• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

No threads on the airline decision??? Color me shocked?! (or unaware)

Pilot announcement at the beginning of Covid: Folks, we're all on the same team. We're in this together. So let's all be Patriots and keep those masks up- we will beat this thing!!!

Pilot announcement last week: look. I don't like it either. But I have to read this Godforsaken script for the 9 millionth time...

We are flying out on 5/7 and coming home on 5/14. I am already nervous about flight cancellations. My niece just had horrible flight experiences over spring break (not Disney) which doesn't help this uneasy feeling that I have. Now, I feel like if there is a spike in airline employee cases it seems we would be in the prime window for more worker shortages and more risk of cancellations. I hope I'm wrong about this. We are in Virginia. I'm really debating if driving would be more or less stressful that flying right now. Ugh. So looking forward to vacation...but not getting to and from. Why haven't we invented teleporting yet!

We are flying out on 5/7 and coming home on 5/14. I am already nervous about flight cancellations. My niece just had horrible flight experiences over spring break (not Disney) which doesn't help this uneasy feeling that I have. Now, I feel like if there is a spike in airline employee cases it seems we would be in the prime window for more worker shortages and more risk of cancellations. I hope I'm wrong about this. We are in Virginia. I'm really debating if driving would be more or less stressful that flying right now. Ugh. So looking forward to vacation...but not getting to and from. Why haven't we invented teleporting yet!
Same here. Flying out 5/7 and returning home 5/15. The moment I read the news I was immediately concerned with my flights being cancelled. I live in Maryland and the other people I'm going with are in New Jersey. I'm already trying to come up with a Plan B :/

I'm not even going to bother with a discussion on mask wearing. I'm still going to wear one at the airport and on a plane. I haven't gotten sick since the pandemic began so I'll wear it to at least avoid getting whatever sickness is going around (cold, flu, etc.)

I haven't gotten sick since the pandemic began so I'll wear it to at least avoid getting whatever sickness is going around (cold, flu, etc.)
"The principle is sound. To avoid illness, expose yourself to germs, enabling your immune system to develop antibodies. I don't know why everyone doesn't do this. Maybe they have something against living forever."

-Dwight K. Schrute

I too am waiting to hear more news on this. I also wonder about Mears or sunshine flyer

I was going to write a big response on this thread about why this decision by the federal judge is not the apocalypse (I am MD with training in immunology). Instead, I will just post this link from a colleague for your guys to watch.

He summarizes perfectly what is going on. Please watch it. if you are concerned about flying, just wear an N95 mask and make sure you get boosted. Cheers.

You have to remember the mask was not a magical barrier to transmission. Taking it away isn't going to make a massive spread. Not sure where this thought is coming from quite honestly. Help some? Sure. Help significantly? Nope. Covid will not run rampant throughout the industry overnight (or even over a week) now that masks are gone from flights.

Last edited:

Just adding to this that airports are also dropping their mandates. Denver Intl. has already removed theirs. Any word on MCO?

Well, Disney claimed the only reason they had a mandate on transportation was their transportation fell under the all public transportation umbrella. I understand that each entity can make their own decision and that this simply means they aren't required to require them now so we'll see what Disney does. They kept them indoors longer than most so they may well keep them on transportation longer too. Though public backlash is stronger now than it once was so really, I can see them going either way.
they were never required. Universal hasn't had them on their buses for almost a year now (except for the couple weeks around Christmas this year). Disney might get rid of them but I'm guessing they'll keep them for a bit.

You have to remember the mask was not a magical barrier to transmission. Taking it away isn't going to make a massive spread. Not sure where this thought is coming from quite honestly. Help some? Sure. Help significantly? Nope. Covid will not run rampant throughout the industry overnight (or even over a week) now that masks are gone from flights.
I have seen numerous articles regarding overseas flights in the UK that reported that within weeks of the mask mandates being lifted that cancellations increased due to staffing shortages caused by illness or positive cases. If these increased cancellations started in the UK within a few weeks of the mandate being lifted, then it stands to reason that the same could happen here with the combination of masks not being worn and this stealth omicron variant (or whatever is is called) supposedly on the rise. We are flying Southwest and there are limited flights out of the airport that we are using, so if our flight gets cancelled we have limited options. Which is why I'm looking at it through this lens and trying to think ahead some and develop alternate plans.

I was going to write a big response on this thread about why this decision by the federal judge is not the apocalypse (I am MD with training in immunology). Instead, I will just post this link from a colleague for your guys to watch.

He summarizes perfectly what is going on. Please watch it. if you are concerned about flying, just wear an N95 mask and make sure you get boosted. Cheers.

Just wanted to say this was a great video. I was worried it would be anti science or anti vax/fake news but he really provides common sense reason why we are in this place. Thanks for sharing.

I don't think you'll have any issues. The flight attendants won't be as stressed on flights now. The flight should be a lot more pleasant from now on.

"The principle is sound. To avoid illness, expose yourself to germs, enabling your immune system to develop antibodies. I don't know why everyone doesn't do this. Maybe they have something against living forever."

-Dwight K. Schrute
News flash, you are NOT going to live forever.

Love Vinay! Such good common sense and scientific thinking!

I'm relieved at the dropping of the mandate because I was getting very anxious at the thought of trying to keep my toddler son masked on our flight next Monday. This relieves some of my travel anxiety.

they were never required. Universal hasn't had them on their buses for almost a year now (except for the couple weeks around Christmas this year). Disney might get rid of them but I'm guessing they'll keep them for a bit.
However you want to put it, Disney requires them as of this moment. I wasn't aware we were discussing Universal buses. We stay at Hard Rock there, so we can walk. No buses needed.

I have seen numerous articles regarding overseas flights in the UK that reported that within weeks of the mask mandates being lifted that cancellations increased due to staffing shortages caused by illness or positive cases. If these increased cancellations started in the UK within a few weeks of the mandate being lifted, then it stands to reason that the same could happen here with the combination of masks not being worn and this stealth omicron variant (or whatever is is called) supposedly on the rise. We are flying Southwest and there are limited flights out of the airport that we are using, so if our flight gets cancelled we have limited options. Which is why I'm looking at it through this lens and trying to think ahead some and develop alternate plans.
Or staffing shortages caused by people not showing up for work and using it as an excuse. Because they were not suddenly exposed to germs one day when they weren't the day before.

You may find peace of mind if you look up services from Cranky Concierge.

However you want to put it, Disney requires them as of this moment. I wasn't aware we were discussing Universal buses. We stay at Hard Rock there, so we can walk. No buses needed.
I was just pointing out that Disney can do it's own thing. It was never a federal rule for their private buses/transportation.

I was just pointing out that Disney can do it's own thing. It was never a federal rule for their private buses/transportation.
Yeah, I know that, YOU know that. But evidently DISNEY does not know that. They claim their buses and monorail fall under the same federal rule as airplanes and other public transportation. I rolled my eyes at that but that was Disney's claim, not mine. That was my point.

@redboat45 @Mrs.AMC it is odd, we use charter buses for some events; no governtment transportation its 100% private but we were told that the Federal rules on masking applied - ok fine. But we board the second bus and driver is not masked and didn't care if anyone wore a mask. I still can't figure out why they said it was a requirement, but just has happy not to have to bother. Driver did have the two roof hatches cracked so plenty of fresh air away... but go figure why Disney and others thought it was a requirement. Even funnier was kids on School Buses didn't have to, yet on a private bus they do. Ugh.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter