Nice but NO I Don't like

dyna

DIS Veteran
Gson 15 made me a wooden coaster set, my DD paid way to much money to have it shipped to me. Coasters are a good 1/2 tall an I like flat smooth coasters less chance of spillin if I miss setting drink on middle of coaster.

HOW do I pretend to like?

ESP at a time when I am purging my house getting rid of anything I don't need or want or like. I have not yet listed my house but I will prolly sell my house an move to something smaller for just me...if not I have reached the point I do not want to take care of a pet rock.

Gson 15 made me a wooden coaster set, my DD paid way to much money to have it shipped to me. Coasters are a good 1/2 tall an I like flat smooth coasters less chance of spillin if I miss setting drink on middle of coaster.

ESP at a time when I am purging my house getting rid of anything I don't need or want or like. I have not yet listed my house but I will prolly sell my house an move to something smaller for just me...if not I have reached the point I do not want to take care of a pet rock.

You only use them when he comes over.

For real?

Its coasters. Its not like its something big that is taking up space and would be difficult to move....
Not sure how often you see Gson but I'd maybe keep the coasters around where you CAN use them but don't actually use them unless he's there.
In a few months to a year he's probably not going to pay much attention to what coasters you are or are not using. To me it would be a sentimental item that eventually I toss in a draw and then use or look at once in a while.
I have a small box of "gifts" my nieces and nephew have made for me over the years. I certainly don't need a string necklace with a plastic mickey bead but I'm also not throwing it in the garbage.

my DD paid way to much money to have it shipped to me.
Wow, this really hurts my heart.

Let me spin you a yarn. When I was 8/10, my dad taught me to knit. The first thing I made was a god-awful, mustard yellow scarf. It had huge gaping holes in it. Still, I was proud, and I gave it to my Pappy. He told me he loved it and thanked me for it.

Fast forward two years later. My dad was going to help Pappy with some yard work before the weather got too cold. As he was heading out the door, he asked me if I wanted to go. I said yes.

We pulled in his driveway, and he was standing in his yard with his back towards us and that awful scarf around his neck. There is absolutely nothing he could have done or said that made it any clearer how much he loved me.

That was actually the last time I saw him alive. He passed that Thanksgiving. Just a little food for thought.

Wow, this really hurts my heart.

Let me spin you a yarn. When I was 8/10, my dad taught me to knit. The first thing I made was a god-awful, mustard yellow scarf. It had huge gaping holes in it. Still, I was proud, and I gave it to my Pappy. He told me he loved it and thanked me for it.

Fast forward two years later. My dad was going to help Pappy with some yard work before the weather got too cold. As he was heading out the door, he asked me if I wanted to go. I said yes.

We pulled in his driveway, and he was standing in his yard with his back towards us and that awful scarf around his neck. There is absolutely nothing he could have done or said that made it any clearer how much he loved me.

That was actually the last time I saw him alive. He passed that Thanksgiving. Just a little food for thought.

Have you told that story here before? I had a major sense of déjà vu reading it. It’s a lovely memory to have.

The fact that he is a teenager and made something for you, and you are considering throwing it away? :sad1:

First, I bet your grandson and daughter were proud of the coasters. Why on earth should you give a hoot how much she paid for shipping? She mailed it for HIM too. He wanted you to have them. She likely saw how excited he was, and in turn felt just the same about sending them to you. My guess is it couldn't have been more than $20. And if so who cares, it isn't your money.

Second, I could understand if you lived close and he made stuff for you constantly like my daughter did when she was little and visited my mom frequently. My mom had nearly 100 pieces of her artwork and finally had to cut it down. I get that, as I too have to declutter and not keep everything my daughter has made. But making gifts at the age of 15? Unless he is sending you stuff all the time and you have more than a big storage bin of stuff he has recently sent you, then I personally cannot understand the aloofness to just throwing them out.

Maybe I am sentimental. Maybe it is because when my grandma passed she still had the little knit box I made her for her bingo chips back in 1981. Maybe it is because I can see how special it was for him to make them for you and all you see is unwanted coasters. And all of that makes me sad.

Like others said, keep the coasters. For crying out loud they don't take up a boatload of space. You will live even if it doesn't give you the Marie Kondo joy. Do it for your grandson. And like PP's said, use them when he comes to visit.

I had to snoop into your old posts because this was giving me grieving widow vibes...

First, I am sorry for your lost.

Second, I get how you are feeling about decluttering/purging. We just sold my widow father’s home, and the size and amount of stuff was overwhelming and frustrating. He was ready to haul it all to the dump.

So I think this is more about grief than it is about you not liking your grandson’s homemade gift. I really hope so. If not, suck it up for your sweet grandson.

Have to add: I hope you were gracious and told him you loved the coasters. My guess is you did. FWIW, if I were you, I would snap a picture on my phone using one and send it to him as an added thank you. It won't kill you to use them once, and I am sure he would love to see his hard work getting used.

In your defense, I am glad you came on here to express your feelings. I don't believe you ever want him to know you don't like them. Maybe our replies will help you see how lucky you are to have a family that loves you. I am not trying to be mean or rude, I am trying to shake you into seeing the true reality.

Homemade gifts are the absolute most wonderful gifts - even if you don’t need them or want them. To know that someone took the time out of their schedule to make something for you is incredibly heartwarming.

I understand your reason on why you don’t want to use them every day, but they are still very special. Sometimes you have to tell a white lie to spare someone’s feelings and this is one of those moments. Your grandson is probably very proud of those coasters - tell him you love them and then put them in a drawer and bring them out when he’s at your house. Please don’t throw them away - that makes me sad just thinking about it.

Place the coasters next to chairs that you don't usually use or display the set proudly on a side table and send him a picture with a note of thanks. When someone takes the time and effort to make something for you, the result shows how much they care. Don't look at the coasters as clutter but as a representation of your grandson's love for you.

My granddaughter loved to draw pictures for me and I have two of them framed and on my wall. There will be nothing more from her. She died at the age of six. Treasure every moment with your loved ones. And keep the coasters.

I'm so sorry :hug: Can't even imagine

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter