Official 2017 Tinker Bell Half Marathon Weekend!

DOes anyone know exactly what mile point the castle was? I didn't get any Castle photos in my photopass and I am going to ask for a search - I know 2 runners cut me off and jumped in front of a photographer right as we entered, but I then made a point to get the photographers exiting!

DOes anyone know exactly what mile point the castle was? I didn't get any Castle photos in my photopass and I am going to ask for a search - I know 2 runners cut me off and jumped in front of a photographer right as we entered, but I then made a point to get the photographers exiting!

Mile 1.1 ish. The flagpole hub was 1.3 per my sis' chear squad location.

Hoping you get a pic!

I just got the "Thank you for participating" email (which I didn't end up getting for Marathon or Princess weekends this year)...no registration link for 2018 that I can see.

I just got the "Thank you for participating" email (which I didn't end up getting for Marathon or Princess weekends this year)...no registration link for 2018 that I can see.

Me too! So does that mean now I can finally be officially a finisher? Sweet
(although I gotta think seeing the 5k photopass code is a lil salt in the wounds right?)

Me too! So does that mean now I can finally be officially a finisher? Sweet
(although I gotta think seeing the 5k photopass code is a lil salt in the wounds right?)
Yep, I guess we're actually finishers now!

I've recovered from the disappointment of the 5K...it has taken intense therapy* but I have recovered!

*shopping/coffee/etc.

I got mine too. I wouldn't be registering for this particular weekend again likely anyway even though I really did enjoy it a lot.

I want to hear reports back on the DL half weekend. One of my daughters I think could be persuaded to run with a half with us (she runs cross country currently) if she knew it meant a trip to DL. Even though they are in highschool now, I think we could do a long weekend away for that race since it's the beginning of the school year and not do much damage to their academics. But, I'd sort of like to give that race weekend a try since it's a Pixar theme now.

Reading a post in the one runDisney Facebook group I am in...

Between posts here and on that group (including confirmation from the Balloon Dude that rD discussed this ahead of time with the Balloon People), runDisney did indeed cut about 0.8 miles off of the course for some people. Explanation was that they were cutting it close with needing to open the roads back up and chose to do this rather than sweep.

Between posts here and on that group (including confirmation from the Balloon Dude that rD discussed this ahead of time with the Balloon People), runDisney did indeed cut about 0.8 miles off of the course for some people. Explanation was that they were cutting it close with needing to open the roads back up and chose to do this rather than sweep.

I'm trying to put myself in a person's shoes that was at the back of the pack and I probably would have preferred the course shortened than be swept before mile 8. But then I'd also like to be made aware that was happening so that I could mentally know this wasn't my half marathon even if I finished. I personally would care to know that so that I would hold back on posting all over social media about how I was a HM finisher. It would be a big ol' asterick for me. And then I'd let everyone know I finished the 12.5 mile Tink race or what not. But all people are different.
So my question then...did they tell the people out there what was going on??

Wow. I guess maybe the delayed start caused the problem because otherwise with a hard 16:00 m/m pace you should know exactly what time you'll have everyone off each portion of the course. But, if there was no real room for error, a delayed start might be enough to cause the problem. I certainly think they should have made a big announcement about it though and not let all this speculation go on for a week.

No Castle photos for me - photopass did 2 reviews and nada. I'm kind of bummed! And surprised given how many photogs there were before and after the Castle.

Wow. I guess maybe the delayed start caused the problem because otherwise with a hard 16:00 m/m pace you should know exactly what time you'll have everyone off each portion of the course. But, if there was no real room for error, a delayed start might be enough to cause the problem. I certainly think they should have made a big announcement about it though and not let all this speculation go on for a week.
It sounds like the cut happened right after the Balloon Dude came up to it - they let him go on to complete the course and anyone behind him had to go the shortened route. Just really interesting to read about...I feel like I'm learning a lot about runDisney this week...

And honestly, I don't expect an announcement from them. I feel like their communication is so poor! Maybe this possibility is listed somewhere in the Active.com terms when we register, but I don't see anything about this possibility on runDisney.com.

I'm trying to put myself in a person's shoes that was at the back of the pack and I probably would have preferred the course shortened than be swept before mile 8. But then I'd also like to be made aware that was happening so that I could mentally know this wasn't my half marathon even if I finished. I personally would care to know that so that I would hold back on posting all over social media about how I was a HM finisher. It would be a big ol' asterick for me. And then I'd let everyone know I finished the 12.5 mile Tink race or what not. But all people are different.
So my question then...did they tell the people out there what was going on??

The person I talked to definitely seemed to know what had happened and said it was because they "wanted to sweep as few people as possible". I'm not sure she was told this directly, but she clearly understood that the cut happened and that the balloons went on the normal path. But that could also be she either overheard or asked rather than being told without prompting. I wouldn't even know it happened if she hadn't asked me what my pace was.

I wonder more if it had to do with the street openings. A delayed start would really effect that towards the end.

I wouldn't worry about the POT issues - those that would have had the reduced course wouldn't be near times needed for a real POT submission but it would have an effect of at least 13 minutes on their time (since this was .8 miles and these people were around 16 min miles or longer).

They should post something about it to admit it though so there is a distinguish between those diverted and those that weren't but I doubt they noted the bib numbers of those they diverted as there wasn't a mat set up (I'm assuming).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter