Official 2016 Princess Half Marathon Thread

I came to check in on the thread (Thanksgiving/Christmas/NYE just kept me off the boards) thinking that by now we'd have heard something. We're officially less than a month out and no news yet? No medals/dooneys/NB's????

We've got medals!

12417928_10206625628933293_4478515267068632610_n.jpg

@tigger536 I just logged into my active.com account and the dooney's are still listed under purchase additional merchandise. I do not have a listing for pins though. Maybe log out and log back on??

It is so cold where I am today and not only cold but windy. I'm thinking I might push back my run until tomorrow because I am not about that life.

I'm trying to put together a packing list as well. My friend pointed out that I'll need to leave plenty of room not just for souvenirs but for the four shirts I'll be coming home with so I may just pack less shirts and wear the race shirts around the park instead.

I wear my race shirts, although I'm not a huge fan of the 5K shirts so probably just the 10K and half ones. And I'll buy an I Did It Shirt I'll wear. I am a chronic overpacker and bring the same size suitcase for just me that I bring for my family! (Although now two of my kids have their own suitcases, just because.)

It's cold here in FL too! 26 for my run this morning. I'm a SoCal girl living in Florida. I don't think this is fair at all! And my husband just sent me a weather report about record snowfall in the northeast and El Nino and that normally means cold temps here. :(

10 miles on Saturday... 11:58 pace. The temps have seriously dropped in Maryland so I'm glad I was able to get one good long run in outside. Everyone feeling ready? About a month to go!!!
I'm in MD as well. Frigid yesterday for a run, only did 3 miles. I have 11 scheduled for this weekend... I guess we shall see if that is possible if the snow storm they are calling for comes to reality.

So far in all my training I have lived and died by my schedule of runs. How do others react if something in life makes a long run or back to back run not possible? I guess if the roads aren't cleared by sunday I will slide my 11 miles by a week.

I'm in MD as well. Frigid yesterday for a run, only did 3 miles. I have 11 scheduled for this weekend... I guess we shall see if that is possible if the snow storm they are calling for comes to reality.

So far in all my training I have lived and died by my schedule of runs. How do others react if something in life makes a long run or back to back run not possible? I guess if the roads aren't cleared by sunday I will slide my 11 miles by a week.

I normally live and die by the schedule, but if necessary I'll shift a run forward or back a day for weather if necessary. So if it's going to snow can you do it early? I have no clue about this whole snow business! Are the roads cleared rather quickly or does it depend on the snowfall, like that huge storm last year, will that keep the roads from being clear? Do you have access to a treadmill?

I bet we might see bib numbers by the end of the week via the runner tracking/results site - and possibly no later than next Tuesday just because of the back-to-back crunch of Marathon Weekend/Star Wars.

I hope you are right! I am injured, AGAIN, not horribly so I can't run, but I have to slow way down and limit my mileage. I am hoping for corral and bib numbers to lift my depressed spirits!

I have not run since my half on December 12th. Here is what I am thinking about to jump back into training. Please feel free to comment and give me your opinions!

1/09/16 4 miles
1/16/16 6 miles
1/23/16 5 miles
1/30/16 8 miles
2/06/16 6 miles
2/13/16 10 miles
2/21/16 Princess Half

I don't want to do too much, too fast and re injure myself!

ETA: I plan on doing the 30 minute runs on Tuesday and Thursdays too!

That looks very very similar to my "plan". I just did my 6 yesterday. My T/Th (or sometimes M/F, just depends on when I ran that week) maintenance runs are typically 40/45. I am averaging about 4-4.5 miles during that time. So pretty much every time I step foot on the runner (think treadmill meets arc trainer it's called a zero runner) I'm getting in at least a 5k. Wasn't my plan going in, but it seems to be what's happened.

I hadn't run since W&D up until 1 Jan 16. Just wasn't motivated and running had kind of become a chore- not something I looked forward to. But I realized the Type A in me would not let me toe the line unprepared in Feb, so I dragged myself back to it. Lol. Since Jan first, I have jumped in full force again and done two maintenance and one 'long' run a week. The first week, it was two 30 minute easy pace refresher runs and a longer run where my goal was to see how long I could run without stopping. The next week I think I did 35/45 and then a goal of at least 4.5 for my long run. I actually ran the entire thing- without stopping at all! HUGE HUGE Milestone for me!! I had never run more than 10ish minutes straight without stopping before that.

This week, my long run worked out to be Monday, where I ran for an hour. I did 3 20 minute intervals with I think 1-2 minutes break. I made a 10k in that time. I doubt my actual pace during the race will be that fast; but I can't believe how much faster I am after taking all that time off than I was when I was training for W&D. I'm averaging 10/mi's. My 10k was my fastest pace ever- 9:45/mi!!!!

This from someone who started running 1 April last year and was a 13:30/mi pace!!

One thing I did want to ask- does anyone know what the actual purpose of the down week is between increase weeks? By that I mean, this week long run should be 5 miles, when last weeks was 6 and next week's is 8. Is it recovery- or is it building the endurance base? Something else?

My thought is to bump the 10 miles up to Feb 6 and then taper the 13th down to 6 or even 4/5 .... also slow your mid week runs from the 6th (after your 10 miler) through the 21 ... If you're doing 30 minutes each T / Th, do 20-25 the first week then 15/20 the second week leading to the half.

Just my 2 cents.

Brian

Question: the tapering of the mid week runs- would it be okay to keep 20-25 during that second week? I find that my second run of the week (or the first after a long run depending on the amount of days between runs) it takes me a good 10-15 minutes to work my muscles loose and get into a groove. If I stopped at 15- am I really getting any benefit and keeping my base? Alternatively, if I push it to 25, am I screwing myself up???

For the first day I am in Orlando for PHM I have a solo half day at MK planned on Thursday (my friend will arrive later that afternoon). This will be my first time ever going solo in a theme park let alone Disney World, and I'm actually quite excited! HAve any of you done MK solo? What attractions would be on your must-do list? I currently have a BOG breakfast at 8 scheduled, 7DMT fast pass at 9-10, and then I think it gave me a Little Mermaid fast pass at 11, and a Buzz fast pass at 2.

The first time I had the chance to go into the parks by myself I was nervous- but I LOVED it. I could do what I wanted, when I wanted, how I wanted. Myself, I go on rides (so yes, I will do HM Buzz Peter Pan, etc) the same way I would if I had company with the exception of the teacups. And that's because I enjoy being spun more than spinning. I don't get the feeling of the G's nearly as well if I'm trying to spin the cup as I do if I just let myself be spun. Otherwise, I ride all the same rides, and see all the same shows. I probably take more time shopping than I would with my hubby there. I can be a total commando if I choose; or a slow poke. Take all the time in the world just to capture that one perfect photo, or race about from ride to ride. The cool part is- it's all about YOU.

One thing I've been struggling with almost my entire running life is the second toe on my left foot. It's like the nail catches on my sock when I run, so it gets sore and bruised. It doesn't matter how short I trim it (the nail bed has actually backed up a bit because of this) or if I put on a band-aid or body glide to reduce friction, it still gets really irritated. It doesn't pain me during my runs (thank goodness), but it does get awfully sore afterwards, to the point where it starts to throb and sometimes I can't even have a blanket over my foot when I sleep. I'm concerned that someday I'm going to have to have it removed. :( My other toes are fine, it's just that one. It's so strange.

I have the same thing- left foot. My first 10k last July it acted up towards the end of the race (and again towards the end of the Half of a Half that was W&D) and I had trimmed it back. It actually blistered under the nail and has never been right since. I can actually trim it super duper short now because the nail just doesn't attach to the nail bed anymore. I'm not sure if it's the toe rubbing my shoe (I already size up a half size for running, a whole size is too big and doesn't seem to matter) or if it's my compression sock rubbing the toe (I have tried wearing them pulled away from my toes and using my double sided socks both to no avail) or a combination- but that toe is NEVER happy after a run longer than about 8 miles. I can't even imagine trying for a full with that nail the way it is. That toe is in agony for days afterward. Just walking barefoot on the carpet is like WOWZA

Just out of interest, where has everyone booked to eat the night before their races?
Thursday - Ohana Breakfast, Beaches & Cream for late lunch (it's just going to be the kitchen sink probably)
Friday - Lunch at Brown Derby for Dining with an Imagineer, Dinner at Rose & Crown for Illuminations
Saturday - Akershus for lunch, BOG Dinner

We start out heavy and get progressively lighter. We were originally only doing BOG but then one person wanted Akershus so we'll see how that works out.

Not sure of your goals...but pushing back on the run should be fine to finish in good shape. You said you have done all the other runs so that is good and I have finished several times with a max of 10 mile LR. Year three of the Princess I was so sick for my last LR (10 miles) that it never got done. More to that story, but I finished in a decent time..not my best or worst.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter