No more towel characters

I'm lost on this but I just checked out of the cabins in Fort wilderness and saw supervision tell a 27 year employed housekeeper she would be reprimanded if she made any characters. Oh how the times have changed.

Stop being unique and plussing the experience. We're going to be generic and help management get huge bonuses! Now line up and make it happen!

We stayed at CR in April and got 3 towel animals one night
We just got back from a stay at POR on Tuesday. We had a Mickey made from rolled towels in our room at check in
These are the first ones we've gotten since the policy change.
Maybe they are relaxing things a bit?

We just got back from a stay at POR on Tuesday. We had a Mickey made from rolled towels in our room at check in
I hope so. My girls are older now, but they still like to get a towel animal. It's the little things I guess...:flower1:

Funniest thing is I had just that day told my Mom about the towel animals and how it was a shame she'd not get to see them as they were no longer doing them. They went in the room before me and DGD started squealing to see them. It was quite the highlight for her

We were really looking forward to this during our trip last June and didn't get even one. Hopefully that will change this time around. It's kind of silly but I know my kids would love it. Thanks for sharing!

In general, a Mickey head made from rolled up towels (which you are not supposed to take with you) is not considered a "towel animal", which is made from towels/washcloths which are worn and due to be thrown away anyway (which you are encouraged to take with you). Typically the latter involves things like eyes and other things hot glued to the towels/washcloths, while the former are simply rolled up towels, unmodified in any way. So, sorry, you really didn't get a "towel animal".

In general, a Mickey head made from rolled up towels (which you are not supposed to take with you) is not considered a "towel animal", which is made from towels/washcloths which are worn and due to be thrown away anyway (which you are encouraged to take with you). Typically the latter involves things like eyes and other things hot glued to the towels/washcloths, while the former are simply rolled up towels, unmodified in any way. So, sorry, you really didn't get a "towel animal".
Really? So what do you call these?
20160418_201525.jpg
20160418_201512.jpg

And even this is nothing like the former rolled towels Mickey heads they used to do. We got this at CR and POR. But fine, it's not a towel animal. It's a towel decoration. And I didn't call it a towel animal anyway.
20160418_201532.jpg

Really? So what do you call these?
20160418_201525.jpg
20160418_201512.jpg

And even this is nothing like the former rolled towels Mickey heads they used to do. We got this at CR and POR. But fine, it's not a towel animal. It's a towel decoration. And I didn't call it a towel animal anyway.
20160418_201532.jpg

I call them folded towels which, while pretty, are NOT the same as the towel animals you are expected to take home. The ones that were specifically banned were the ones that had eyes and other things added via hot glue. That towel Mickey head looks exactly like the one we got in Oct 2013 at the Poly on our honeymoon...

I call them folded towels which, while pretty, are NOT the same as the towel animals you are expected to take home. The ones that were specifically banned were the ones that had eyes and other things added via hot glue. That towel Mickey head looks exactly like the one we got in Oct 2013 at the Poly on our honeymoon...
Ok. I guess per your rules, they are still no longer doing towel animals. They are doing animals made out of towels. Better?
I'm not sure how taking them home has a thing to do with it either. Who would want to take them home anyway? Never did understand that.
They were told to stop because it takes time. And because some idiot guests had the nerve to complain when they didn't get them. As far as I'm concerned, the ones we got did take time to make so they would be against their new instructions. They did take time.

I know my brother has a few Disney towel characters, but I think the main problem is how often do they really toss towels? I think supply and demand are the main cause. I can see maybe having one during check in, but how long can they really keep that going if everybody takes them home, and if they don't, who wants a towel character that was in another persons room? I think doing what AngiTN had on her bed is more than enough. They want you to purchase sourviners, not take home old towels.

Towels that have been folded into animal shapes have been a big part of the excitement on cruises for my daughter, and she's disappointed if one hasn't been made for her! Yes they take time, but are part of the experience!

I hope we at least find some folded towels.. it's my first stay at a Disney hotel and I've always wanted to walk in and see that Mickey head out of towels. It seems silly but that really says 'Welcome to Disney' to me

We had a couple of old washcloths made into bugs with eyes and other attachments from our trip Dec 2015 so they still do them.

Last edited:
well just found this thread, glad I still have the one we brought home the little birdie they made for us at cbr in jan 2014. I think they are a lovely touch and wish they would bring them back. it is the little things that make Disney special, the attention to small details that cause pleasant small surprises. now all they want to offer are "special experiences" that have huge price tags to make those special memories. *sigh*

The downgraded staff can barely keep the rooms clean never mind go above and beyond that to make towel characters IMO.

I think it probably has a lot more to do with time constraints/volume of rooms to clean and staffing levels and also guests' expectations of getting a towel animal. They used to be a wonderful surprise if you happen to get one. Now you see those posts on the boards that guests expect to get towel animals everyday and if they don't it's the end of the world. I've had trips where I got one or two and I've had trips where I received none - still had fabulous trips regardless.
Sorry I know this is an old post but to imply towel animals have been stopped because of Muslims complaining about animals being dirty is the most ludicrous ignorant thing I've ever heard! Is Mickey Mouse the head of Disney not an animal? I'm pretty sure Muslims have no problem with him or Pluto and goofy! They are in Disney after all!

Oh! we had some lovely towel animals (little ones with eyes and that) on our trip in 2010. I didn't know you were allowed to KEEP them! They were so cute and my son loved them.

I am sad they are removing these little touches. I mean, we always thought we had managed to be nice to housekeeping on a day we got an animal. (I know it sounds stupid, but I like to feel like they feel like we appreciate them)

We got this cute little fella on our most recent trip last week at the Wilderness Lodge

iHv5GMB.jpg

DCQlaKj.jpg

Really? Last week? That is awesome. Maybe they are relaxing their rules on the no more towel animals rule.

I haven't seen a towel animal (with glued on eyes or without) on our last several trips, but maybe we will in a couple of weeks. We have had our baby dolls and stuffed animals arranged in very cute ways, and sometimes Mouskeeping will put a pair of our sunglasses on a stuffed animal. I thought that was a nice touch in lieu of towel animals.

Wow are we really having to draw a line between towel animals with and without eyes? Good grief. I think that is the most silly thing I have seen on the Dis. Maybe I should start a poll....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter