November 2020

In Ohio, you have to get approval for a kid to miss school? Forgive my lack of knowledge on that subject. Is that related to Covid or is that a normal requirement?
Our district does it so that it counts as an excused absence. It's always been this way. We are allowed 5 vacation days excused and have never had a problem before, but the teachers have to approve in order to have the work made up. I'm sure it will be fine but just in the past few days there's been a couple positive cases in each of the schools (I have one is a 5/6 intermediate building and the other 7/8 junior high). DH mentioned just calling them off but then we would have to prove it wasn't COVID and it could possibly cause other students to be isolated at home too which obviously I could never do that unless they truly were sick.

Our district does it so that it counts as an excused absence. It's always been this way. We are allowed 5 vacation days excused and have never had a problem before, but the teachers have to approve in order to have the work made up. I'm sure it will be fine but just in the past few days there's been a couple positive cases in each of the schools (I have one is a 5/6 intermediate building and the other 7/8 junior high). DH mentioned just calling them off but then we would have to prove it wasn't COVID and it could possibly cause other students to be isolated at home too which obviously I could never do that unless they truly were sick.

We don't get excused absences in our SC district unless it is an educational trip or medical/dental with a doctor's note. I just wrote my kids a note to be out of school for two days for our trip... three days in a row and they give your child a truancy unless your principal forgives it on a case-by-case basis. They are all-virtual so no COVID/quarantine concerns upon returning home.

Nutty - if my children are doing well in school, and I want to take them on vacation not in the blazing hot summer, I am going to. My oldest son (4.0 high school gpa) has a Kindergarten truancy on his record because my parents surprised us with a week-long Disney vacation one January. That principal said she refused to forgive the absence for something like a vacation.

Leaving in ten days does anyone know where I can get the huge pink frosted donut with sprinkles on it. I can’t find it on navy menu checked allears not there either.

Leaving in ten days does anyone know where I can get the huge pink frosted donut with sprinkles on it. I can’t find it on navy menu checked allears not there either.

Edited - never mind I read something wrong. I remember DD got one in Tomorrowland but that was last fall so not sure now.

DD thinks these might be outside the Tower of Terror exit/gift shop at the cart (this would have been pre-covid she got one)

(I only remember seeing this type of donut at Universal, not at WDW)

We don't get excused absences in our SC district unless it is an educational trip or medical/dental with a doctor's note. I just wrote my kids a note to be out of school for two days for our trip... three days in a row and they give your child a truancy unless your principal forgives it on a case-by-case basis. They are all-virtual so no COVID/quarantine concerns upon returning home.

Nutty - if my children are doing well in school, and I want to take them on vacation not in the blazing hot summer, I am going to. My oldest son (4.0 high school gpa) has a Kindergarten truancy on his record because my parents surprised us with a week-long Disney vacation one January. That principal said she refused to forgive the absence for something like a vacation.

Our schools have truancy too. When I moved down to the DC area (Virginia) from NY, I went to some meeting at our new school for parents and I remember them introducing a truant officer (I seriously didn't think that was a thing anymore! lol).

Wow, that's a long time. I wonder how long ours stay on record? We've taken the kids out occasionally for trips and I never gave that a thought other than it was an unexcused absence.

Our schools have truancy too. When I moved down to the DC area (Virginia) from NY, I went to some meeting at our new school for parents and I remember them introducing a truant officer (I seriously didn't think that was a thing anymore! lol).

Wow, that's a long time. I wonder how long ours stay on record? We've taken the kids out occasionally for trips and I never gave that a thought other than it was an unexcused absence.

If it's a truancy, they make us sign a form acknowledging it. I asked what the consequence was, she said that he will have a truancy on his record until he graduates. Can't get into Yale because I took him to Disney... LOL - kidding, but I do think it's insane that a school district can tell you even if your child is a student in good standing, that you can not take them out of school for three days in a row. Principal has discretion- we, unfortunately, had a principal who did not want to spend "valuable time on making case-by-case exceptions." Will never forget that phrase... LOL

Thank you I hope we see one, I’m aware it’s like Simpson donut from universal 😀
Good luck!! :)
After I posted, she did find a pic of herself with (half of lol) one from January, it had white frosting.

If it's a truancy, they make us sign a form acknowledging it. I asked what the consequence was, she said that he will have a truancy on his record until he graduates. Can't get into Yale because I took him to Disney... LOL - kidding, but I do think it's insane that a school district can tell you even if your child is a student in good standing, that you can not take them out of school for three days in a row. Principal has discretion- we, unfortunately, had a principal who did not want to spend "valuable time on making case-by-case exceptions." Will never forget that phrase... LOL
It's so nuts! (and LOL at the phrase)
I once asked our elementary school, 5th or 6th grade it was, about getting work to bring with us (and I'm pretty sure I didn't mention Disney). Principal had put out a rule that teachers were not allowed to let kids receive schoolwork to bring with them during unexcused absences. :confused3

Good luck!! :)
After I posted, she did find a pic of herself with (half of lol) one from January, it had white frosting.

It's so nuts! (and LOL at the phrase)
I once asked our elementary school, 5th or 6th grade it was, about getting work to bring with us (and I'm pretty sure I didn't mention Disney). Principal had put out a rule that teachers were not allowed to let kids receive schoolwork to bring with them during unexcused absences. :confused3

Wouldn't want our kids to see anything new... or be responsible and try to keep up at the same time... LOL

I remembered seeing those at a Joffrey’s cart in Epcot last summer.

The kids ended up having no problems. I think sometimes I over worry! Teachers did ask them where they were headed and they both just said Florida to their Grandparents (which they do have a house down in the Keys so to completely off - and the grandparents will be with us on this trip). I don't think it would have matter and that I overthought. DD had one teacher give her a little trouble, and made sure to know that they would have regular work over the Thanksgiving weekend too and for DD to realize all work she is given will be due the day she returns if she wants it counted for her grade. I have discussed possibly keeping her home and extra day if she needs to finish things but we will see. Hopefully it won't be anything too crazy.

So now I can get excited that in just about 2 1/2 weeks we will be on our way!! Things are slowly falling in place. It took me so long even to write this trip on our calendar after having so many things crossed off this year so in a way feels like I won't believe it until we are there

On the school topic: Thanks everyone for some input. It's interesting to see how things are handle in various parts of the country. I grew up in Delaware, but have lived in Oklahoma for 20 years now. The differences from East Coast vs Mid-West are abundant. The first time I took my kids out of school for Disney was in 2011 (they were 5,5,3,1) - clearly the 3yr old was in pre-school....irrelevant. But I did receive nasty letters in the mail because 1 of my daughters was sick for nearly 2 weeks that same school year. I didn't file a Dr. note, so the nastygrams were because she had more than 10 unexcused absences in a year. It was frustrating to be threatened with DHS etc. But in the end the school did nothing and there is no "on file" record traveling with her (like @lorileahb ).

I appreciate any parents choice; but I also understand the intent of making sure kids go to school. For my family, my kids do well in school; so I feel I only have "18 years" of them as a kid, so I personally am going to optimize my time with them. I remind them all the time, you'll always remember the "events" in life; so make the most of that time.

Can any of this make Nov 21 come faster?? :snail:

pretty sure those were Joffrey's donuts - but I'm not sure they're still on offer.

(old pic but you can see the donuts there. they were at almost all of the joffrey's kiosks in the park if i remember correctly from Dec. 2019)

I wonder if there is any chance they re-instate what we canceled when we picked up new ones... I canceled a 750 CRT to get a different time... now I won't have CRT at all and we go next week. Bums me out because that was the one thing I wanted to do with my youngest two on this trip.
I hope so. It would seem Disney could simply roll back if they remedied it immediately after the glitch (guessing too late now since it would likely mess everyone over the last few days up for the next 60+ days).

Is yours close to the original time? Keeping fingers crossed for you!!

Mine are very close to the original times I had and I mainly reduced the # of people on those two reservations, they are only 5 and 20 minutes time difference from the originals. I was *this close* to shifting our H&V reservation but didn't as I was indecisive- it's DD's birthday dinner so that would have been a big disappointment. I

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter