• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Official 2016 Disneyland Half Marathon Thread

We stayed at the Fairfield Inn on Harbor last year and it worked just perfect for our group.

I can see what my Marriott F&F rate is, if you'd like! Last year, it was about $100/night and I could see the fireworks and Space Mountain from outside my room!

I would appreciate that very much! Thank you!

So ... assuming I can figure out the budgetary issues (my dreams of staying onsite died recently), it looks like my 30th birthday present to myself will be my first half marathon.
Now I just have 2 weeks to scrape together the $200 for registration...

I want to do this! Hoping to do DDD and finish up my Coast-to-Coast. I am just trying to work out the logistics before registration day.

Race themes posted on runDisney.com...

"Dynamic Duos"

Half Marathon: Mickey & Pluto
10K: Aladdin & Genie
5K: Country Bears
Dumbo: Dumbo (obviously) & Timothy

I was just updating the main page with that! I don't normally think of Country Bears as a "Dynamic Duo" since there are more than two, but they are a big part of Disneyland, so I'm interested to see what the come up with!

Did they raise the entrance fee again? I thought the half was 199.. Now 205?

It will be interesting to see how popular this year will be with the inaugural paris so close. I would imagine the east coasters will likely choose paris over this one. Also i believe they moved the open registration for paris until after disneyland.

Did they raise the entrance fee again? I thought the half was 199.. Now 205?

It will be interesting to see how popular this year will be with the inaugural paris so close. I would imagine the east coasters will likely choose paris over this one. Also i believe they moved the open registration for paris until after disneyland.

We're doing Hawaii for a week after Disneyland, so Paris was a non-starter for me.

That said, there are a couple of people from my local run group that didn't get in on the limited sales of packages for DLP Half and have been so put off by the disorganization of individual bib sales that they're passing on the inaugural until they can see what the whole thing turns out to be like. It's a lot of money to spend for a trip that may not have all the kinks worked out. :confused3

Oh, who am I kidding. If they did a race in Hawaii, I would sign up IMMEDIATELY.

I like the idea of duos. I like most of what they chose (I'm really not wild about Country Bears, but I know they're a big deal so I'm okay with it). I'm a little annoyed that my favorite duo (Aladdin & Genie) is the one race I can't do. runDisney hates me sometimes.
Also - Mickey and Pluto have their own races already. I love them, but I feel like they could have chosen a less common duo.

For me, flights from NYC to California will be about $500/person (which annoys me, but there's nothing I can do about that - cross-continent is never cheap). Non-stop NYC to Paris would be closer to $1000. If I want a layover somewhere, it might only be $700 or so. There is no way that Paris makes more sense to me than California, and I'd say I count as an east coaster.

For me, flights from NYC to California will be about $500/person (which annoys me, but there's nothing I can do about that - cross-continent is never cheap). Non-stop NYC to Paris would be closer to $1000. If I want a layover somewhere, it might only be $700 or so. There is no way that Paris makes more sense to me than California, and I'd say I count as an east coaster.

Out of curiousity, I just looked it up. $1300 roundtrip from Orlando, plus another $100 for the train from CDG all the way out to DLP. Factor in the exchange rate between the Euro and the Dollar (which isn't that bad, actually - better than last year when I was overseas), and the rates they're asking for hotels and it's almost 4x what my mom would pay from Orlando to Disneyland.

Plus, honestly - and maybe this is me being the ultimate bratty traveler - but I'm not going through customs and immigration twice AND going to Paris, but not seeing Paris, unless I'm overseas for at least 6-7 days. It's just not worth it to pay $1300 for a plane ticket for a long weekend. All of that makes for a very expensive trip.

Plus, honestly - and maybe this is me being the ultimate bratty traveler - but I'm not going through customs and immigration twice AND going to Paris, but not seeing Paris, unless I'm overseas for at least 6-7 days. It's just not worth it to pay $1300 for a plane ticket for a long weekend. All of that makes for a very expensive trip.

Yeah, I totally agree with this. If I was going to do Paris, it would be the start of a 2-week Europe vacation, so that I could do DLP, Paris itself, and maybe a few other major European tourist traps.
If people can and want to spend the money going out to Paris for a long weekend, that's great for them, but I don't see it as taking "business" away from the Disneyland Half. I think it'll be different crowds to some degree.

Some Semi-Pro Tips on Registering:

My Personal Strategy:
At this point in time, I'm in charge of registering four people for Disneyland this year (myself, husband, friend and friend's daughter), and will be needing two DDDs, one 10K and three 5Ks. My plan is to be ready to go RIGHT at Noon and purchase in this order:
DDD (me) > DDD (friend) > 10K (husband) > 5K (friend's daughter) > 5K (husband) > 5K (me).

I have never done any challenges at Disney. Just to be clear, if my plan is to do the DDD, I register for that and that only? I do not need to register for the two races individually, correct? Then if I want to pick up the 5K, I would need to register for that?

I have never done any challenges at Disney. Just to be clear, if my plan is to do the DDD, I register for that and that only? I do not need to register for the two races individually, correct? Then if I want to pick up the 5K, I would need to register for that?

You got it! Registering for DDD gives you entry to the 10k and the half, as well as the opportunity to receive the special challenge medal! It's the ONLY way to get the challenge medal.

I so want to but I don't think my mom will let me do this one. Sometime in the future I will!

Out of curiousity, I just looked it up. $1300 roundtrip from Orlando, plus another $100 for the train from CDG all the way out to DLP. Factor in the exchange rate between the Euro and the Dollar (which isn't that bad, actually - better than last year when I was overseas), and the rates they're asking for hotels and it's almost 4x what my mom would pay from Orlando to Disneyland.

I may be wrong but aren't there people willing to pay extra to do the inaugural race? I would imagine price would be low on the list to do an inaugural race over disneyland. I still think the races will sell out in one day (with the exception of the half) but not as fast. Maybe wishful thinking on my part

I agree... They should do a race at aulani. The resort is so far out from honolulu... I think it would be pretty easy for them to set up a course.

I don't get the Country Bears though because that attraction is gone at Disneyland, sure the mounted heads are still hidden on the Pooh Ride. I guess because of the Hungry Bear Restaurant they are still there sort of. Still odd choice on that one, but cool theme overall! I'm sad I won't be doing Dumbo again :(

Disney have actually announced a theme already? Wow! It's not something I feel too bad missing out on, preferred last year's theme.

My parents decided to do the DLP half instead of the DLR half this year. They're making it part of a 4 week trip to Europe though. Plus, airfares from Australia to the US or Europe are about the same, and it's a long international flight either way. Doesn't help that the AUD is losing so much ground to the USD either. They already got in on the package, so they're all set!

Oh man I can't wait. After reading the disneyworld marathon blogs and Star Wars half Facebook page I have gotten all excited and am now going to over extend myself for the dumbo. Here is to chaffing and sore legs

As badly as I want to get my Coast to Coast after doing Dopey, I just can't justify dropping over $1000 for a solo trip when I need to pay off this past one (plus taking the family back home to NY this summer for a month)

I really really really want to tho :(

As badly as I want to get my Coast to Coast after doing Dopey, I just can't justify dropping over $1000 for a solo trip when I need to pay off this past one (plus taking the family back home to NY this summer for a month)

I really really really want to tho :(
I know the feeling I'm the same way for this one.

I was just updating the main page with that! I don't normally think of Country Bears as a "Dynamic Duo" since there are more than two, but they are a big part of Disneyland, so I'm interested to see what the come up with!

I don't get the Country Bears though because that attraction is gone at Disneyland, sure the mounted heads are still hidden on the Pooh Ride. I guess because of the Hungry Bear Restaurant they are still there sort of. Still odd choice on that one, but cool theme overall! I'm sad I won't be doing Dumbo again :(

This was my thought as well. I'm honestly surprised they didn't try for a Sven and Christoph 5K to try to milk more money from Frozen.:sad2::sad2::sad2:

I am planning on at least the half. I have done coast to coast for five consecutive years, I would hate to lose my personal streak. I have to decide on another DDD and the 5K. Have to decide if Big Al and Liverlips are worth the day off of work (and $80).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter