Official 2017 Tinker Bell Half Marathon Weekend!

My Garmin was actually going off well before the mile markers on the course, and seemed to get worse as I went. That could also just be perception, but the last three or four miles I couldn't even see the mile marker when my watch would go off. It registered 13.35 miles for the Half.

Huh. The mystery deepens. Was it even a 13.1 course at all? I didn't have any tracking on so I honestly don't know. Forgot my wristband at home and didn't fool with my phone.

The cut being around mile 7/8 makes sense. Would explain how about mile 9 was when I ran into someone who experienced it.

I still need to fill out that survey I got to complain about the lack of promised course entertainment among other things (I'm still bummed about the lack of Tink carpet entering into the bib pick up area). If this was my first Disney race weekend, I doubt I'd be back. It did not live up to what I've come to expect for the cost paid. Here's hoping 2018 sees drastic improvement.

Huh. The mystery deepens. Was it even a 13.1 course at all? I didn't have any tracking on so I honestly don't know. Forgot my wristband at home and didn't fool with my phone.

The cut being around mile 7/8 makes sense. Would explain how about mile 9 was when I ran into someone who experienced it.

I still need to fill out that survey I got to complain about the lack of promised course entertainment among other things (I'm still bummed about the lack of Tink carpet entering into the bib pick up area). If this was my first Disney race weekend, I doubt I'd be back. It did not live up to what I've come to expect for the cost paid. Here's hoping 2018 sees drastic improvement.

This was my first Disneyland race and most definitely my last. Did not like it as much as I loved Disney world ones. So much more entertainment and if I wanted to run around a city with nothing Disney related I'd do the Boston Half Marathon... which I'll prob do. I was just not impressed at all.

It didn't have any ears on it right...was just a head band? I think I do remember you wearing one. Was it a really light color? My brain was half fried by that time though.

I'm sorry you lost it! :(

One of the light green thick headbands they were selling. I've been calling lost and found every day to see if they have it but no luck. I'm weirdly wicked upset about it.

This was my first Disneyland race and most definitely my last. Did not like it as much as I loved Disney world ones. So much more entertainment and if I wanted to run around a city with nothing Disney related I'd do the Boston Half Marathon... which I'll prob do. I was just not impressed at all.

If all future DLR races end up being anything like this past weekend, I don't blame you. This paled in comparison to previous years.

My Garmin was 13.12 (compared to 13.4 for PHM). I didn't do much weaving though - especially with those long straightaways through Anaheim?

A reroute wasn't mentioned at all on the FB group I am part of - but tempted to ask. There was talk of runners cutting sections off in Anaheim (near the library or something?).

My watch had me at 13.34. I really don't think for me the course was shortened. I did very little weaving during the half so I don't see any way it was significantly shortened for us at least. We started in B.

I was also disappointed in my first DL race. Had I not been hearing for a year about how phenomenal the courses were and how great the crowd support was through town, I probably would have been just fine with it, but my expectations were definitely higher. I'm doing Light Side in January to do my Kessel Run next year (assuming they keep it), and that may be it for DL races for me.

My Garmin was actually going off well before the mile markers on the course, and seemed to get worse as I went. That could also just be perception, but the last three or four miles I couldn't even see the mile marker when my watch would go off. It registered 13.35 miles for the Half.

I had the same experience with the Nike Running Club app but that has been true for all of the 1/2s I have done. I attribute it to the weaving and not walking in a perfectly straight line.

If this reroute were true, then it would be interesting to compare someone who believes they were rerouted GPS's tracing to the Tink USATF certification. I wouldn't pay attention to the mile markers on the certification as much as if I would all of the streets as drawn on the map. This is how I figured out that in 2014 one of the local HMs I ran missed a small turn. My GPS was close, but I had memorized the map in advance and was surprised when we didn't make the appropriate turn in a parking lot.

Attachments

• USATF - Certified Course Map - Tink 2017 HM.pdf
    855.9 KB · Views: 11
I wasn't there but chiming in since I did read a lady say in a facebook group (which one I don't remember) she was swept because she made it into that little rectangle area on the map, but right behind her they rerouted everyone to cut that rectangle off. She said it was 1/2 mile about cutoff.

Okay found the comments both from the same person in rundisneyrun group -

".but not too long before I was swept, somewhere between miles 7 and 8, they rerouted what looked like a couple hundred people who were behind me and had them skip the whole loop, and then about 20-30 of us who were slow but still ahead of them were swept. It was weird, but I am guessing a couple hundred people finished a 12.5ish mile half marathon on Sunday."

" I thought they got pulled to the side to be swept, but they were fed into the race. If you look at the map, there is a small loop between miles 7 and 8 on the corner of Harbor and Boardway. I was one of the last two people who went through, and everyone behind me was rerouted down Harbor, and we went around the loop and were swept right after the medical tent.
"

Last edited:
I wasn't there but chiming in since I did read a lady say in a facebook group (which one I don't remember) she was swept because she made it into that little rectangle area on the map, but right behind her they rerouted everyone to cut that rectangle off. She said it was 1/2 mile about cutoff.

Okay found the comments both from the same person in rundisneyrun group -

".but not too long before I was swept, somewhere between miles 7 and 8, they rerouted what looked like a couple hundred people who were behind me and had them skip the whole loop, and then about 20-30 of us who were slow but still ahead of them were swept. It was weird, but I am guessing a couple hundred people finished a 12.5ish mile half marathon on Sunday."

" I thought they got pulled to the side to be swept, but they were fed into the race. If you look at the map, there is a small loop between miles 7 and 8 on the corner of Harbor and Boardway. I was one of the last two people who went through, and everyone behind me was rerouted down Harbor, and we went around the loop and were swept right after the medical tent.
"
Interesting- that's the place where I heard people complain about course cutters too.

I just compared my Garmin to the course
Maps and all looks ok for my race - kind of crappy that they cut the course for people that way. Especially if some went on to finish and were met swept - took away their opportunity to do the full distance.

Attachments

• D8BD8D97-1BA3-4FFF-9C66-BFC93B22061A.jpg
    D8BD8D97-1BA3-4FFF-9C66-BFC93B22061A.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 68E2CE9C-AC7D-437C-B808-495FF88365A5.jpg
    68E2CE9C-AC7D-437C-B808-495FF88365A5.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 8
Well that just makes it even more disturbing that someone was swept who didn't make the reroute, but was right ahead of it enough to see exactly what happened. Plus the whole thing that some ran a shorter race.

Has anyone received a rD race survey??? What was in it??

I NEVER get them and they have all my correct info.

I received a survey in my email yesterday and thought it was from rundisney, but it was the standard park survey. I actually was happy to get it because we a few cast members on our trip that stood out and I was happy to give them a shout out.

My garmin dinged a little before mile markers...and it should have...since I was running all over the place off course for pics! I feel like the course was correct for me but I was in B, so well ahead of any re-route. I can remember exactly where you all are talking about because I remember that box. So did the re-route people get their Clif Gel goo? I'm trying to remember but I think it was either somewhere in that box or right after the box.

I sure did! First race survey I have gotten from them in 7 years of running at Disney. I don't remember what was in it but I tore them to shreds with what they did to the 5K.

I have a Word Document going that will eventually become a very long email that I will be sending them....

I got it. Surprised me, though, since it came to my email that they never seem to be able to email. It's literally the first runDisney email I've ever gotten to that address.

Usually they email my other account I use to register my mom for races. But that one didn't get a survey. Go figure.

I haven't looked at it yet, though. I even got a reminder I still have it to fill out. I'll share the questions asked when I get to it if someone doesn't get to it before me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter