• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

No more towel characters

That and it certainly takes time to create them. If the rooms are full or their is a big turn over, it is asking a lot of the staff. No doubt gratuities play a part in the tale.

Wow. Our room at Pop was very clean and that was all we expected. If I understand it correctly these towel animals were always meant to be random extras and the problem is that people started to expect them.

That's a major problem I see with Disney (among other things) and our modern spread of information....magical extras that were supposed to be secrets or special for certain guests are found out by thousands of others and now expected to be the norm.

Wow. Our room at Pop was very clean and that was all we expected. If I understand it correctly these towel animals were always meant to be random extras and the problem is that people started to expect them.

Exactly. As this thread proves. Some people just don't get it.

That's exactly it. Word got out that once in a while mousekeepers would leave towel animals if they had time or wanted to do something special. And then the next thing you know, everybody was complaining if they didn't get a towel animal, would leave larger and larger tips in special envelopes, sometimes with a hint, it just spiraled completely out of control. A lot of the mousekeepers didn't even know how to make them, and then felt pressured to do so.

People, what makes your trip special is YOUR FAMILY being together. Not a towel animal, not getting upgraded to concierge level, not getting fastpass at 60 days + 10 for SDMT, not getting a ressie for BoG at 180+10. If somebody else got something a little special, that's great for them, but it doesn't mean their vacation was more special than yours.

Disney is probably trying to cut cost.. People take the towels home when they leave.. Agh!

I was staying at Pop Century for my 60th birthday. On my birthday, myMousekeeper left me a birthday cake made from towels, and a birthday card. i stopped at the desk on my way out later that day and asked for a manager. I explained i was here for my 60th birthday, and was traveling alone, and thought it was so nice to come back to the room and find that on the bed. i was just about in tears. i never expected anyone to even know it was my birthday, and she made my day. he stated he would inform her supervisor (he asked what room i was in-and actually wrote it down) and he said to be sure to take the towel sculptures home with me....i was like WOW...[GALLERY=]DSCF0840.JPG DSCF0524.JPG DSCF0930.JPG
[/GALLERY]

i went back again to the manager and said it was so nice of the mousekeeper to leave several others...again he stated..PLEASE..FEEL FREE TO TAKE THEM HOME WITH YOU.... so i did.. they now sit around my bedroom...including an elephant and turtle i do not have pix of.....along with the memories of an amazing trip

I never got a towel animal. And now I never will :(

Oh well as long as I have a towel!

(We did have two stuffed mickeys and a card for my boys' birthday in or room on our last trip.... But my SIL put in a call to a friend for that. Still made our trip extra special - mostly because she thought to do it for them :) )

Anyway, I think the towel animals are cute but not a make or break. Do you still get the Mickey on arrival? If so consider me golden.

I was staying at Pop Century for my 60th birthday. On my birthday, myMousekeeper left me a birthday cake made from towels, and a birthday card. i stopped at the desk on my way out later that day and asked for a manager. I explained i was here for my 60th birthday, and was traveling alone, and thought it was so nice to come back to the room and find that on the bed. i was just about in tears. i never expected anyone to even know it was my birthday, and she made my day. he stated he would inform her supervisor (he asked what room i was in-and actually wrote it down) and he said to be sure to take the towel sculptures home with me....i was like WOW...[GALLERY=]View attachment 165662 View attachment 165664 View attachment 165663
[/GALLERY]

i went back again to the manager and said it was so nice of the mousekeeper to leave several others...again he stated..PLEASE..FEEL FREE TO TAKE THEM HOME WITH YOU.... so i did.. they now sit around my bedroom...including an elephant and turtle i do not have pix of.....along with the memories of an amazing trip
When did you stay?

Just received word from housekeeping and front desk management that their will no longer be anymore towel animals made in the disney world resort properties. Management said a focus survey stated guest would rather have cleaner rooms then towel characters. I'm lost on this but I just checked out of the cabins in Fort wilderness and saw supervision tell a 27 year employed housekeeper she would be reprimanded if she made any characters. Oh how the times have changed.
What a shame - always looked forward to coming back to that surprise. After learning how to make them - I can't imagine it would actually take THAT long to make one? Yes I want a clean room - but this was always so "special" :(

I've only stayed in a Disney hotel twice so far, and didn't get an animal towel, or a mickey shape or anything like that. I can see why they are special, but I don't think it's a promised service. If I find one on my next trip, I'll be really touched but if not I'll be happy anyway - for me, it's the great service of many Cast Members what makes it special.

I appreciate their hard work anyway when I come back tired to a clean room where everything is tidy and put away. These people are on low salaries and I really appreciate their efforts, even if it's their job. Let's be grateful for those who make us feel nice when we walk into a clean room :)

I have always loved the towel animals. The first time we saw them, we called to ask if we could buy them and were informed that they were ours to take at no charge. One year we were there at Christmas and were told that cast members were down in the lobby making towel dolls and large animals and just giving them away to people. To me they are Disney magic and even though we are old people I would be disappointed if the room did not have them. The last stay in Orlando we opted to stay at Radisson and our room had a large towel elephant in the bathroom that was adorable. Those were not available to take and they appeared insulted when I asked if we could buy it. Made me wonder how many people had enjoyed it in the BR before we got there!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter