Official 2016 Princess Half Marathon Thread

Right now DH and I are planning to do the PHM half 2016! We are DVC members so does anybody know if there will be early Regis like the annual pass holders ?

DVC members can register on June 30, 2015 at 12 noon according to the member website. To find information about registering, and the actual link to use to register on registration day, login to you DVC account online. Then look for "membership magic" and then "special offers". Listed there is the runDisney info.

straight up beginner hoping to be ready for this. I"m hoping I can do 6 miles at a 16 minute pace by registration. I f so I will register. I have done 5k's and am back up to a walk run of 5 miles most days. But I am really slow. Like 20 minute miles. I am going to focus on bringing my speed up starting this weekend. I'm also trying really hard not to over do it which is my natural tendency. I have hurt my hip and knee in the past. So 1-2 days a week I"m doing spin instead and when it is nice out I will be back to biking 12 miles a day.

I am planning on GSC for 2016! This year's PHM was my first half and I definitely want to do it again!
I never joined in on last year's thread, so I am happy to be here at the beginning this year! Thanks for starting Luv2run!

I'm in for something. LOL I haven't decided just what yet.

At PHM I decided 2 GSC was enough and I'd just do the 5k and 10K next year. I don't really LOVE the half distance - never have- and after doing PHM 5 times I think I've proven to myself I can do the distance.

BUT... then someone put out a "perfect gsc" list (basically the list of who has done it both years- see it here http://runknittravel.com/2015/03/09/are-you-a-perfect-glass-slipper-challenge-runner/) and it was amazing to see that the numbers dropped! There's a very small group of "us" that did it 2 years in a row.

So for some reason that sounds cool... ha ha ha. And I've put GSC back on the table. Right now I'm saying GSC but that may be scaled back.

If there's a challenge at the castaway cay afterward like there was this year, I'm going to sell a kidney to make that happen again. It was the best vacation week EVER.

I ran into two ladies today that did PH weekend this year. I was wearing my 10k shirt at a swim meet. I'm thinking about wearing one of my other shirts tomorrow.

I'm in for something. LOL I haven't decided just what yet.

At PHM I decided 2 GSC was enough and I'd just do the 5k and 10K next year. I don't really LOVE the half distance - never have- and after doing PHM 5 times I think I've proven to myself I can do the distance.

BUT... then someone put out a "perfect gsc" list (basically the list of who has done it both years- see it here http://runknittravel.com/2015/03/09/are-you-a-perfect-glass-slipper-challenge-runner/) and it was amazing to see that the numbers dropped! There's a very small group of "us" that did it 2 years in a row.

So for some reason that sounds cool... ha ha ha. And I've put GSC back on the table. Right now I'm saying GSC but that may be scaled back.

If there's a challenge at the castaway cay afterward like there was this year, I'm going to sell a kidney to make that happen again. It was the best vacation week EVER.

I love this! Thanks for sharing that link. I felt the same way, 10k is my favorite, why bother with the half. But then I think neither half went as I hoped, so I'm hoping the third time is the charm. Now that you've pointed out the perfect GSC factor, it only further seals the deal for me!

Castaway challenge would be amazing, but I like my kidneys, so I'm not sure I'm that committed yet;) I've done DCL once (before the challenge, but did the 5k). Amazing time, but unbelievably expensive. I'm shooting for Avengers, GSC, and then a non Disney vacation in summer of 2016.

I'm in for the half! Working my way up to it slowly, but encouraged by a friend that's done it the last two years. Curious to see if I can push myself to do it.

I think I'm planning on the 5k with my cousin. I'm soooo not a princess type, but when I realized that my cousin actually IS, and it might be a lot of fun to do this with her (just as it was fun doing the W&D slog-in-the-rain with my best friend), I offered up the idea to her. Now, if I'm flying all that way, I'm hitting the 10K, too.

straight up beginner hoping to be ready for this. I"m hoping I can do 6 miles at a 16 minute pace by registration. I f so I will register.

I'm also trying really hard not to over do it which is my natural tendency.

So...From June until the run you have over 6 months more of training to get there. If you're shooting to get there before registration, you might look to see if you're doing your natural tendency to overdo it. Some of us sign up for things BEFORE we start training; often, signing up for things is the impetus that gets us to train. I wouldn't put that goal in front of registration. Just get there before the event.

I've done DCL once (before the challenge, but did the 5k). Amazing time, but unbelievably expensive.

If they have the Challenge again (and as an inaugural January challenge person I actually hope they don't), it's on a 4 night Dream cruise, which is a lot less expensive than some other cruises DCL does. You could make a guess as to which cruise it might be, and book it now, while it's lower than it will be. Then you can cancel later on if it's not the challenge or if the challenge has been retired, but you'll have gotten in beforehand. If the challenge is offered and it's that cruise, call in, have them put the code on your cruise once you've signed up for the Orlando run(s).

So...From June until the run you have over 6 months more of training to get there. If you're shooting to get there before registration, you might look to see if you're doing your natural tendency to overdo it. Some of us sign up for things BEFORE we start training; often, signing up for things is the impetus that gets us to train. I wouldn't put that goal in front of registration. Just get there before the event.

(s).
I'm not trying to get all of the way there. I know I need to begin working on this goal now. I want to have some sort of half way there goal by registration so that I know I have a chance to reach the goal. If I can currently go 4 miles at 21 minutes a mile I am thinking it would be good to go 6 miles at 16. If I can do that I can see getting up to 10 miles at 15 minutes pace in six more months.
If you have done this before any tips on what a good half way goal would be and how I can work at this now?

I have found that making sure you get in some longer distances is key...even if you are walking. The distance is a lot about stamina both in the mind and body. :)

I have found that making sure you get in some longer distances is key...even if you are walking. The distance is a lot about stamina both in the mind and body. :)
In another couple weeks when we are in the 50's I will add a long walk/run on weekends including a hill or two. Right now it is too cold and my pace is so slow that getting a long distance on the treadmill is both boring and against club rules as there is a time limit.

We live in Maine...I totally understand. I get through long runs on the treadmill by watching fun movies. That is still pretty unbearable at times. Good luck with your training!

Okay Longhorns2 and keahgirl8....you should both do the GSC again to be the perfect princess' we know you are ! And Longhorns2 I know Texas misses you ! :goodvibes

I really want to try to run the GSC but I still have to convince my banker (fiance :rotfl:) and decide if I think can do it. I'm hoping to run the W&D this November and that will be my first half marathon so I'm a little worried about being ready to throw an extra 10k into the mix 3 months later. If nothing else I want to run the Half.

Okay Longhorns2 and keahgirl8....you should both do the GSC again to be the perfect princess' we know you are ! And Longhorns2 I know Texas misses you ! :goodvibes

It's the plan as of now, but that's because I have plenty of time until I have to decide! My PHM weekend was pretty rough, so I'm not making any decisions until I have to!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter