News Round Up 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Falcon line is 90 minutes currently.

Cantina line was cut off minutes after the land opened.
It will be interesting to see how long the line for the lone attraction gets .. especially without Fast Pass. I would gather we won't see 3-4 hour wait times like FOP has seen, right? (Because of lot of that is because of the FP queue "cutting off" the standby queue).

But also since they are limiting people INTO the land itself, I am guessing these times will be lower than "normal"?

It will be interesting to see how long the line for the lone attraction gets .. especially without Fast Pass. I would gather we won't see 3-4 hour wait times like FOP has seen, right? (Because of lot of that is because of the FP queue "cutting off" the standby queue).

But also since they are limiting people INTO the land itself, I am guessing these times will be lower than "normal"?
Line is now down to 45 minutes.

I will start this off with saying that I am not defending that site: I used to frequent it regularly, but for a variety of reasons, primarily the misleading writing style at times, the clickbait feel to some posts, and the obnoxious video that would pop up and take up the entire screen until you closed out of it on every . . . single . . . page, I stopped going to that site and started actively avoiding it when possible. I even stopped clicking on many of the link that were posted on this feed when I saw that as the source although sometimes it was necessary to click on some of the stories.

That being said, the "shut up and don't ask about it" approach to anything related to that site being banned feels weird and unbecoming of a site such as this that prides itself on exchanges of ideas, open and civil discussion, its effort to stay free of bias, and full transparency. At a minimum, a full explanation of what is going on and why would go a long way towards at least helping us understand why a WDW "news" website is completely banned from this site. This would also help us to understand how to better approach and understand "news" and rumors that come from that site when encountered elsewhere in the Disney online community.

It also should be mentioned that if a website's journalistic standards are subpar, if there are problems with its reporting, sources, etc., if it's stories are at times essentially clickbait, these forums are the perfect venue for discussing this and how to deal with such sites. I understand not wanting to promote such a site or increase its traffic by allowing links here, but discussion, at a minimum, of such tactics is important for all of us. Pretending it doesn't exist through censorship does not make the problem go away.

Furthermore, the fact remains that the site in question does get quite a bit of traffic and its stories/rumors/whatever end up seen by many within the Disney fan community. The unfortunate reality is that many do not understand whether to take such posts with a grain of salt (and I am not familiar enough to all these sites to know whose sources are most reliable and in what instances and often look here for takes on such stories to see whether they're full of crap). These stories can then create an uproar elsewhere in the Disney fan community by those that simply take these stories at face value, which spreads the rumors even further and more inaccurately. In some cases, depending on the nature of the "story" itself, this can actually affect people's behavior as it relates to Disney products and services, which then in turn affects all of us. There has to be a middle ground that allows us to discuss the veracity of stories and thus combat rumor-mongering at the same time without promoting the source in a way that encourages them to continue to act in such a manner because of the financial incentive to do so (heavy site traffic).

Finally, all this is based on only an assumption of why this site was banned. Without even a thorough explanation, one cannot help but wonder if it's for some other reason such as personal reasons/relationships/animosity. This is not meant in any way to be an accusatory statement, but in the absence of information, misinformation, bred through both curiosity and a lack of accurate information, cannot help but creep in. While not completely apropos, the saying "Sunlight is the best disinfectant" certainly comes to mind here.
I wish I could like this post more than once. Well said and I agree completely. I get nervous when mods start talking about censorship.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter