Oasis of the Seas Accident today in Dry Dock in Grand Bahama

56301818_332058767664945_4249720073234677760_n.thumb.jpg.25367a0a53d9950c235a66f6f17087de.jpg

Here's the crane that landed on the aqua theater. From what I gathered looking around basically the whole dock it was attached to slipped and bent in. Considering they already had started work the ship itself probably fell a bit, and the equipment under the boat was probably partially dismantled when this happened.

This doesn't seem like a quick fix, and there's no proper "dry" dock large enough to handle this outside of maybe Newport News on the east coast. So they'll probably have to take this to Europe to get fixed, if they can get it limping along enough. Way too early to say at this point.

The stage, seating, and screen damage is fixable, although those platforms they use in the water probably got damaged too. The big deal Depends on how much underwater damage to the azipods and propellers happened. From this and some of the other shots showing it listing a bit to the side with the damage, it doesn't look good considering it looks like the dock and coffer dams collapsed. Expect cancelled cruises at least the next few weeks :(.

Last edited:

Actually that doesn't look terrible to me. I can't see why this would take any specialized equipment to fix assuming they have another crane available. It looks like its just the boom of the failed crane laying across the open deck where the aqua theater is. Cut it up, lift it off and carry on with the work.

Here's an image of the ship listing to the side. From what reports are saying, the dock underneath the ship gave way and the crane then fell. The big question probably isn't the crane, but rather what damage may be to the underside of the ship, especially if it dropped on to the docking that gave way.

Oasis-of-the-seas-accident-800x565.jpg

Yeah the problem is you never know. The ship pic reminds me of my car when It got totalled while parked on the road. Some guy side swiped it at full speed. from the outside the car looked relatively OK. My car was like shifted to the side and the tires on one side looked like a sprained ankle Underneath the axle was split.

Here's a shot showing the azipods from a proper euro drydock years ago. (they sail the ship in close off a wall, set up columns for the ship to rest on underwater then pump the water out.

The point of the current stop was to fix/repair these guys so that it could be safe for the transatlantic crossing when the Harmony takes over in Port Canaveral.
d4b5a54dba0a702aca24cdb4bed4d6e2.jpg

The drydock in the Bahamas isn't large enough for the Oasis, so they just create 3 mini ones that they sink under then lift up around the azipods (Big propeller looking things in the photo). Then pump out the water within them, the problem is the ones on the right and the dock adjacent to it completely collapsed after they had pumped them out and started some work. So the right one or two is probably damaged. These things are so big if it is damaged then they are going to have to get extremely creative on a possible fix, even if it isn't it'll take them a while just to cut up the collapsed structures so it could even get out. These things can also rotate around to steer the ship, that part of it also could be broken and the propellers themselves may be bent up.

Here's a shot showing the azipods from a proper euro drydock years ago. (they sail the ship in close off a wall, set up columns for the ship to rest on underwater then pump the water out.

The point of the current stop was to fix/repair these guys so that it could be safe for the transatlantic crossing when the Harmony takes over in Port Canaveral.
d4b5a54dba0a702aca24cdb4bed4d6e2.jpg

The drydock in the Bahamas isn't large enough for the Oasis, so they just create 3 mini ones that they sink under then lift up around the azipods (Big propeller looking things in the photo). Then pump out the water within them, the problem is the ones on the right and the dock adjacent to it completely collapsed after they had pumped them out and started some work. So the right one or two is probably damaged. These things are so big if it is damaged then they are going to have to get extremely creative on a possible fix, even if it isn't it'll take them a while just to cut up the collapsed structures so it could even get out. These things can also rotate around to steer the ship, that part of it also could be broken and the propellers themselves may be bent up.

Oasis was not dry docked when this happened. James Van Fleet, the Chief Meteorologist on board the Oasis, posted a video showing she wasn't dry docked. According to AIS she was and still is in about 9.3 meters of water (30 feet) (her draught is 31 feet). It appears she is listing only because of the large crane that is resting on her side.

I would not expect any major damage to the Azipods.

If you look on CC, there is one photo showing the some balcony railings on cabins are broken and they also said the glass rails on the top deck were broken on that side. I have never been on her so I'm fuzzy on the terminology. But CC has more photos; scroll past the nastiness that inevitably develops over there.

Its wasnt a true dry dock, more of a wet dock so I dont know if that will make things better or worse.
She was getting the azipods fixed so she could make it to Europe....
I know they've moved the crew off the ship and to hotels to be safe, so there must be some decent concerns...

Its wasnt a true dry dock, more of a wet dock so I dont know if that will make things better or worse.
She was getting the azipods fixed so she could make it to Europe....
I know they've moved the crew off the ship and to hotels to be safe, so there must be some decent concerns...
Well I am sure you don't want the crew on the ship when you are trying to remove a fallen crane boom. I am sure it was more precautionary than necessary. I have looked at all the photos and it appears the only real damage is to a balcony at the Rock Climbing wall and a few broken glass railings. She was also only in their for minor maintenance for a bearing on the Azipod, not anything critical or immediately necessary. The ship was fully booked for April 7th cruising to the Eastern Caribbean. I am certain that RCCL would rather close a few areas of the ship then lose money on a fully booked cruise. That may also be why there is such a delay in getting the word out.

Could that be because the engine/generators are shutdown as part of the work being done? That would leave the ship without power making crew accommodations unusable.

Could that be because the engine/generators are shutdown as part of the work being done? That would leave the ship without power making crew accommodations unusable.

Usually crew stay on for dry dock. Yes you lose power and water regularly and it's so hot with no air con, but it's part of the 'fun'. I've done 2 now (one major, almost 2 months, and one minor, 1 week, both in freeport)...normally in dry dock they're using guest dining rooms and galleys. Some people love dry dock. I am not one of those people Haha!

Apparently the cruises on the 7th, 14th, and 21st are cancelled. Sites are reporting that guests are being refunded plus an offer of a cruise certificate up to the value of what one paid for the cancelled cruise. 7th and 14th were Caribbean cruises, 21st was the Transatlantic...

From another site, the Transatlantic has been cancelled:

From RCCL:

Royal Caribbean

ABOUT YOUR UPCOMING TRAVELS

Dear Guest,

Yesterday, while undergoing repairs to the propulsion system in the Grand Bahama shipyard, there was an issue in the dry dock structure that caused considerable damage to the facility that will prevent us from completing the work on Oasis of the Seas. The incident also caused a construction crane to fall onto the ship resulting in damage to the Aqua Theatre and some suites. We are very grateful that there were no life-threatening injuries and everyone is recovering, as the safety of our crew and guests is always our number one priority.

Given the situation and our need to complete the scheduled maintenance, we now must reposition the ship to Cadiz, Spain which is the only facility with immediate availability for a ship her size. We are sad to share that as a result, we are forced to cancel our April 21st cruise, as we work to get the ship repaired.

We know this news is disappointing and we’re terribly sorry for the impact to your vacation. We understand a lot of time goes into planning and coordinating your cruise vacation. Therefore, we’ll provide you with the following:

You’ll receive a full refund to your original form of payment, including any non-refundable deposits by Monday, April 15th, 2019. Times may vary depending on your financial institution.
All pre-paid amenities, packages, and shore excursions will be refunded to your original form of payment within 7 - 10 business days.
Plus, if you reserved your air with our Air2Sea Program, we’ll provide you with a refund. If you didn’t book your air with us, we’ll reimburse you for non-refundable airline change fees (up to $200 per guest for Domestic flights and up to $400 per guest for International flights). Please email us your receipts to RoyalGuestRelations@rccl.com.
Given this late cancellation, we will also provide you with a Future Cruise Credit valued at 100% of your cruise fare paid on your cancelled sailing. You can expect to receive your Future Cruise Credit via email by Friday, April 5th, 2019. We hope you’ll come and experience everything that we have to offer at a later time.
If you have any questions or need assistance with finding a new cruise, please contact your Travel Advisor or your local Royal Caribbean International office.

Thank you for understanding. We hope we have the opportunity to welcome you onboard in the near future!

Sincerely,

Image did not load.

Here are some helpful answers to questions you may have.

Why is my sailing being cancelled?

Your sailing is being cancelled because unfortunately, a construction crane fell onto Oasis of the Seas and we now need additional time for these unforeseen repairs. We are terribly sorry. We know this is disappointing. Your safety, and that of our crew, is our number one priority and we need to ensure the ship is seaworthy. We do hope you find an alternate vacation option with us.

How much am I getting back because of this cancellation?

We understand that this cancellation was made last minute because of this unforeseeable circumstance, so we are providing you:

A full refund of your cruise fare paid to the original form of payment. You should see this post to your account by April 15th, 2019.
A full refund of all pre-booked Cruise Planner items to the card on file. These refunds will take about 7-10 days to post to your account.
Future Cruise Certificates in the value of 100% of your cruise fare paid. These will be available for use by Friday, April 5th, 2019.
And, if you booked your air with us through our Air2Sea Program, we will provide you with a full refund for your air.
If you didn’t book your air with us, we’ll reimburse you for non-refundable airlines change fees (up to $200 per guest for Domestic flights and up to $400 per guest for International flights).
What if my reservation had FCC’s applied?

Your refund will be issued for the full value of the Cruisefare paid.

What if I booked a shore excursion?

All pre-booked shore excursions will be refunded to the original form of payment within 7- 10 business days.

What if I booked through the non-refundable program?

You will receive a full refund of your deposit, including the non-refundable program service fee.

What about my Crown & Anchor points. Will I receive all my CAS points?

Unfortunately, since the sailing was cancelled, no Crown & Anchor points will be awarded to anyone. We truly apologize for this inconvenience.

Where/how can I send my air receipts for reimbursement?

Please submit your air change receipts via email to RoyalGuestRelations@rccl.com.

Will you be refunding my Royal Caribbean Travel Protection?

We will be withholding the amount of Royal Caribbean Travel Protection, so our guests can file claims for any additional travel costs that are not covered by our compensation.

How was my refund calculated?

All monies paid to Royal Caribbean are being refunded – with the exception of Travel Protection. Please keep in mind that if you used multiple forms of payment for your cruise, each corresponding amount will be refunded to each form of payment.

I have more questions, where can I call?

Please contact your Travel Advisor.

How do I redeem my Future Cruise Credit?

Please contact your Travel Advisor directly to redeem your Future Cruise Credit. Your Future Cruise Credit is redeemable towards cruise fare only and is not valid on Complimentary cruises, Incentive bookings, or Charter sailings. All guests are responsible for taxes and fees where applicable.

Thanks! Fortunately, we were able to secure a Disney Dream 4 day to replace this one. Not quite the same - going from a 7 day balcony room to a 4 day interior room but at least we still get to cruise for Spring Break. The kids are excited about the AquaDuck so they are not too disappointed with the change.

Good! So glad you can still go on vacation. I'm sure you're going to have fun regardless of the change of plans. Happy cruising! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter