lapse for a single day fro 2016 set to epire on October 6th is now really up in the air for renewal as an out of state AP with no option for Gold and the huge price hike that pass has had

There’s been a net positive but some of the things above were replacements. Especially HS- they closed 1 major show, 1 streetmosphere show, 1 delightful walk around area, a huge holiday attraction, didn’t replace Who Wants to be a Millionaire or Narnia/Pirates, a restaurant, a gift shop, a m&g, a playground, a bar, and the best attraction in the park to make way for TSL and Black Spire.

There’s been a net positive but some of the things above were replacements. Especially HS- they closed 1 major show, 1 streetmosphere show, 1 delightful walk around area, a huge holiday attraction, didn’t replace Who Wants to be a Millionaire or Narnia/Pirates, a restaurant, a gift shop, a m&g, a playground, a bar, and the best attraction in the park to make way for TSL and Black Spire.

Wait, what was the "best attraction in the park" to make way for TSL and GE?

Do you mean Great Movie Ride? That is for MMRR

"Life Day" anyone....?

I know it's a delayed response but Life Day might actually get me into Galaxy's Edge. Only if there was a hopped-up Princess Leia and glitched out Harvey Korman walking around. I know your response was a bit "tongue in cheek" but I would have to say this would never happen. Lucas isn't a part of anything anymore, but his quote lives in infamy, "If I had the time and a sledgehammer, I would track down every copy of that show and smash it". Makes me want to see it happen even more now in the parks.

It seems to me that the entertainment layoffs are part of a regular refresh. I recall almost the exact same discussion 6+ months ago. Not sure this layoff is unusual.

It seems to me that the entertainment layoffs are part of a regular refresh. I recall almost the exact same discussion 6+ months ago. Not sure this layoff is unusual.

Yeah, that is what I said earlier. I think they don't want them getting stale. The drummers over in front of the Dawa Bar were neat to listen too, but man did it get old while I sat there drinking beers on a hot day in May. Wife and I couldn't hear ourselves talk so we ended up trekking to Nomad. I am sure it probably got old for the guys doing it too as it was the same thing over and over.

Yeah, that is what I said earlier. I think they don't want them getting stale. The drummers over in front of the Dawa Bar were neat to listen too, but man did it get old while I sat there drinking beers on a hot day in May. Wife and I couldn't hear ourselves talk so we ended up trekking to Nomad. I am sure it probably got old for the guys doing it too as it was the same thing over and over.

My only encounters with the drummers were pretty much negative. I'm sorry for the folks who lost their jobs, but I won't miss this particular performance.

I disagree I booked a tip last year because of The Muppets in Liberty Square. The trip wasn’t on the radar till that was announced. Live performance puppetry, especially The Muppets, is very rare and Muppets was the deciding factor between Disney land and world.
Wonderful! I'd be stunned if people in your shoes would hit even a measurable fraction of WDW attendance. Could be wrong, but I doubt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter