Official 2012 Princess Half Marathon Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks! I looked them up on Amazon. I am hoping getting the energy from honey will mean they also don't have that upset tummy feeling. Ive been just using fruit snack or gummy bears as clif blocks made my stomach feel queasy.

There's nothing wrong with using fruit snacks or gummy bears. One of the girls in my group had tummy issues with almost any gels, blocks, etc., and has great success with gummy bears. Sugar is sugar!

If you are having issues with cramps or finger swelling, I recommend trying salt tablets like Endurolyte or Succeed. It's not quite as important in the winter but definitely in the summer.

Personally, I can't stand gummy bears but that isn't a running thing! :laughing:

So I been sick this week. Was not able to run on Thursday. Today I did my long run 7 miles. I had fever, no water, nausea and 50 degree outside but i finished the run in 1:45. My knees hurt and I feel really bad but Im ready for this.:thumbsup2

Congrats on pushing through. I am scheduled to do 7 this morning and your post has me inspired. I will think how you pushed and hopefully get my 7. My longest yet.

On the topic is using candy as fuel, I've run several races where they hand out some gummy bears in cups, but I've run about 3 races now that have offered Jolly ranchers as well. I've never grabbed them, but I am always confused by those being offered as fuel. Has anyone else ever seen this? I know it's a lot of sugar in a small serving, but I'd be terrified I'd accidentally swallow the thing and start choking while I'm running...

I ran 7 miles this morning. My pace was 13:56 minute mile. I'm very happy with that pace. That should leave me enough time for pics. :)

I ran 7 miles this morning. My pace was 13:56 minute mile. I'm very happy with that pace. That should leave me enough time for pics. :)

Congrats!!!!:cheer2: Your pace is right around what I'm aiming for too. I really want to be able to enjoy the experience there. I did my 7 miles last night. Not one of my better runs. Due to freezing fog here in Oregon I did it all on the treadmill. At least I got it done. Glad I've had good and great runs previously otherwise I'd be in a panic. Every time I do training on the treadmill it just kicks my butt. Not sure why pounding the pavement seems so much easier to me. In fact when I did my 6 miles I felt so good I didn't want to stop. I so much prefer being outside. At any rate glad to hear all of us Princesses are training hard and safe. princess:

Ran the 10k of the Marathon of the Palm Beaches today. It was omg windy...25 mph most of the way. My time was still okay. I crossed the line at 1:29, but I was in the back for the start I am thinking that will be more like 1:27 when I get my official time. So now the question...do I bother to submit it? I put 2:59 as my estimated finish (just in case 3 hours is a cut off). I think this is still a good estimate. With the wind slowing me down a bit, the calculators put my estimated finish around 3:10 or so for this 10k. What do you think?

Same with me. Running solo, but traveling with DH. We're leaving the kids at home.:goodvibes

I'm running solo too. princess:I'm OK with the running solo part, I just want my DH there during and after the race. :lovestruc Originally DH was traveling with me,but just found out he might not make it until the evening just before the race. His college classes are a mess Winter term. Still holding out hope he can get there on Friday night and won't have to leave until Monday evening. I really want to have Sunday evening to celebrate with him. He has been such a support to me during my training,( nearly 2 years when all said and done). :cheer2:

Hey all you Princess Half Marathon participators,
Anyone heard of a meet and greet at AKL? I might be there by myself and thought it might be nice to meet other fellow princesses. A quick hi and a bit of comradery.

Ran the 10k of the Marathon of the Palm Beaches today. It was omg windy...25 mph most of the way. My time was still okay. I crossed the line at 1:29, but I was in the back for the start I am thinking that will be more like 1:27 when I get my official time. So now the question...do I bother to submit it? I put 2:59 as my estimated finish (just in case 3 hours is a cut off). I think this is still a good estimate. With the wind slowing me down a bit, the calculators put my estimated finish around 3:10 or so for this 10k. What do you think?

great job! I rode this am in Miami and it was def a windy am, that is for sure. I don't believe you need proof of time for anything over 2:45 (unless they changed it) so I would just let it be

great job! I rode this am in Miami and it was def a windy am, that is for sure. I don't believe you need proof of time for anything over 2:45 (unless they changed it) so I would just let it be

I know I don't need to submit it, but some have suggested that turning in a time can help even if it is more than 2:45...my official time was 1:26:55 for 13:59 pace. For some reason 13:59 feels better than 14:00 :)

Hi all. I ran my 7 today but was truly dissapointed in my time. Knee pain (which I think is IT band syndrome) limited my performance. I am going to repeat my 7 next weekend unless my knee is still aggrevated. I was so mad at myself I screwed up my adrenalin rush. I actually should have been so proud and happy at my longest run but I had to walk so much I got mad at myself. Oh well. Dreaming of a happy long run next weekend. Good news is my cardio status and muscular endurance could have last another 2-3 miles! I am really loving this Jeff Galloway guy! It really works. Thanks to other Dis Princesses for thier advice on the foam roller. Am going to order one this week. I think Tabetha said Amazon has 'em. I am also going to start some piriformis massage and calf stretching as this may contribute to ITBS.

One question: does anyone know if there is a nice iphone holder (adapter) for use on running belts? I am using the "Nathan" style running belt. Arm bands tend to slide down on me.

Well 7 miles done today in 1:30!! Really don't realize how the wind can effect a run until your trying to run against it, it didn't slow me down (mentally) any, longest run yet :) I couldn't believe how well I did considering I didn't run all week. It was really starting to bring me down but I had great time so I'm pretty overall happy. I'm also staying at Port Orleans Riverside if you guys decide to do a meet up I'm in!

Hey all you Princess Half Marathon participators,
Anyone heard of a meet and greet at AKL? I might be there by myself and thought it might be nice to meet other fellow princesses. A quick hi and a bit of comradery.

We'll be there as well. Maybe we can make an official time for everyone at AKL to meet sometime closer to the race weekend.

We'll be there as well. Maybe we can make an official time for everyone at AKL to meet sometime closer to the race weekend.

I would love that. I'm getting in late on Wednesday the 22nd. I would like to be there right when the expo opens in Friday am. Eager to meet everyone.

I would love that. I'm getting in late on Wednesday the 22nd. I would like to be there right when the expo opens in Friday am. Eager to meet everyone.

We're arriving Friday around noon, and staying through monday. Maybe we can arrange a meet in the lobby sometime friday or saturday with everyone, or even all meet on Sunday morning and take the bus to the start together!

Congrats!!!!:cheer2: Your pace is right around what I'm aiming for too. I really want to be able to enjoy the experience there. I did my 7 miles last night. Not one of my better runs. Due to freezing fog here in Oregon I did it all on the treadmill. At least I got it done. Glad I've had good and great runs previously otherwise I'd be in a panic. Every time I do training on the treadmill it just kicks my butt. Not sure why pounding the pavement seems so much easier to me. In fact when I did my 6 miles I felt so good I didn't want to stop. I so much prefer being outside. At any rate glad to hear all of us Princesses are training hard and safe. princess:

I am the opposite - I train on the treadmill during the week and on weekends hit the pavement. I need to spend more time outside....yesterday I thought I would try the "run in the morning and get it out of the way", so I had my coffee and went out.....I walked more than I ran :confused: I am not a morning person, but I still can't believe how bad my run was yesterday. Next weekend I will try to run a little later - have breakfast, wait an hour and then go out.

I am the opposite - I train on the treadmill during the week and on weekends hit the pavement. I need to spend more time outside....yesterday I thought I would try the "run in the morning and get it out of the way", so I had my coffee and went out.....I walked more than I ran :confused: I am not a morning person, but I still can't believe how bad my run was yesterday. Next weekend I will try to run a little later - have breakfast, wait an hour and then go out.

It takes a little while to get fueling into a good balance if you're doing early morning runs. I like having a handful of dry cereal or a banana and a bit of coffee if I'm going straight out and running more than about 3 or 4 miles. Less than that I can go on an empty stomach. I do have to be careful about what I eat if I don't want my digestive system to rebel within about a mile or so (I've learned THAT lesson - nothing too high fiber!! :scared1:).

Due to various issues and a semi-serious injury that DH received this weekend, I didn't get my run in. It's only a 4 mile long run last weekend according to Galloway so I'm not too worried, but this week is looking BAD with meetings in terms of doing my midweek runs. And the mornings in Iowa are just so cold that getting up at 5:30 is an awful prospect! Here's hoping I'll find a way to get them in.... then to figure out how to do 8 miles next weekend in between DD's Nutcracker and show choir performances and in-laws coming in from out of town!

It sounds like everyone is doing so well - even those struggling with different issues are pushing through. I had my best long run ever - just over 7 miles - however, I am still struggling with pace - my pace was right at 17mm - which if what JG says is true - training pace 3 minutes slower than race pace - I guess I will still be fine but I worry.

However, I felt great no knee pain in fact no pain at all!! I tried my first GU gel things and while I did feel a burst of energy (maybe just mental) I also felt a little stomach upset so I may try the Honey Chews. All this is so new to me I appreciate all the advice.

I too will definitley be running solo and may be completely solo. I will definitely be at the back of the pack but I would love to give cheers and hugs to everyone. I hope we can arrange a meet-up and cheer each other on.
Martha

We're arriving Friday around noon, and staying through monday. Maybe we can arrange a meet in the lobby sometime friday or saturday with everyone, or even all meet on Sunday morning and take the bus to the start together!

I think a brief Friday meet would be nice. The Sunday meet and get the bus together is a fabulous idea. I'm giddy with excitement about how close it finally is. Keep going all you fellow Princesses !!!princess:

For those of us in colder weather remember to do some warm weather training 4-6 weeks before the event. It can help you handle the temperature difference better. All of my mid week training is in a heated room at 75 degrees.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter