Nikki & Chris' PJ - 5/5/08 - 5 DAYS TO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hope1826

DIS Veteran
This is my second attempt at a PJ. I had started one late last year, but stopped it because I was way too stressed and in tears constantly. I was dealing with way too much all at the same time (3 months of pain due to female problems including a 2 week cancer scare and possible infertility, losing my job because I was constantly in the ER, and my FMIL demanding a Roman Catholic ceremony, blah, blah, blah).

So now, with a little over 2 months to go, a week away from starting a new job, the pain at a manageable level, and negative cancer tests, I thought it would be a great time for a fresh start. Everyone's PJs and TRs have been so incredibly helpful (and I LOVE seeing everyone's wedding dresses and wedding styles). Hopefully my PJ can be helpful too.

Since I am starting a new job next week, I am going to try to post as much info as I can before then. I will try to update regularly, but I honestly don't know what will happen.

I apologize in advance for the super large pics. (Does anyone know how to shrink pics in Photobucket?)

Who we are and how we met...
DF... Chris (30 today!! :yay:) :love:
Me... Nikki (30 in 3 weeks)

Disney1-1.jpg

How we met...
Chris and I first met during a dinner cruise around Manhattan for our architecture firm's 100th year anniversary celebration. He was scheduled to start work a week later and I had been there for a year. We didn't really notice each other that night. But on the first day of work, he was given the seat next to mine and we clicked immediately. We started dating three weeks later and have been inseparable ever since. My Matron of Honor, Wendy, and my Bridesmaid, Archana, both worked at that firm and did an amazing job helping to keep our relationship a big secret for a year!

The proposal...
Chris proposed while we were on a hiking trip. We had been searching for this particular waterfall for weeks. It was kind of off the trail and pretty hard to find, but finally on this particular day, we found it! I was hoping that he would propose and we had seriously talked about marriage since the first month of dating. And that day, October 20th was the anniversary of our first date.

So as we stood looking at the waterfall, I started to get sad, thinking about how perfect it would be if he would propose right then, without a ring even. I looked away trying to distract myself and so that he wouldn't see the disappointment in my face. When I turned back towards him, he was down on one knee, holding a ring box. I was soooooooooooo happy and excited I can't remember what he said, but it was perfect.:cloud9:

This is near where he proposed. I only had my camera phone with me and had only taken this pic. I stopped taking pictures after I partially fell into the little river/stream shortly after his proposal...
Photo-0170.jpg

This is my aquamarine ring...
Ring2-1.jpg

Ring1-1.jpg

Next up... The wedding details and more pics...

:yay: :yay: Yeah Nikki! Glad to see a pj! We had a similar, hide the relationship at work story! DF had to change jobs eventually, after that it came out!

Love your ring! Love the engagment story--nice when things fall into place!

Hi Nikki,

Cant wait to read more, what a lovely ring you have.

On a scarey level (as you said on one of my thread's that your name is Nichola) tell me about no one in America knowing this name... i cant get any merchandise and when i went on the ET ride i had to spell it for the guy... i felt like an alien... it's so common in the UK :rotfl:

Anyway coincidence number 2: My fiance is also called Chris

Coincidence no 3: We will also be 30 when we get married

Coincidence no 4: We were originally planning to have our wedding day on October 20th! cos obviously the way we write our dates in the UK is the reverse of USA so our date would have been 20/10/2010 which we really liked but now i think i may move it forward to May 2010 as then i can celebrate my 30th birthday in Florida too!

anyway, lots of freaky coincidences that i just had to mention lol

Cant wait to read the rest of your PJ! Good luck with the new job too!

The Wedding...

May 5, 2008 @ 5 pm
46 guests invited (36 adults, 10 children)

Ceremony @ Sea Breeze Point
boardwalk2.jpg

Cocktail Hour and Dinner Party @ The Attic at the Boardwalk Inn Resort
TheAttic1.jpg

Illuminations Dessert Party @ Upper UK
UpperUK.jpg

Coordinator... Pam Pearce :thumbsup2
Planner...Celeste DiCicco :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2
Assistant Planner... Linda Rhodes :thumbsup2

Officiant...Reverend Kevin Knox
Photographer... Misty Miotto
Hair & Makeup... Patricia LeJeune

Welcome/Rehearsal Character Breakfast... The Garden Grove @ The Swan Hotel (At $17 per adult it's much more affordable than everything else we looked into) Sunday May 4 (Ressies for 50 guests - our invited wedding guests have invited guests of their own, we aren't making room for them at the wedding, but we are inviting them to join us for all pre-wedding meals and get togethers)

C0178.jpg

My dress (EEEEEEEKKKKKKK, it doesn't fit due to evil medications -:headache: the zipper stops about 3 inches from the top! Since this is Problem #10 out of about 20 things to go wrong so far, I am completely not freaking out about anything anymore. My first fitting and alterations are on March 15th and they said they can make the bust area larger for a reasonable price - $65. Maybe I will freak out then, if they say it can't be done. :confused3)

It is from David's Bridal and I am so in love with it. I really thought I would HATE David's Bridal but after being disappointed by several Central Jersey Bridal Salons, I gave in and went to David's. It wasn't the most perfect dress buying experience, but it was a hundred times better than the others.

On the model (mine is in Ivory with champagne beading and about a million sizes larger!!)...
gown.jpg

blurry self pics.:confused3
Gown1-1.jpg

The train...
Train-1.jpg

Cut edge cathedral length drop veil similar to this....
Veil1.jpg

The Wedding Party

My ladies...
MOH - Wendy (friend)
BM - Mariam (my cousin- she's not engaged yet, but I am trying to convince her to have a Disney wedding when the time comes, so far so good)
BM - Angie (my cousin)
BM - Archana (friend)
Jr. Bridesmaid - Jascinth (my 11 year old niece)
Flowergirl - Michelle (my 6 year old niece)

The bridesmaids and junior bridesmaid will be wearing this in "truffle"...
s08_f12441.jpg

I think it looks much prettier on Archana's virtual model...
Ladies.png

Chris' gents
BM - Jeremy (DF's best friend/college roommate)
GM - Kevin (DF's best friend from first grade)
GM - Bryan (DF's other best friend/college roommate)
GM - Trevor (my younger brother)
Ring Bearer ... Quinlan (DF's Godson/ Bryan's 5 yr old son)

They will be wearing something similar to this with "truffle" ties and vests... DF will wear the same tux with an Ivory tie and vest...

radnor_912_small.jpg

Next up... invitations (they have been posted elsewhere on this forum, but I will post again, because I love them), flowers and tiara!

:yay: :yay: Yeah Nikki! Glad to see a pj! We had a similar, hide the relationship at work story! DF had to change jobs eventually, after that it came out!

Love your ring! Love the engagment story--nice when things fall into place!

Thank you!! Things falling into place is definitely a nice feeling. I'm hoping that keeps happening at least for a little while. We are going to try to conceive right after the wedding. I will need massive amounts of pixie dust to make that fall into place!

Are you still at that same job? How long did you keep your relationship secret. It's such a bizarre experience.

I think our bosses all knew, but they didn't care. If anything our productivity was improving, because we were constantly helping each other and we were at the exact same level.

Hi Nikki,

Cant wait to read more, what a lovely ring you have.

On a scarey level (as you said on one of my thread's that your name is Nichola) tell me about no one in America knowing this name... i cant get any merchandise and when i went on the ET ride i had to spell it for the guy... i felt like an alien... it's so common in the UK :rotfl:

Anyway coincidence number 2: My fiance is also called Chris

Coincidence no 3: We will also be 30 when we get married

Coincidence no 4: We were originally planning to have our wedding day on October 20th! cos obviously the way we write our dates in the UK is the reverse of USA so our date would have been 20/10/2010 which we really liked but now i think i may move it forward to May 2010 as then i can celebrate my 30th birthday in Florida too!

anyway, lots of freaky coincidences that i just had to mention lol

Cant wait to read the rest of your PJ! Good luck with the new job too!

Thank you Nicola!! WOW, that is a lot. Especially the names. Is your DF a Christoper too?

I think Nichola (Nicola) is a beautiful name. But it has given me such a :headache: . In America, when people see it written (teachers, doctors, nurses, etc...) the norm is for people to assume that I forgot to write an "s" at the end, so they call out for "Nicholas". I then stand up and correct them and they fight with me and say "No, I'm calling Nicholas, a MAN!!" They then look embarrassed after seeing my id. Oh well!:confused3

What date do you want in May 2010? I vote for May 5!! lol

Hooray! I'm so glad you are able to start your PJ again! I love your dress - even in a blurry pic, it looks much better on you than on that model (she reminds me of the Afghan Hound we had growing up...all she needs are long floppy ears).

Can't wait to hear more! popcorn::

Hi Nikki,

Loving your work so far :thumbsup2

My man is indeed a Christopher too... i call him either... his family tend to use his full name so i do too but my family always shorten it to Chris... he's easy though so thats cool.

I know i really have no idea as to why my (our) name is so strange in America... i guess the name Nicole took off more over there lol... when i was there in 2006 i was queuing up for buzz lightyear ride and i had my name tag on from ET and a girl infront of me was amazed to meet someone else named Nicola and she was also called that but it was really rare in America... it wasnt you was it? :confused3

Oh well at least we stand out from the crowd lol

With regards to the date, my birthday is on 31st may so i would be looking at getting married around the 26th may (so it will still say 29 on my marriage cert lol). we would have liked the 23rd may (as that was chris' grandma's birthday) but that falls on a sunday in 2010 which would send our budget out of control so we're thinking of arriving in Florida on a sat... get married on the weds... have my 30th on the following mon... and then wave our families goodbye on the fri... and then stay on ourselves for a week as our honeymoon.

Anyway sorry to babble on within your PJ... your dress is stunning and you look stunning in it!

If youve got anymore pics of the UK venue or you know a website who does can you let me know... am struggling to find anything... could do with a menu too but having no luck on the sites ive been too.

I am glad to hear that things are looking up for you :hug: I love the engagement story and your ring is soooo gorgeous! I agree with Carrie, the dress looks much better on you! :goodvibes Looking forward to reading more of your plans!

Yay! :yay: Another PJ to stalk, err.. I mean READ! :lmao:

LOVE that dress on you! Absolutely gorgeous!! I can't wait to read more of your plans!

All your plans seem to be coming along good. In regards to Davids Bridal, there will be something they can do. My dress was way to small (due to the period of depression I went through) and they just exchanged it for a bigger size. Can't wait to hear more.

Hooray! I'm so glad you are able to start your PJ again! I love your dress - even in a blurry pic, it looks much better on you than on that model (she reminds me of the Afghan Hound we had growing up...all she needs are long floppy ears).

Can't wait to hear more! popcorn::

Thank you so much Carrie! You are hilarious!!! :rotfl2: :lmao: Something is definitely wrong with a few of the Davids Bridal models.

gown-1.jpg

... Creepy but true!! :lmao:

Thank you all for the wonderful comments about my dress!! I'm speechless, especially since it doesn't fit and I couldn't have taken a blurry pic!! you are all so great!! :grouphug:

Hi Nikki,

Loving your work so far :thumbsup2

My man is indeed a Christopher too... i call him either... his family tend to use his full name so i do too but my family always shorten it to Chris... he's easy though so thats cool.

I know i really have no idea as to why my (our) name is so strange in America... i guess the name Nicole took off more over there lol... when i was there in 2006 i was queuing up for buzz lightyear ride and i had my name tag on from ET and a girl infront of me was amazed to meet someone else named Nicola and she was also called that but it was really rare in America... it wasnt you was it? :confused3

Oh well at least we stand out from the crowd lol

With regards to the date, my birthday is on 31st may so i would be looking at getting married around the 26th may (so it will still say 29 on my marriage cert lol). we would have liked the 23rd may (as that was chris' grandma's birthday) but that falls on a sunday in 2010 which would send our budget out of control so we're thinking of arriving in Florida on a sat... get married on the weds... have my 30th on the following mon... and then wave our families goodbye on the fri... and then stay on ourselves for a week as our honeymoon.

Anyway sorry to babble on within your PJ... your dress is stunning and you look stunning in it!

If youve got anymore pics of the UK venue or you know a website who does can you let me know... am struggling to find anything... could do with a menu too but having no luck on the sites ive been too.

No, that wasn't me. Except for our Disney trip last May, I haven't been to Disney since I was 12!!

I think our name is just British. I've met one other female Nicola in the US. My dad is Jamaican, so it is a very normal name for him. His name is Cecil and my brother's name is Trevor Aston- both very British. I totally understand being looked at like an alien, that's why I just go by Nikki. It happens on a daily basis. Oh and people really LOVE to say "Neee-cola" in the same way as that Ricola cough drop commercial from years ago. They crack themselves up, even in professional settings.

You should consider early May, I think the hotel prices go WAY WAY up around Memorial Day! Also, when we were there last year in early to mid May, there were virtually no lines for any rides. I think our longest wait was 20 minutes for the Aerosmith Roller Coaster.

I am glad to hear that things are looking up for you :hug: I love the engagement story and your ring is soooo gorgeous! I agree with Carrie, the dress looks much better on you! :goodvibes Looking forward to reading more of your plans!

YAY!! Thank you! I'm gathering more pics to post later. Hopefully soon.

Yay! :yay: Another PJ to stalk, err.. I mean READ! :lmao:

LOVE that dress on you! Absolutely gorgeous!! I can't wait to read more of your plans!

Thank you !!
lol. I never thought it would be so much fun to be stalked!

All your plans seem to be coming along good. In regards to Davids Bridal, there will be something they can do. My dress was way to small (due to the period of depression I went through) and they just exchanged it for a bigger size. Can't wait to hear more.

You have no idea, how much better hearing that makes me feel. I keep reading horror stories about Davids Bridal, so although I am not freaking out, I am completely bracing myself.

I hope you are doing better now!! :hug:

I am doing much better. I am young and long story short my parents decided to get divorced my senior year of high school and DH got engaged Spring Break of my senior year. So for the few months I was depressed about my parents. But I am much better now, thank you for asking.

I was going to ask if there was an American holiday around that time period... we wouldnt go any earlier though as whole point of bringing the date forward is to be out there for my birthday, plus my flowergirls (chris' twin nieces) get a week off school at the end of may so they would only have to request 1 week off of school (for 2 weeks away from school, it's a big deal over here and the parents can be fined!) so we want to avoid all that if poss lol

Chris and i are DVC members so our 3 weeks is going to be paid out of our points... as for everyone else, the hotel prices dont appear to be that bad and did i hear with a wishes wedding that they offer your guests a discount on disney resorts? would prob still work out too much for them but worth a price up i feel lol.

Nikki! You started a PJ! Woo hoo!

I'm sooo sorry that you were having such a rough time. I knew that things were bad, but I certainly didn't know to what extent. I'm so glad that things are looking up and getting better. And in just a short while you're gonnna be a :bride: and Mrs.!! Nifty, huh?

You were a phenomenal cheerleader for me during my planning. I only hope that I can do the same for you. :hug: And now I better get my TR up so you have some SBP experience to help you along the way. Or at least know what to expect. I imagined things a million times in my head, but that still doesn't really prepare you! Hopefully I have some pictures that will make you more familiar with where you're gonna be and what happens!

Keep on keeping on! :goodvibes

I am doing much better. I am young and long story short my parents decided to get divorced my senior year of high school and DH got engaged Spring Break of my senior year. So for the few months I was depressed about my parents. But I am much better now, thank you for asking.

I'm glad you're doing better. I've had to deal with depression and I know it is not easy.

I was going to ask if there was an American holiday around that time period... we wouldnt go any earlier though as whole point of bringing the date forward is to be out there for my birthday, plus my flowergirls (chris' twin nieces) get a week off school at the end of may so they would only have to request 1 week off of school (for 2 weeks away from school, it's a big deal over here and the parents can be fined!) so we want to avoid all that if poss lol

Chris and i are DVC members so our 3 weeks is going to be paid out of our points... as for everyone else, the hotel prices dont appear to be that bad and did i hear with a wishes wedding that they offer your guests a discount on disney resorts? would prob still work out too much for them but worth a price up i feel lol.

Yep, I think Memorial Day is on Monday May 26th. Late May definitely sounds better for you especially since you are DVC members. We plan on looking into that, do you think it is worth it?

Honestly, I thought the discounts would have been better for the Value and Moderate Resorts. The discount Disney offered for the Grand Floridian was amazing (almost $100 less than normal) but NONE of my guests chose it, because it's still WAY too expensive. We are the only ones using our wedding discount. Our guests got much better discounts through AAA.

Nikki! You started a PJ! Woo hoo!

I'm sooo sorry that you were having such a rough time. I knew that things were bad, but I certainly didn't know to what extent. I'm so glad that things are looking up and getting better. And in just a short while you're gonnna be a :bride: and Mrs.!! Nifty, huh?

You were a phenomenal cheerleader for me during my planning. I only hope that I can do the same for you. :hug: And now I better get my TR up so you have some SBP experience to help you along the way. Or at least know what to expect. I imagined things a million times in my head, but that still doesn't really prepare you! Hopefully I have some pictures that will make you more familiar with where you're gonna be and what happens!

Keep on keeping on! :goodvibes

YAY, I'm so glad you've started your TR! Even though it was hard to write in my own PJ back then, reading your PJ and everyone else's PJs made me very happy! It really helped in getting my mind off of what was going on. So, you've already helped me immeasurably. :hug:

I can't wait till you post your pics! Like someone had said, you really did look like a glamorous Barbie Doll!! And Chuck was your mobster Ken doll!!

Ok, my intent is not to complain or vent, but I do want to recap what has gone on and what else is planned. This will be followed by lots of pics! I promise!

My FIL's are paying for a huge NJ reception so that everyone they know will be able to celebrate with us. It is going to be held a week before our Disney wedding (June, July and August were too expensive and September was too late) and 250 people have been invited. I AM worried that they are somehow going to try to make this into a surprise Catholic blessing. I have been told by one Catholic priest that this would be impossible. But another Catholic priest told me that under some circumstances, it could be done.

So why do I think this surprise may take place...
- FMIL has been demanding a catholic ceremony since the day after our DF's proposal.
-My extremely Roman Catholic FMlL still seems to be pretending that our very REAL Disney ceremony, which is being officiated by an ordained minister, Rev. Kevin knox, and is centered around God (not religion) is NOT a real ceremony. It seems like she is pretending that this is just a fabulous party she is going to. By doing this, I think she can still attend our "invalid" wedding without risking her soul. Whatever! :confused3
- The RC guests who told us they were so excited to attend our wedding, when they assumed it was going to be in an RC church "regretfully declined" our Disney invite did accept the NJ invite. Why is it ok to celebrate our sinful marriage the week before, but not come to the actual wedding?
- FILs requested that I wear a wedding dress to the NJ reception.
- FILs wanted real wedding invitations for this party and wanted the wording to say "Cocktail Wedding Reception" instead of what it really was "Cocktail Pre-wedding Reception". We fought over this for weeks and finally when I said that I wasn't going to lie to my family and I would send my side different invitations, they accepted "Formal Pre-wedding Cocktail Reception". :headache: (This all started happening while all of my health and job issues were getting worse)
- Now FILs are STEALING some of our Disney wedding plans for their NJ reception. FMIL recently asked what our first dance song was going to be... regretfully I told them, "At Last" by Etta James. She then turned to FFIL and told him to make sure that his friend's jazz trio practices that song well before the NJ reception. She then said, "we can't have them mess our your first dance!" How can we have our first dance as Mr. and Mrs. a week before we marry? :headache: :headache:
- I was planning on displaying the wedding pictures of our parents and grandparents in pretty frames on the guestbook table at Disney. They now want that done at the NJ reception. And they want us to have their 250 guests sign in the guestbook we have for Disney.

So that's where we are now. This is just part of what I'm referring to when I say that so much has gone wrong that I don't care anymore. I just can't wait to be at Disney and have my magical wedding day and I'm not going to let them ruin it. They can steal whatever they want. :confused3

NO MORE DRAMA...PICS, PICS, AND MORE PICS!!! :cheer2:
Anyway, I am completely not as organized as so many of you are, but I love crafts and I have been trying to get things done despite all of the drama. So here are lots of pics, as promised...

Invitations...
There are Swarovski crystals on the Boardwalk Map that are refusing to show up in pictures...

ExtCard_2-1.jpg

120507077-1.jpg

120507078-1.jpg

120507082-1.jpg

Guest Book, Ringbearer Pillow, Parents and Grandparents frames, Picture frame Favors...

I searched for an affordable, yet beautiful ringbearer pillow for two months and finally bought something I thought I would like by Beverly Clark. I was so disappointed when it came ( I hate it so much I can't even post a picture of it). I tried to make it better by adding sparkle and changing the ribbons, but nothing worked. I kept searching and came up with nothing. We don't really have a theme, we kind of just want an overgrown enchanted fairy tale forest Lord of the Ringsy kind of feel. That's ridiculous and insanely hard to shop for. Finally last week, while cleaning the house, I picked up this round handcarved wooden box I had gotten DF for Christmas and a light bulb went off. :idea: This was the result....
DSC02597.jpg

The guest book was the first thing I bought right after we got engaged. A newlywed friend of ours recommended guestbookstore.com and I LOVE it!!:cheer2:
DSC02596.jpg

DF's parent's and grandparent's wedding pictures with the guestbook. We are now thinking to use them as centerpieces, so that we aren't exactly repeating our idea that was stolen for the NJ reception. The tables at the Attic are small, 4 chairs each. So we may just have a scattering of blush pink rose petals with a votive candles, an ancestral wedding picture and a double sided color picture of a Disney couple dancing or kissing (this would serve as the table name also- I will post pics of that later)...
DSC02595.jpg

My maternal grandparents on their wedding day. (See Lurklyoo Carrie, dated but perfect!!) and a sample of the favors. We plan on giving each adult guest a different love quote in a different mini picture frame (quote and frame tailored to their personality). They will also each get a milk, white or dark chocolate Mickey or Minnie. I will post the kids favors once I collect all of the stuff and take pics...
Photovingette.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter