Official 2012 Princess Half Marathon Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have experience with dieting during training? I'm starting a low fat diet to hopefully help shed some of the unwanted weight I've gained during this last semester. I'm not trying to lose anything drastic, but simply running isn't cutting it for me. I need to be able to fit back into my winter clothes from last year comfortably so I don't have to buy new ones. I've heard it's hard to lose weight on a training plan, any advice from those that have done it would be greatly appreciated!

I've been using My Fitness Pal since January and have lost 34 pounds. I've found it more difficult to lose since I started C25K in April. I've hit 2 plateaus since then for about 6-8 weeks each. I highly recommend My Fitness Pal - it's easy and free!

I was reading on FB that someone posted on a treadmill you should train at 4% incline - is that true? I am gradually increasing my incline, but am not at 4%. What does everybody train at?

I was reading on FB that someone posted on a treadmill you should train at 4% incline - is that true? I am gradually increasing my incline, but am not at 4%. What does everybody train at?

I keep mine at 2.5%...I thought that was what I read.

I keep mine at 2.5%...I thought that was what I read.

OK - must of still been half asleep when I read it this morning :goodvibes

Also - I usually pop in a movie to watch and I find the distraction really helps me get through those tougher moments - but when I run outside, I need something to "distract" me at those time - and my iPod is not cutting it - any thoughts? Should I stop watching movies and just concentrate on the running?

Posted this morning - the Princess is 74% full, so if you are on the fence (or know someone who is), it's time to remove the fencepost!!! :rotfl:

Oh - and had to laugh - today is St. Nicholas Day and we always open stockings today instead of Christmas. St. Nick brought me a pack of socks and a new sportsbra because "he" said my other one was looking funky (which it is, I admit). Trying to decide if I'm more upset that he bought me the XS or that it looks like it would fit! *sigh* Let's just say that I do have a "runner's build".:laughing:

0%. The incline is based on the idea that running on a treadmill is easier - no wind resistance, treadmill doing part of the work, etc. I think it was Noakes (in "The Lore of Running") who touched on it, and basically said that, for most runners, setting the treadmill at 0% was fine - most of us aren't moving fast enough for wind resistance to be an issue.

I can't imagine how much a constant 4% climb would hurt for 8 or 10 miles. :eek:

0%. The incline is based on the idea that running on a treadmill is easier - no wind resistance, treadmill doing part of the work, etc. I think it was Noakes (in "The Lore of Running") who touched on it, and basically said that, for most runners, setting the treadmill at 0% was fine - most of us aren't moving fast enough for wind resistance to be an issue.

I can't imagine how much a constant 4% climb would hurt for 8 or 10 miles. :eek:

I have mine at .5%, because the TM repairperson told me the non-commercial treadmills aren't meant to be set at 0%, and this extends the life of my TM. It's also a level I can handle. At 4%, I think I'd last 10 minutes, maybe :eek:

Maria

Also - I usually pop in a movie to watch and I find the distraction really helps me get through those tougher moments - but when I run outside, I need something to "distract" me at those time - and my iPod is not cutting it - any thoughts? Should I stop watching movies and just concentrate on the running?

Funny, I find it very dull and difficult to run inside and even a movie doesn't help distract me. I find the the experience of being outside and seeing people and the trees ect.. help me run much better..

A runner friend told me 2% was the magic number but I'm with y'all, 1% is bout all i can do!

If I run with more than a 1.5% incline on my treadmill, I get massive pain in my lower legs. Not in the shins, but on the outer side of my left leg.

Anyone have experience with dieting during training? I'm starting a low fat diet to hopefully help shed some of the unwanted weight I've gained during this last semester. I'm not trying to lose anything drastic, but simply running isn't cutting it for me. I need to be able to fit back into my winter clothes from last year comfortably so I don't have to buy new ones. I've heard it's hard to lose weight on a training plan, any advice from those that have done it would be greatly appreciated!

I see there are few responses to your request....that's because unless you have a lot to lose its very very hard to find that balance of enough carbs to keep you from collapsing during run and losing weight ..... I only have that last 10-12 too and it just hangs on for dear life. One other girl on here (kat I think? Sorry if not you!) said she does not fuel her runs and still cuts carbs, that we don't need as much as most of us think we do....that has helped me tremendously to not over eat carbs, and make them count when I do (no empty carbs like candy, soda, ice cream uggggg). If others have more suggestions, certainly open!

I think it was runners world that had a little blurb about what the incline on your TM needs to be. Basically, unless you are an elite athlete, you don't need to set any incline on your TM when you run.

I see there are few responses to your request....that's because unless you have a lot to lose its very very hard to find that balance of enough carbs to keep you from collapsing during run and losing weight ..... I only have that last 10-12 too and it just hangs on for dear life. One other girl on here (kat I think? Sorry if not you!) said she does not fuel her runs and still cuts carbs, that we don't need as much as most of us think we do....that has helped me tremendously to not over eat carbs, and make them count when I do (no empty carbs like candy, soda, ice cream uggggg). If others have more suggestions, certainly open!
I'm horrible about eating too much before and after I run because I've "earned" it. Hopefully cutting some of that eating out will help.

well...here's the way i see it. in order to lose weight, you need to burn more calories than you take in. in order for you to run efficiently, your body needs to be properly fueled (ever try to do a speed session on a major calorie deficit? it sucks!) obviously those two are in direct conflict with each other

in order to lose a lb a week, you need to burn 500 calories more than you take in, since 1 lb = 3500 calories. I would try to start even smaller than that...maybe cutting 200 calories/day, and see how your body reacts. you won't be winning any biggest loser awards, but hopefully you can find the sweet spot between creating a calorie deficit but still being fueled enough to train properly

Another thing to keep in mind too is the type of exercise you are doing. If you want to be a better runner, you have to run. I think most will find it more beneficial to their race times by taking out XC days and making them running days. However from a pure weight-loss standpoint, I think mixing it up is more beneficial to you since your body does get more efficient when it does the same type of exercise over and over again, so you burn less calories. Again...you need to find what works for you

Good luck! It's really tough to balance the two. I put on about 5 lbs since training for my first marathon, and I've never been able to get rid of them since. Since I was technically underweight before I've considered it just the cost of doing business with these endurance sports. (my thighs are so huge now too!) but it is something I am trying to be aware of. After all, 5 lbs a year unchecked can add up really fast!

Yup, that was me!!

I was able for 2 months to successfully eat very low carb (under 20 per day), not fuel my runs (up to 16 miles), and be fine, including a half marathon finished in under 3 hours. I lost almost 25 lbs, and have kept it off. I went back to eating carbs and didn't lose any more, and am actually back on low carb as of this week to try and mitigate any Christmas week gain.

However, I am over 200 lbs, still have 40 lbs to lose, do run/walk and am far from elite!

As an aside (feel free to skip), I am proof that Galloway works. I was one of the pace leaders for the 12:30 group for my Galloway training program. We started in May, training at 14:30 for long runs, allowing 30 seconds more for every 5 degrees over 60, and maxing at 15:30-16 for the really really hot NC summer days. I also did his 30 min twice a week recommended short runs, running at least one at a "race pace" speed and/or as fast as I could.

My PR half marathon on Nov 13th was 2:44, and exactly a 12:30 pace for 13.19 miles.

i wouldn't be so hung up on carbs and more of your general calorie intake for the day in terms of weight loss. if all i ate was a giant bowl of white refined pasta for the day with tomato sauce (let's say 800 calories) I would lose weight quite rapidly! Would it be healthy? of course not. Remember the Twinkle diet?

Plus remember - fruits and veggies count as carbs. Whole wheats are carbs and in a balanced diet they have their place. Like I said I wouldn't worry so much about your total carb intake and just cutting out the cr@p and eating whole, unprocessed foods (as much as possible), and hitting your target caloric take for the day, and you'll be fine.

also think about lifting weight for weight loss- the more muscle you gain the more your body needs to work to keep the additional muscle healthy (I'm not talking lots of huge muscles here), and if fitting your clothes is what you need- a healthy muscle weighs more than fat does so the weight may not change as drastically but he clothes will fit better. I'm having that mental issue now- my clothes fit better than they ever have but I can't get past my "stuck" weight. I've been flirting breaking this barrier now for almost a month and can't seem to get past it! Eating is good exercise is also so I'm sure it will happen it's just hard mentally. (I have plenty to loose I'd like to be about 30 lbs less eventually)

Thanks for all the input ladies! I knew more people on this thread would have advice than other threads. I know it's frustrating to me that I've made a healthy choice to start running, I've trained for and run 7 half marathons, and 3 full marathons in the past year and I've still managed to gain weight! It's my fault for not being super conscious about what I eat, and thinking I 'earn' unhealthy foods since I worked out, but it's still frustrating. Not that I'm glad anyone else struggles to lose weight, but it is nice to know that it's a struggle others have and I'm not alone with it. I'm only looking to lose around 10 pounds, so hopefully I can do it be princess!

I hope this is not too much information anyone not interested in weight loss should just skip – According to Jeff Galloway’s book and I am greatly summarizing he recommends two things:

1) the output – run less often ( 3 days a week maximum) but longer- try for short runs that are 45 minutes and at least one run a week that is 90 minutes. You are such an amazing and inspiring runner I am not sure how this relates to what you do but that is his recommendation.
2) The income side - Protein between 15% and 25%, Fat between 15% and 25%, Carbohydrate whatever is left – hopefully in Complex carbohydrates. Other recommendations include making no food forbidden, eating small meals more often and increasing fiber. He says he recommends weight loss web sites on his web site.
I have recently lost 45 pounds still have a ways to go I’m at 185 – I do notice that since I have been running my weight loss has slowed but is steadier and my clothes are much smaller so I think more muscle and less fat.

I know this is a hard journey but you show such dedication in your running I think if you take it slowly you will see the results.

Martha

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter