No Cell Signal in my own home..

Mac4life30

DIS Veteran
I have horrible reception currently at home and anywhere around where I live. Its so bad I cannot make a phone call... The problem has been ongoing now since Last September. ATT claims they have exhausted all possibilities in assisting me.. My question is in this day and age of no more contracts what would happen next? I called Verizon and they said I could fight it.. But then I ask myself "fight what" I am free to go any time I want. I do however have to pay what I owe on the phone just like i would had I bought it on credit.. Am I wrong in thinking this? Can a cell carrier take back a phone because they cannot provide you service in your own home.

Not sure if they can take back a phone for lack of coverage area. I know that there have been places that we have lived in the last 3 years that had a lack of cell service, some areas being more provider specific. We briefly switched from Verizon to Sprint and lost coverage/service in most areas where we lived in WA and in nearby Idaho, where we previously had coverage/service when under Verizon. We switched back. The higher bill was worth having coverage/service.

The Wifi calling wont work either.. I do have good wifi though 100MBPS so I am not sure why it wont work..

To answer your OP, not a provider can't take back your phone because it doesn't work in your home. Buying a phone and paying for service are different. You can switch providers and keep your phone but you will have to pay it off.

how did you switch back so easily? Did you have to pay any fees?

Our contact was over for Verizon which was why we switched. Yes, we had to pay early termination fees for Sprint (phones). I think Verizon paid some of it as an enticement to return to them.

A lot of folks don't realize how many dead zones there are with cell phones. We have phones from 2 different carriers in some of our trucks, a 2 way radio, and in one truck a satellite phone because of this.

This. My friends have zero cell coverage in their home, so they use their WiFi to text and make calls. The downside is that when our town loses power, they can’t call.
Correct, which is one of the reasons we still have a landline. I also keep my landline for 911.

We just switched to at&t from Verizon for our cell phones. We have 1 bar in our house with at&t. We had a much better signal with Verizon.

We are able to use WiFi from Comcast to make our phones useable in our home.

I have heard that our neighborhood has such bad coverage from at&t that some neighbors have been given boosters by at&t so they can use their service at their houses.

I would suggest you try a different carrier, if you use AT&T try Verizon (or a MVNO that uses VZ's network).
We have horrible cell service in our home, and Verizon is the only one that we can get any signal with.
People who come here with AT&T cannot use their phone at all.

make sure u find someone who has Verizon and see if service exist. At my parent's house, ATT really sucks too. but once i walk outside it bars go up and i can make calls. The house makes service sucks. I invited other ppl to my house and they all dont have good service.

Im assuming your using your neighbors wifi so this might not help but u can ask att to give u a microcell that basically turns wifi to cell service. This is what we currently do at my parents house to get calls all over the house.

I have horrible reception currently at home and anywhere around where I live. Its so bad I cannot make a phone call... The problem has been ongoing now since Last September. ATT claims they have exhausted all possibilities in assisting me.. My question is in this day and age of no more contracts what would happen next? I called Verizon and they said I could fight it.. But then I ask myself "fight what" I am free to go any time I want. I do however have to pay what I owe on the phone just like i would had I bought it on credit.. Am I wrong in thinking this? Can a cell carrier take back a phone because they cannot provide you service in your own home.

Do you have a metal roof? My mom started having problems with her cell service the same time she got a metal roof. Verizon brought some sort of booster to fix it.

My DH work phone use to have their contract with AT&T. There were a lot of dead spots including our neighborhood.

The Wifi calling wont work either.. I do have good wifi though 100MBPS so I am not sure why it wont work..

Maybe try troubleshooting this. Your wifi is better than mine and wifi calling works just fine in my house. It also worked well for me on a cruise ship where internet tends to be slow and bogged down. Could you possibly have a defective phone?

I have terrible reception in my New York home with Verizon for calls but, texting works fine. Works great everywhere else. Verizon wants to erect a tower in my area but the town will not let them. Last I heard Verizon was suing the town in federal court over the matter.

Maybe try troubleshooting this. Your wifi is better than mine and wifi calling works just fine in my house. It also worked well for me on a cruise ship where internet tends to be slow and bogged down. Could you possibly have a defective phone?

I was curious what phone OP has. The sign of death on my iPhone 5s was that I no longer had a signal. They said I could bring it in for service, but by that point it was old, so I upgraded to a new one.

I don't know if AT&T or Verizon offer this, but my MIL has terrible service in her home and at my previous house I had extremely spotty service. T-Mobile offered what amounted to a personal cell tower that can be installed inside the home. It does require internet, but it acts as a 4G LTE connection inside the home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter