• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Official 2016 Disneyland Half Marathon Thread

Race themes posted on runDisney.com...

"Dynamic Duos"

Half Marathon: Mickey & Pluto
10K: Aladdin & Genie
5K: Country Bears
Dumbo: Dumbo (obviously) & Timothy
I completely missed this post. I am so jealous of anyone running the 5K. I would love a country bears theme they are like some of my favorite park character and have a lot of nostalgia for me. If Big Al is on that medal I might need to find a way to fly out for that race if that's the only race I do.

I don't get the Country Bears though because that attraction is gone at Disneyland, sure the mounted heads are still hidden on the Pooh Ride. I guess because of the Hungry Bear Restaurant they are still there sort of. Still odd choice on that one, but cool theme overall! I'm sad I won't be doing Dumbo again :(
I agree with this...so random! But that's really one of my favorite things about DLH Weekend...the randomness of the themes. You just never know what you'll get!

But really...would love to know the thought process behind picking the 5K theme. :scratchin

Question for those of you familiar with DL and its surroundings. It looks like I'm going to be solo at this race, as well. Hazards of being married to a HS principal. What are good places to stay on or around DL? I always stay on site at WDW, but the 3 hotels on DL property are crazy expensive race weekend. Where else should I look to stay and where should I avoid?

I just came back from SW weekend and stayed at the Desert Inn on 1600 S. Harbor. The location was perfect right across the street. There are a bunch of hotels/motels along that stretch. I had room 301 at Desert, which was right above the office and in the front.

It will be interesting to see what the course is for the race this year. With the Star Wars construction we won't be able to run out of toon town and out the back end of the park. We should see a much different course this year. Hopefully we don't lose time in the parks.

Question for those of you familiar with DL and its surroundings. It looks like I'm going to be solo at this race, as well. Hazards of being married to a HS principal. What are good places to stay on or around DL? I always stay on site at WDW, but the 3 hotels on DL property are crazy expensive race weekend. Where else should I look to stay and where should I avoid?

I usually travel solo as well. I usually prefer a place that has something more than a continental breakfast included. I am also extremely budget conscious.
For runDisney events, I have stayed at these hotels:
-Quality Inn & Suites Anaheim Resort (on Manchester, around the bend from HoJo). Recently under renovation. Gives me the vibe of Port Orleans French Quarter or Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. Walk time to start line 10-15 minutes. Walk time back post race 20-30 minutes, depending on lines to go through bag check on the Esplanade.
-Tropicana Inn & Suites (pretty much across Harbor Blvd from where the ART & parking lot buses enter the Esplanade). Walk time to start line 7-12 minutes. Walk time back post race 15-25 minutes.
-Quality Inn & Suites Anaheim at the Park (on Katella Ave, just off the southwest corner of California Adventure). They knew how to host runners when I stayed here. They opened the breakfast early and kept it open late (outside the typical 6-10 timeframe). Walk time to start 5-10 minutes (depends where the start line is as it varies from race to race). Walk time back post race 5-10 minutes (No bag check/security!!!!!)
-Ramada Anaheim South (on Harbor, south of the resort. At least a mile.) Walk time to start 20-25 minutes. Walk time back post race 20-25 minutes. I stayed here for the DL half weekend in 2015. I am thankful I was only chEaring and not running as it was a miserable trek to the park, let alone the start line. So much of a crummy walk back that after the first day, I Uber'ed it from the drop off lot the remaining four days I was there.

I am scoping out hotels this week and going to see which one is the best option for me. The ones on Katella are certainly closer to the start and expo. And when you are going back to freshen up after the race, there is no bag check to hold you up. The ones on Harbor are closer to more off site dining options.

I usually travel solo as well. I usually prefer a place that has something more than a continental breakfast included. I am also extremely budget conscious.
For runDisney events, I have stayed at these hotels:
-Quality Inn & Suites Anaheim Resort (on Manchester, around the bend from HoJo). Recently under renovation. Gives me the vibe of Port Orleans French Quarter or Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. Walk time to start line 10-15 minutes. Walk time back post race 20-30 minutes, depending on lines to go through bag check on the Esplanade.
-Tropicana Inn & Suites (pretty much across Harbor Blvd from where the ART & parking lot buses enter the Esplanade). Walk time to start line 7-12 minutes. Walk time back post race 15-25 minutes.
-Quality Inn & Suites Anaheim at the Park (on Katella Ave, just off the southwest corner of California Adventure). They knew how to host runners when I stayed here. They opened the breakfast early and kept it open late (outside the typical 6-10 timeframe). Walk time to start 5-10 minutes (depends where the start line is as it varies from race to race). Walk time back post race 5-10 minutes (No bag check/security!!!!!)
-Ramada Anaheim South (on Harbor, south of the resort. At least a mile.) Walk time to start 20-25 minutes. Walk time back post race 20-25 minutes. I stayed here for the DL half weekend in 2015. I am thankful I was only chEaring and not running as it was a miserable trek to the park, let alone the start line. So much of a crummy walk back that after the first day, I Uber'ed it from the drop off lot the remaining four days I was there.

I am scoping out hotels this week and going to see which one is the best option for me. The ones on Katella are certainly closer to the start and expo. And when you are going back to freshen up after the race, there is no bag check to hold you up. The ones on Harbor are closer to more off site dining options.

Thank you very much for the information! I'll add those to the list of hotels I'm looking at. I'm looking to balance budget, access to race locations and access to the parks since this is my first DL trip.

I'm in for DDD. Trying to be strong and not sign up for the 5k, given the theme, so we'll see how long I can hold out.

I'm in for DDD. It's redemption for making a rookie mistake at the WDW half and 10k. I didn't eat, drink, or rest enough after the 10k and had nothing in the tank for the half. I want to prove to myself that I can finish well instead of doing a zombie death march.

Hi there! I will be in, but I'm just not sure for what yet. :) I'm debating between Dumbo and the half. $350 before fees hurts a lot, especially after coming back from a WDW vacation! I think I really want to do Dumbo though; it will be my first challenge to go with my first C2C!

I was able to book my DVC at the Grand Cal, so that's nice. We usually like the hotels on Katella, either Stovalls or Anabella. For Anabella, the suites are usually nicer and really big if you have a few people in your party. They have been really expensive lately though, so we've been staying at Stovalls. Stovalls is nothing great, but a place to sleep and quick walking distance to the start. I even booked that as a backup for myself in case I need to save points for Star Wars Dark Side 2017! LOL

Annabella's days are numbered though so stay there while u still can. It is suppose to be torn down in the future

c0bc86a4d4cbd1ab4d9472230de6813b.gif

Just saying hi, I am looking into doing the 10k. I have never ran a 10k, only have ever done 5ks and never a disney run. But I need to get in shape again and this will be my goal. As a teacher, this was the only one I could do, I am soo excited. So it sounds like to get a ticket I need to book the 10k right when it opens up. Hopefully I should get in, I look forward to reading tips and tricks here :)

ALERT!!! ALERT!!!

Tomorrow is Early Registration for AP Holders/DVC Owners! The info for registration is posted on respective passholder/owner pages!

Also, for those interested in staying ONSITE for race weekend - I spoke to someone with RunDisney hotels last week (had to make a change for Tink Weekend) and they told me that hotels would be roughly the same price for DLH Weekend as Tink Weekend and will be available right after General Registration opens. For those interested, this is what the rates are for Tink Weekend. When you book through RunDisney, you pay a one-night deposit and the balance is due upon arrival. I believe TAs are the same way. If you book directly through Disneyland, you have to pay the full balance up front.

Paradise Pier - $319/night (plus taxes and fees)
Disneyland Hotel - $389/night (plus taxes and fees)
Grand Californian Hotel - $YourFirstBornChild ($449/night plus taxes and fees)

All hotels will have a two-night minimum stay.

Still trying to work out the before registration day.
Grand Californian Hotel - $YourFirstBornChild ($449/night plus taxes and fees)

All hotels will have a two-night minimum stay.

I will be leaving my first- (and second- and third-) born at home. :)

Disneyland is such a different animal than Disney World. Do you usually go through a TA or book directly? I feel a little lost.

Still trying to work out the before registration day.

I will be leaving my first- (and second- and third-) born at home. :)

Disneyland is such a different animal than Disney World. Do you usually go through a TA or book directly? I feel a little lost.

Last year, I used a TA for my registration and stayed offsite.

This year, I'm doing AP registration for all our race registrations and then I plan to book via RunDisney for hotels.

For Tink (if this helps!), I initially tried going through a TA for a hotel reservation, but couldn't find one that worked. However, through the link RunDisney provided, I was able to get the exact room I wanted with the same dates I need that a TA couldn't fulfill. I'm hoping for the same luck for Disneyland!

The big difference between the two is that to book a race via a TA for Disneyland, you're just required to also purchase a one-day, one-park ticket - no hotel is required. WDW requires a hotel but no ticket.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter