Nice but NO I Don't like

When someone makes your something you keep it no matter what. Use it for something.. anything. My mother painted me 2 things from "paint ceramics" classes. A gravy boat (that is way tiny), a pencil holder which looks like sport shorts. That gravy boat stays in my cabinet and I use it every Thanksgiving. It might not work great or be the best but she did it for me and when she's gone I will have it to remember her. The shorts I turned into a remote holder for my desk. It's ugly and has a heart on the butt.. ( idk why hah) but it's still on my desk.

So my point is.. use them.. even if not for coasters. And be grateful.

My granddaughter loved to draw pictures for me and I have two of them framed and on my wall. There will be nothing more from her. She died at the age of six. Treasure every moment with your loved ones. And keep the coasters.
I’m so sorry to hear this :hug:

And here I felt bad about considering to throw away a homemade Mother’s Day card my nieces and nephew made for me last year.

My mother has some art work my Aunt did back when she was a young adult. They are not the most aesthetically pleasing pieces and normally she would not display anything like them but my Aunt passed away a few years after making them. She treasures those pieces even though they don’t fit with her style.

Didn't you complain about your grandson's Christmas gift as well? He put together a box of treats from other countries that you were so ungracious about. Don't look at them as coasters, look at them as something you own grandson MADE especially for you, a symbol of love.

I hope you find a place you can store them and use them when he comes to visit. I remember my grandmother decluttering after my grandfather died and she made a lot of decisions based in grief and gave away a lot of things that she wishes she had waited to make a decision on.

My nephew's parents are divorced. He struggles every year for what he should give his mom as gifts because she has spent years telling him she's a minimalist and hates clutter and somehow that has translated to him that she won't appreciate anything he makes. It makes me so sad that he now feels like he has to figure out material things she'll find useful instead of a personalized handmade gift.

I have boxes of things my kids have made. One day we'll look through them together and they can decide what they want to keep or not. And sometimes I rotate it through my home as displayed artwork. I have a drawing in our house that is a framed drawing my SIL drew of my husband when they were kids. He saved it and I thought it was just so sweet.

I have several things that my DD made me as a kid, I still use them... When I go to grab something out of them, it makes me smile... When she comes over and she see them,and that I use them...she always smiles..

My grandson who is her son, makes all kinda things, and draws and colors... I have 2 fridges with his art working hanging on them, when we get a new picture or whatever, something come down and goes into tote of his art work.... he is 6... I have a tinker toy robot sitting in my living room he made, so when he comes next time, he will still be there... and he will make something else out of it...

I use to paint all the time ceramic pottery, and other stuff... , and my mom and dad still have it them set out in their house...

I am really sentimental so for me things like this mean the world to me...

Last edited:
Didn't you complain about your grandson's Christmas gift as well? He put together a box of treats from other countries that you were so ungracious about. Don't look at them as coasters, look at them as something you own grandson MADE especially for you, a symbol of love.
:( I remember that post and how painfully critical it was. If we’re talking about the same grandson here, it’s a miracle he bothered trying again. OP - please don’t hurt his feelings over this. Whatever you end up doing with the coasters, keep your trap shut about it and don’t ever let him know you didn’t want them.

When my MIL died, she left us a hutch that had been in her kitchen the entire time I had known her. A whole *** piece of furniture. With instructions that it was never to be sold.

OP, be happy he didn't make you a piece of furniture. This isn't complicated. Do what you knew without asking that you need to do. Nobody here is going to give you permission throw them out.

Very strange that you are so unaware about how weird this is that you are sharing it, do you just like rattling cages and maybe hurting your family just doesn't grab enough damage points?

Kids come first so your child and her child should be the priority. It's in your own best interests to knock it off or one day people will stop bothering to try to include you and no-one will feel bad... at all. You got a gift, find something nice to say and hang it somewhere as a wall decoration like everyone else.

This is a public service message from a person who knows people like you.

There are lots of things that can be done with coasters besides put drinks on them. I have a really pretty pair of totally impractical painted tile coasters that my daughter decorated in middle school, and I use them under candles in my office because like you, I'd forever be spilling drinks if I used them as intended.

As far as decluttering and downsizing, unless you have a veritable army of grandkids all sending you homemade gifts on a regular basis, it shouldn't be too hard to set aside enough space for items with particular sentimental value. I'm all about having less *stuff* in my life and I've never been that parent that saves every one of my kids' art projects and drawings, but really, even with three kids that are mostly past the "handmade gifts" stage (unless you count the masks my daughter has made us all for the pandemic), the special items don't amount to much more than a shoebox worth of holiday decorations, pencil holders, candleholders and coasters.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter