News Round Up 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
COMCAST GOT RID OF TCM!!!! We're done.

Here I come Disney + and Hulu (and Prime/Netflix and Chromecast). So long Xfinity. Cutting the cord tomorrow.

Here I come Disney + and Hulu (and Prime/Netflix and Chromecast). So long Xfinity. Cutting the cord tomorrow.
Until something is done about the monopolies that Comcast and every other major ISP holds across the country. You can cut all the cords you want, but you’ll still be turning to the gatekeeper for your internet based content.

And if you can put money on anything, it’s that one way or another Comcast is gonna get theirs. If your ISP doesn’t meter now, they’re just waiting for you to become addicted to your all-you-can-eat internet before turning it on.

Until something is done about the monopolies that Comcast and every other major ISP holds across the country. You can cut cords all you want, you’ll still be turning to the gatekeeper for your internet based content.

And if you can put money on anything, it’s that one way or another Comcast is gonna get theirs. If your ISP doesn’t meter now, they’re just waiting for you to become addicted to your all-you-can-eat internet before turning it on.

I can keep basic cable with internet from them and stream everything else for over $120 less a month than I'm paying now. Sure, they win keeping me as a basic cable customer but they will lose money on me. I rent all my movies from Redbox or Amazon.

They will fall eventually, they all do. Look at the taxi companies.

I can keep basic cable with internet from them and stream everything else for over $120 less a month than I'm paying now. Sure, they win keeping me as a basic cable customer but they will lose money on me.

They will fall eventually, they all do. Look at the taxi companies.
No, I agree. Those are great savings.

Like you, I only pay for basic plus internet. But who do we turn to when their business model shifts to being a primarily internet service provider because their cable television side is bleeding customer revenue and they jack their rates up by $120 dollars/month?

Until something is done about the monopolies that Comcast and every other major ISP holds across the country. You can cut cables all you want, you’ll still be turning to the gatekeeper for your internet based content.

I don’t know how long that will be the case. I already have Charter and AT&T as choices for traditional high speed wired internet providers. That said, my unlimited data package on my phone is cheaper than my traditional service and it is actually faster.

I am thinking about adding another line on my family’s wireless plan just to use as a hot spot for my home devices. I’ll leave that phone at home all the time with the home devices connected to it. As 5g rolls out further, this will become an option for more people. I can add that line for free.

Internet becomes a utility, like power or water. Owning the subscriber like Hulu or Disney+ is king. Disney will now know exactly what people watch and in what season to tie IP into all operations. Anna as a play by play announcer anyone?

I never watch it but they didn’t get rid of tcm. They just moved it to a higher package

Until something is done about the monopolies that Comcast and every other major ISP holds across the country. You can cut all the cords you want, but you’ll still be turning to the gatekeeper for your internet based content.

No, I agree. Those are great savings.

Like you, I only pay for basic plus internet. But who do we turn to when their business model shifts to being a primarily internet service provider because their cable television side is bleeding customer revenue and they jack their rates up by $120 dollars/month?

There's going to be a point where there are too many streaming services where everything is segmented. Disney+, Hulu, Netflix, PrimeVideo, CBS All Access, Peacock, FXNow, HBO Now...it's going to be just as expensive as cable. Then if/when the lower end streaming services start to lose subscribers, the cable companies will partner up and offer tiered bundles at a discount. 3 streaming platforms for $25, 5 streaming platforms for $35 bucks, 12 streaming platforms for $100. It's going to go back to being like cable, just with a different type of consumption (on demand vs. time schedule).

EDIT: Just my 2 cents at least

Last edited:
I never watch it but they didn’t get rid of tcm. They just moved it to a higher package

A ridiculous sports entertainment package. We already had the highest service and they changed again. Nope, done.

Doing at&t fiber internet with YouTube TV (with showtime, will add HBO). already have Prime. Will be paying $120 less a month.

Skyliner reopened all 3 lines today.

Yes, reports are in that Skyliner back open but will have some modified schedules due to system updates later this week:

The Disney Skyliner will be open from 8 a.m. to 10:30 p.m. but system updates later this week will result in the following modified operating hours:
  • October 16-18: October 16: The Disney Hollywood Studios line will be closed while the other two lines will be available from 1 p.m. – 10:30 p.m.
  • October 17-18: All lines will be open from 1 p.m. – 10:30 p.m.

Yes, reports are in that Skyliner back open but will have some modified schedules due to system updates later this week:

The Disney Skyliner will be open from 8 a.m. to 10:30 p.m. but system updates later this week will result in the following modified operating hours:
  • October 16-18: October 16: The Disney Hollywood Studios line will be closed while the other two lines will be available from 1 p.m. – 10:30 p.m.
  • October 17-18: All lines will be open from 1 p.m. – 10:30 p.m.

I would have finished the upgrades before opening the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter