**** Official 2014 AUGUST - Disneyland thread ****

We'll be there August 6 - 10 staying at the Disneyland Hotel! It will be my family of 4 and we'll be meeting with some relatives over the few days too. We have one res so far for Carthay Circle on Aug. 8 which happens to be a milestone birthday for yours truly. Woo-hoo! We're also hoping to take the "Walk in Walt's Footstep's Tour" but can't reserve those until 30 days out so we're in waiting mode for that one.

LOL, ok I'll try again! We are staying about a 15 min walk from Fishermans Wharf - on Lombard (about 4 blocks down from the crooked part of it) Is it a safe area to be walking around do you know? We have a HoHo bus stop about a block away and then 4 blocks uphill we can catch the trolly as well so we won't have to do too much walking but just wondered how safe it is around there in case we decide to walk to the wharf.

We stayed in the Fisherman's Wharf area in 2011, at the Holiday Inn a couple of blocks back from the waterfront. We felt comfortable walking pretty much anywhere during the day (we did the walk from the crooked street to Fisherman's Wharf), and were comfortable enough walking to and from Fisherman's Wharf at night.

The first night I was a little uncomfortable walking around the area, but we had just come from DLR and I was struggling with real life in general after leaving the Disney bubble :rotfl: The next night it was fine.

I've enjoyed reading this thread. We're actually thinking about a trip out in Aug 2015 so I've been reading all about this year's Aug group. I can't wait to hear all your reports when you get back!

We'll be there August 6 - 10 staying at the Disneyland Hotel! It will be my family of 4 and we'll be meeting with some relatives over the few days too. We have one res so far for Carthay Circle on Aug. 8 which happens to be a milestone birthday for yours truly. Woo-hoo! We're also hoping to take the "Walk in Walt's Footstep's Tour" but can't reserve those until 30 days out so we're in waiting mode for that one.

:welcome: I will add in your info to the lists. Glad to have you join us!!!

We stayed in the Fisherman's Wharf area in 2011, at the Holiday Inn a couple of blocks back from the waterfront. We felt comfortable walking pretty much anywhere during the day (we did the walk from the crooked street to Fisherman's Wharf), and were comfortable enough walking to and from Fisherman's Wharf at night.

The first night I was a little uncomfortable walking around the area, but we had just come from DLR and I was struggling with real life in general after leaving the Disney bubble :rotfl: The next night it was fine.

good to know. Thanks for sharing. We are saving our Disney bubble for the very end so we should be good on that count. lol

I've enjoyed reading this thread. We're actually thinking about a trip out in Aug 2015 so I've been reading all about this year's Aug group. I can't wait to hear all your reports when you get back!

Hi! I'm so glad you said hello! I hope your trip ends up working out! Your very smart to read up reports for the same month you are going next year. It should totally give you an idea of what to expect :)

I've been lurking mostly since my first post ages ago but love hearing about everyone's plans and answers to the questions.

I should be able to make dining plans next week. It's been a long wait being used to WDWs 6 month window. Lol

I had looked into bus tours of hollywood/beaches and have decided to rent a car for 24 hrs. We get in on wed 8/27 and thur afternoon will get a car convertible and go to the beach. Then Friday after rush hour plan to drive into Hollywood see the sign and walk of fame etc. I figure with a car we will have the freedom to stayvwhere we want as long as we like. I'm not freaking out abt the driving too much. I'm a MASS-hole driver as were called with a bit of a lead foot. Lol

Thanks wakica for keeping this thread updated.

your welcome :goodvibes

I have yet to figure out my plans for LA. I guess that will be next on my list. Disney and 6 Flags were my first priority, then San Francisco and a few in between nights. We are ending in LA and Disney though so I guess it's time to figure out my LA plans.
Where did you look to find your ideas?

So ... things seem to be falling into place as much as they can without knowing official park hours. :)

All of our dining is booked!

1st DCA Day: WoC (Late) Lunch Pkg at Cathay Circle (I debated long and hard on this one, but in the end, it will be a unique dining experience and, coupled with all the info I've gotten here, it should give us decent shot at good viewing.)

Resort Switch / Relax Day: Goofy's Kitchen Character Breakfast (We're switching to the VGC from DLH, so it fits and Chef Mickey's Bfast is one of our must do's at WDW.)

Beach Tour Day: Tortilla Jo's in Downtown Disney (We're confident this will be a bit more authentic than Taco Bell and Old El Paso kits ... mexican / southwestern just aren't cuisines we have access to at home. Also figured that after a day at the beach, a sit down meal would be easier than counter service.)

Second DL Park Day: Big Thunder Ranch BBQ Late Lunch (We're fans of both Whispering Canyon and Hoop Dee Doo Revu at WDW, so figured this would be an enjoyable experience for us.)

Our other two parks days, we're just going to wing it / go counter service. We know that Flo's will be a must at DCA and there seems like lots of options at DL (we're going to try to eat dinner while staking out our Fantasmic spot .. if this is even possible).

Woody Bus Beach Tour / Whale Watching Excursion is booked through Anaheim Tours ... awesome service so far (and a discount for mentioning I was a DISboards member)!

Making one last attempt to arrange a helicopter tour of Hollywood, if it works out, great. If not, I'm chalking it up to "just not meant to be".

Now, if only the trip didn't seem quite so far away ... I'm ready to leave tomorrow! :upsidedow

(Sorry for the long post ... guess I got a bit over excited there!)

Sounds like a FANTASTIC TIME!! :thumbsup2

I sooooo want my trip to come faster but on the other hand I don't want to wish my summer away :sad: so I'm in a bit of a pickle this year. Normally we do Disney when it's cold here so it's SO easy to count down and anticipate the shorter numbers but we only get so much warmth here in the cold prairies of Canada that I am finding it hard to count down.

Oh well. I will just have to try my best to anticipate it without trying to rush it.

Question of the week.....
:drive::moped::car::beach::drive::moped::car:
Are you planning any other excursions this summer??? Or is it just this one big lovely Disney trip?
Feel free to share any other plans you might have.

We don't have any other plans for 'summer' (it's winter for me, so the count down is on!). However, we do have flights booked to Bangkok at the start of November (which is summer for us so maybe that counts). Was a total spur of the moment decision with 2 for 1 flight specials :thumbsup2 We'll be away for a week, but we only have the main flights booked for now. If we stay in Thailand we'll go somewhere relatively unknown, or we might go from there to Myanmar or Laos.

Sounds like a FANTASTIC TIME!! :thumbsup2

I sooooo want my trip to come faster but on the other hand I don't want to wish my summer away :sad: so I'm in a bit of a pickle this year. Normally we do Disney when it's cold here so it's SO easy to count down and anticipate the shorter numbers but we only get so much warmth here in the cold prairies of Canada that I am finding it hard to count down.

Oh well. I will just have to try my best to anticipate it without trying to rush it.

Oh, I totally get you about not wishing our summer away! (We had snow up here in Northern Ontario into May and quite a fews nights with temps down to 1oC or so in early June. Summer's really only been here for a week or two ... Hopefully it'll stick aroud into September ... October would be pushing it!)

Just gonna keep telling myself that it's worth the wait and enjoy the good weather here while it lasts! :)

Are you planning any other excursions this summer??? Or is it just this one big lovely Disney trip?

Nope, just this one. Working two jobs with no benefits means I have to request time off, and I don't get paid during the time that I miss, so I have to make sure I don't take too much time off or else I can't pay the bills. This is a trip to visit family and Disneyland, and it's a once-a-year kind of thing. Otherwise, it's hard to go anywhere when you're working 6-7 days a week and running on other people's schedules!

Question of the week..... :drive::moped::car::beach::drive::moped::car: Are you planning any other excursions this summer??? Or is it just this one big lovely Disney trip? Feel free to share any other plans you might have.
we are going camping in Maine for 2 long weekends in july. We normally would rent a cabin for one but are tenting to save money for DL.

Wakica-I think I read every Southern Cali post here to plan and reviews of bus tours on trip adviser. We really want to see the Hollywood sign and walk of fame and don't want to have to rush to get back to the bus so the car was a better plan. I need to remember DL is different than WDW. I love being in the wdw bubble and not having to drive at all but we def want to see the coast and LA.

My son is excited to swim in the Atlantic and pacific oceans in the same week.

This is our big trip of the summer. We tend to be a one big trip a year family (usually Disney related) with a few long weekend shopping trips in Southern Ontario (Barrie/Toronto) thrown into the mix!

wakica said:

Disneyland will be our one big trip. Between jobs and volunteer work we are lucky to be able to take this trip so we are going to make it count!!

This is pretty much the only big trip left for this year. Did a relay race from Miami to the Florida Keys in February, so got the other big trip out of the way early this year.

Disneyland and Vegas this August is our big summer trip. We have a trip planned to Florida in October to see Diagon Alley and attend Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party. I love a year when can go to both DL and WDW, but it does not happen very often!

:cheer2:

How odd, I just got off the phone with Disney Dining and the CM I dealt with was...well, not rude or unhelpful but just not all that friendly. I've called DD a number of times and each time the CM has been pleasant, polite and very friendly. This CM did not ask about whether or not we are celebrating anything and I had to ask her to go back and make notes about both our anniversary and a food allergy we have. At the end of the conversation, I thanked her for her help and said "have a nice day"...she did not even reply but just hung up. :confused3

Oh well, as long as she made the reservations correctly, I'm happy!

As for other plans this summer, we leave in 10 days for Toronto and the Ottawa! My FIL and SIL are in the TO area and we are going to spend a week and a half split between TO and the cottage FIL has rented. Our son's birthday is during this time so we are going to head to Canada's Wonderland. We have City Passes for Toronto so we are also going to hit CN Tower, Toronto Zoo, Ontario Science Centre and maybe the Royal Ontario Museum if we have time.

After that, I am heading to Ottawa to spend a few days with my sister and go to Bluesfest before DH and DS join me there for 5 days before coming home.

Between Ontario, Disneyland and the 3 weeks of summer camp DS is going to, it is going to be a busy summer! :banana:

LOL, ok I'll try again! We are staying about a 15 min walk from Fishermans Wharf - on Lombard (about 4 blocks down from the crooked part of it) Is it a safe area to be walking around do you know? We have a HoHo bus stop about a block away and then 4 blocks uphill we can catch the trolly as well so we won't have to do too much walking but just wondered how safe it is around there in case we decide to walk to the wharf.

also we thought about muni but I really don't want to put thought into which bus to catch and where. That's why the HoHo appealed to me. We got a hotel near one of the stops so we can just hop on it and know it will stop at all the attractions we want and its' SUPPOSED to go every 20ish minutes so we don't need to bother with a time schedule much either. Between that and the trolly car we can get to anywhere we want. I just hope the HoHo can stay close to the 20 min intervals. I don't really care about the commentary on the bus - it's mostly transportation for us.

Ok, so I typed out a very long reply Saturday night on my phone, then the app closed and I lost it. :furious:

We were just down in that area Saturday evening for dinner and to hang out. We often end up down there after doing other things in the city because we don't like to drive home from anywhere further than 15 minutes away and risk late naps that will end up in superbly late bedtimes. ;) Our DDs love that Pier 39! My DH and I used to avoid it like the plague (it's so crowded and touristy), but the girls have a blast, so we suck it up and go for them.

It's a safe area. I've been down there by myself with the girls, and we don't park in the garage, but rather several blocks up on a street where it's less crowded. I have never felt unsafe, but the city, in general, is safe, especially in touristy areas. I have developed into quite the city girl, though, so if things like homelessness or being able to tell someone is using a particular type of recreational drug bother you or make you feel uncomfortable, then you might not feel the same.

Some things my DDs (2 and 4) like to do down there:

Playground - there's a small playground near the aquarium that they love. It's a good place to sit and enjoy the view while they get out some energy. It's almost hidden; just keep walking past Pier 39 and just after the aquarium building, the sidewalk splits, and the playground is right there. We have lots of favorite city playgrounds, so if you would like more ideas in other places (by the Ferry Building or in Golden Gate Park, for example), I can share more.

Carousel - there's a pretty double decker carousel towards the end of Pier 39. Just note that adults pay to ride even if you are just standing. DD4 loves the spinny teacup thing on the bottom platform- it reminds her of the teacup ride at DLR/WDW.

Musee Mecanique - Old timey arcades from the turn of the century. This is at the end of Fisherman's Wharf. Five dollars per kid will buy you a couple hours of fun wandering around and playing.

Pier 39 shows - there's a stage behind the carousel. We must have seen 30 shows now, and DDs always love them. The performers are not paid, so please consider a small tip if you watch. They are great at involving the audience. DD4 has been picked before to participate.

Aquarium- we are members of the Monterrey Bay Aquarium, so this one is just so-so for us. Not something I would recommend unless you desperately need to fill time.

Sea Lions- no explanation needed. :thumbsup2

Food:

The restaurants range from awful to terrible on Pier 39. Trust me. Especially in a city known for great food. We eat at two places: Boudin's (there are two locations down there, and both are good) and Fog Harbor Fish House. Fog Harbor is pricier and can have a wait, so consider reservations. They do have a nice waiting area with a fireplace. The views are also stunning from the window tables, which is another good reason for a reservation.

Scoma's on Fisherman's Wharf is nice, but it is quite pricey. I'm from New York and spent a lot of time in Massachusetts growing up, and I find San Francisco clam chowder to be "meh," so I don't like any of the clam chowder places, but you might.

One thing to note. Please, please bring warm clothing, including warm coats. It's cold in the summer here. Actually cold, too, not SoCal cold, but the "I'm from NY and grew up in below zero temps and this is cold" kinda cold. The wind off the Bay can just cut through you. I am over the moon in love with San Francisco, and I think the cold and fog is part of the charm, but I can guarantee you (based on bringing visitors who didn't listen to me when I said "winter coats"), that you will find it far less charming when you are shivering. I can always spot the tourists with their shorts and San Francisco sweatshirts they just paid $50 for.

Speaking of, buy tshirts, etc, in Chinatown. Cheapest prices you will find.

Hope that helps!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter