Official 2016 Star Wars Half Marthon - The Dark Side Weekend

Did everyone get the survey from runDisney this week about feedback for the SWDS Marathon Weekend? There was a very specific question asking about crowding on the race course and a whole section on shopping at the Expo.
I have not received the survey, yet. I am going to ask if anyone else in my party has.

Just curious... did you really see course crowding from corrals A/B? I was in corral A for the 10k & half, and although the first mile was a little congested (until everyone sorted themselves out), I never felt that I couldn't run the pace I wanted.

The course crowding I saw was nothing like what has been reported from the back corrals, but the course from the Epcot exit to the Hollywood Studios entrance was crowded enough that I knew the later corrals were going to be a mess getting through. The biggest congestion and safety issue I saw was due to the plethora of bike medics that they felt had to be on the course itself in that stretch. It was crowded enough with runners, we didn't need bicyclists riding through and calling for people to make space for them on the most congested part of the course. I especially question the need for them to be present and actively patrolling there so early in the race, as well.

The course crowding I saw was nothing like what has been reported from the back corrals, but the course from the Epcot exit to the Hollywood Studios entrance was crowded enough that I knew the later corrals were going to be a mess getting through. The biggest congestion and safety issue I saw was due to the plethora of bike medics that they felt had to be on the course itself in that stretch. It was crowded enough with runners, we didn't need bicyclists riding through and calling for people to make space for them on the most congested part of the course. I especially question the need for them to be present and actively patrolling there so early in the race, as well.

I saw one of those guys right where you mentioned. On the sidewalk heading towards HS. He kept weaving in and our of runners and just getting in the way. He had no need to be on that tight part of the course.

Funny thing is I don't remember seeing them after that. I'm sure they were around, but I don't recall at all other than by the tents.

I brought up the merchandise issues in the survey.

Regarding the crowding, in the 10K I stopped for early photo ops, and the path to HS was HORRIBLE. For the Half, I didn't have any stops until HS, so the path didn't really bother me. I think I knew it was coming, and being with a faster group of runners really helped.

Speaking of merch... Did anyone get one of the Kessel Run t-shirts? Not a one has shown up on ebay (not that I would buy it from there). It seems they were snatched up by everyone who thought "ooo! cool shirt!" but the actual kessel runners got left in the cold on that one. I'm not saying they shouldn't have bought it, but someone should have realized that it would sell like hotcakes.

Speaking of merch... Did anyone get one of the Kessel Run t-shirts? Not a one has shown up on ebay (not that I would buy it from there). It seems they were snatched up by everyone who thought "ooo! cool shirt!" but the actual kessel runners got left in the cold on that one. I'm not saying they shouldn't have bought it, but someone should have realized that it would sell like hotcakes.

It's very sad seeing all those eBay "stores" with multiples of items that sold out before we even arrived on Friday morning. I ended up grabbing a hat and pin from those vultures. I hate encouraging the @$$#0^3$, but I've been waiting for a Star Wars running hat for years.

My sister and I DID complete the Kessel Run Challenge and we did each manage to snag a shirt at the Expo. We were there noon-ish on Thu, and at that time they still seemed to have many left. But no other KR merch that we found.

ETA: Why didn't they have a KR race shirt the same way they have challenge shirts so that everyone who actually ran the KR got a shirt?!?!

The KR shirt we got was the one on the far right in this pic. It looks completely black, but it isn't... More like a heathered dark gray/black look.

image.jpeg

Last edited:
My sister and I DID complete the Kessel Run Challenge and we did each manage to snag a shirt at the Expo. We were there noon-ish on Thu, and at that time they still seemed to have many left. But no other KR merch that we found.

You lucky dogs! Well, I'm glad there's at least one out there that I know of. Someone who was there a couple hours behind you saw only one of the ladies' sizes left.

But honestly, if they don't care who buys them, why not sell them online later? This is what I mean by a lack of 'Disney' value from Track Shack and runDisney. Who are they supporting, the collectors and ebayers, or their customers?

It's very sad seeing all those eBay "stores" with multiples of items that sold out before we even arrived on Friday morning. I ended up grabbing a hat and pin from those vultures. I hate encouraging the @$$#0^3$, but I've been waiting for a Star Wars running hat for years.

Yeah, I got the hat, too, but didn't rate the seller. It stunk, but at least it wasn't marked up but a few bucks. Otherwise, I would have gone without.

You lucky dogs! Well, I'm glad there's at least one out there that I know of. Someone who was there a couple hours behind you saw only one of the ladies' sizes left.

But honestly, if they don't care who buys them, why not sell them online later? This is what I mean by a lack of 'Disney' value from Track Shack and runDisney. Who are they supporting, the collectors and ebayers, or their customers?
I see what you're saying and TOTALLY AGREE.

I guess they must have just put out more women's shirts before we showed up? :confused3

If you look in the "Completed listings" section of eBay doing a "Kessel Run" search, it appears that 3 shirts were sold by the same person. The large went for $152.50; XL for $103.50; and an XXL for $68.

Getting in Saturday, I knew there would be no way of getting either the shirt or the medal pin, which were really the only two things I was interested in as a Kessel Run participant. Hearing about all the eBay buyers snatching up merchandise, I really thought that maybe I'd be able to find one there (I needed a men's medium), even if it meant supporting that behavior. But I've been surprised by the relative lack of merchandise listed, unless I'm just not searching the right terms (I've also done generic "runDisney" and "Disney marathon" searches). Is the vitriol spewed for eBay vultures overblown? I don't know.

That said, I've found it interesting that the few Kessel Run medal pins that have appeared on eBay appear to be selling higher than if you were to buy the actual finisher medal. That seems strange. And at the prices asked (and received), I'm not holding my breath I'll be adding one of those anytime soon either.

I know Disney doesn't want to be stuck with a bunch of merchandise at the end of these events but it would be great if they could either produce a sufficient number so that everyone has a chance, take pre-orders (preferably with pictures) or sell things after the event on DisneyStore.com or the Shop Disney app.

The large went for $152.50; XL for $103.50; and an XXL for $68.

Okay, I can maybe see $68, but $152?? Geez... But thanks for the tip! (Same seller for all 3.) Dunno how I missed those, but I wear a medium, anyways. And you're right, the pin prices are outrageous!

Well, I have the medal and some pictures of the shirt, so I'm just going to get to work in Illustrator and make one myself. Take that, Disney overlords!

Last edited:
Only thing I really wanted at the Expo was a Dark Side Challenge magnet, and there were none to be found at opening on Friday. Inexcusable, and now inexcusable that I see them going anywhere from $30 to $85 on EBay.

I still think that a Kessel Run race shirt should have been part of the package for those doing both races. They could have tacked a few bucks onto the Dark Side registration.

They could have used the same mechanism that many other races use where they give an option to upgrade from a cotton race shirt to a tech shirt. Just add an option for a KR shirt. Easy. And they're not stuck with extra merch.

Really not ok that people who ran both had a slim chance of ever getting that tshirt.

I still think that a Kessel Run race shirt should have been part of the package for those doing both races. They could have tacked a few bucks onto the Dark Side registration.

Honestly, the only way I could see them doing a Kessel Run challenge shirt is if they create a Kessel Run package that registers you for both races (much like registering for the Rebel Challenge gets you two races and three shirts).
But that would be a mess for people who want to do the 10K/half challenges, unless there were two packages, one for the two halfs and one for the two challenges. And if you want to do the half on one coast and the challenge on the other ... good luck with that.
Realistically, I don't think they would do that.
What would make a lot of sense would be to do a special pre-order for Kessel Run (or general Coast-to-Coast) merchandise. But since they don't seem interested in doing pre-orders for too much of the other popular merchandise, I'm not expecting it to happen any time soon. It's disappointing, but all we can do is send some suggestions to runDisney and hope for the best.

Honestly, I don't see why what I suggested wouldn't work. MANY races out there offer an option to upgrade a cotton shirt to tech shirt for an added cost. If they just had an option when registering for the Dark Side Half to select a KR t-shirt for added cost that would work. And no merch left over.

They might not CHOOSE to do this for whatever reason, but I don't see why it wouldn't be POSSIBLE.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter