Official 2012 Princess Half Marathon Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have experience with dieting during training? I'm starting a low fat diet to hopefully help shed some of the unwanted weight I've gained during this last semester. I'm not trying to lose anything drastic, but simply running isn't cutting it for me. I need to be able to fit back into my winter clothes from last year comfortably so I don't have to buy new ones. I've heard it's hard to lose weight on a training plan, any advice from those that have done it would be greatly appreciated!

I lost about 35 pounds on the new weight watchers, and I really recommend it. Fruits and vegetables are free point wise, so before and after runs, I tend to eat a lot of bananas, carrots, and apples for fuel. They also have you log activity points, so you do get to eat some extra points for running, but since you have to log it all, you are not inclined to over eat.

I found before WW, I would say "oh well, I exercised today, so I can eat whatever!" and scarf down half a pizza or a whole order of nachos. Now I know, okay, well I can have one scoop of icecream since I have an extra 5 activity points, but I can't have an entire chocolate milkshake.

I tried a lot of things before WW, but it really worked for me, mostly because of the balance of it. I could still go to Dunkin Donuts (just get an egg white english muffin instead of a bagel), still go out with my Cheesecake Factory obsessed friends (just make sure to save up all my extra points before going!), and still go to Taco Bell when my schedule is crazy (fresco menu!).

Yup, that was me!!

I was able for 2 months to successfully eat very low carb (under 20 per day), not fuel my runs (up to 16 miles), and be fine, including a half marathon finished in under 3 hours. I lost almost 25 lbs, and have kept it off. I went back to eating carbs and didn't lose any more, and am actually back on low carb as of this week to try and mitigate any Christmas week gain.

However, I am over 200 lbs, still have 40 lbs to lose, do run/walk and am far from elite!

As an aside (feel free to skip), I am proof that Galloway works. I was one of the pace leaders for the 12:30 group for my Galloway training program. We started in May, training at 14:30 for long runs, allowing 30 seconds more for every 5 degrees over 60, and maxing at 15:30-16 for the really really hot NC summer days. I also did his 30 min twice a week recommended short runs, running at least one at a "race pace" speed and/or as fast as I could.

My PR half marathon on Nov 13th was 2:44, and exactly a 12:30 pace for 13.19 miles.

Kat, I just want to tell you that you are an inspiration! Really amazing with your running.

I'm scheduled to run 10 miles Saturday and it's a bit daunting. I know I've heard people say "one mile at a time" and other things, but I can't help it :headache: I've never run double digits during a single run in my life.

Kat, I just want to tell you that you are an inspiration! Really amazing with your running.

Thanks!!! Mostly I feel fat and slow, and I had a really bad day today, so this is a bright spot. :goodvibes

Also, I forgot to say, I subtract fiber carbs, so most veggies are allowed. I also only stuck to that extreme for 2 months and then relaxed for a few months and maintained, with low calorie on the weekdays and splurging on the weekends).

I have heard and read really good things about WW, too.

speaking of cross training...does anyone have a favorite quick-and-easy weight routine they want to share? i'm so bad at getting my weights in (mainly because i hate doing them) but i really must start to make a better effort with them.

Yup, that was me!!

I was able for 2 months to successfully eat very low carb (under 20 per day), not fuel my runs (up to 16 miles), and be fine, including a half marathon finished in under 3 hours. I lost almost 25 lbs, and have kept it off. I went back to eating carbs and didn't lose any more, and am actually back on low carb as of this week to try and mitigate any Christmas week gain.

However, I am over 200 lbs, still have 40 lbs to lose, do run/walk and am far from elite!

As an aside (feel free to skip), I am proof that Galloway works. I was one of the pace leaders for the 12:30 group for my Galloway training program. We started in May, training at 14:30 for long runs, allowing 30 seconds more for every 5 degrees over 60, and maxing at 15:30-16 for the really really hot NC summer days. I also did his 30 min twice a week recommended short runs, running at least one at a "race pace" speed and/or as fast as I could.

My PR half marathon on Nov 13th was 2:44, and exactly a 12:30 pace for 13.19 miles.

That is awesome! Great job :thumbsup2

speaking of cross training...does anyone have a favorite quick-and-easy weight routine they want to share? i'm so bad at getting my weights in (mainly because i hate doing them) but i really must start to make a better effort with them.

This is me. I so enjoy my running, and really find strength training boring.

This month's edition of oxygen magazine has 2 really good sections on strength training. I would highly recommend them both. Of course it will take longer the first few times you do it because you have to keep looking in the magazine for the next step but then it should get quicker. HTH

I hope this is not too much information anyone not interested in weight loss should just skip – According to Jeff Galloway’s book and I am greatly summarizing he recommends two things:

1) the output – run less often ( 3 days a week maximum) but longer- try for short runs that are 45 minutes and at least one run a week that is 90 minutes. You are such an amazing and inspiring runner I am not sure how this relates to what you do but that is his recommendation.
2) The income side - Protein between 15% and 25%, Fat between 15% and 25%, Carbohydrate whatever is left – hopefully in Complex carbohydrates. Other recommendations include making no food forbidden, eating small meals more often and increasing fiber. He says he recommends weight loss web sites on his web site.
I have recently lost 45 pounds still have a ways to go I’m at 185 – I do notice that since I have been running my weight loss has slowed but is steadier and my clothes are much smaller so I think more muscle and less fat.

I know this is a hard journey but you show such dedication in your running I think if you take it slowly you will see the results.

Martha
Thanks for the info from Jeff's book. I have it somewhere, I'll have to pull it out and actually read the diet section.

I lost about 35 pounds on the new weight watchers, and I really recommend it. Fruits and vegetables are free point wise, so before and after runs, I tend to eat a lot of bananas, carrots, and apples for fuel. They also have you log activity points, so you do get to eat some extra points for running, but since you have to log it all, you are not inclined to over eat.

I found before WW, I would say "oh well, I exercised today, so I can eat whatever!" and scarf down half a pizza or a whole order of nachos. Now I know, okay, well I can have one scoop of icecream since I have an extra 5 activity points, but I can't have an entire chocolate milkshake.

I tried a lot of things before WW, but it really worked for me, mostly because of the balance of it. I could still go to Dunkin Donuts (just get an egg white english muffin instead of a bagel), still go out with my Cheesecake Factory obsessed friends (just make sure to save up all my extra points before going!), and still go to Taco Bell when my schedule is crazy (fresco menu!).

I've always heard good things about WW. I don't really have time for the meetings, and whenever I look into doing it online I start looking around the website and decide I can diet on my own to save some money. I think I might bite the bullet and try it if I don't start seeing some results in the next month of so. I do like the freedom to eat what you crave in small portions without feeling guilty.

Hey guys! This thread's grown to monster proportions (okay, not MONSTER, but way past the 250 page mark we try to limit them to for software performance reasons.)

Time to close this one, but please start a new one to keep the party rolling!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter