Official Avengers Super Hero Half Marathon Weekend 2014 Thread!

I am in for the Half!

The example on the registration form did not include seconds, so I think it's okay.

We stayed at the Anabella for Tink. Very close walk to the start and the rooms were big especially for the price. It's our favorite off-site.

OP has been updated. If you didn't put what race you're in for, I assumed you're in for the Half. :) If something is wrong, msg me or leave a note here and I'll fix it. :)

Hmmm. Not sure how best to narrow it. I will say we are usually deluxe resort type people but as this race was a last second decision we thought it a good idea to save some money. Distance to the race is most important but I consider the Motel 8 to be camping. We will try and decide by this weekend.

On Katella, I know lots of runners stay at the Best Western Stovalls Inn. Still a motel set up but the walk to the park is very short. I think its the closest off site hotel to the race start? Also on Katella is the Annabella. A slightly longer walk and still a motel set up but its maybe a little nicer than some others. We've had friends stay here and really like it.

On Harbor Blvd the Hojo's is a hotel with interior corridors. I stayed here for Tink and the walk in the morning to the race took me about 20 minutes. After the race I was moving much slower and the walk was 30 minutes. Their beds are amazingly comfortable and they still offer free parking. Plus they offer a race discount. They are our go to hotel for most of our Disneyland stays with the family. Slightly closer than the Hojo's is the Fairfield. Still a motel but it gets pretty good reviews. The walk would be about a minute or two faster than Hojo. Also on Harbor are the Best Western Park Place Inn and the Desert Inn and Suites. Both are right at the crosswalk that takes you into the parks. So your walk from them would be about 10-15 minutes to the race start. I've stayed at both before and would stay at both again if the price was right.

Theres many others on Harbor and Katella but those are the ones I've had experience with or know others who have. And I think most people would say that all of these are nicer than a Motel 8 though none of them would be a deluxe hotel at all.

The "nicer" hotels are a little further away. For the Residence Inn, Marriott, Hilton and Hyatt I'd normally say to use the shuttles if you stay there for the Parks. But it could be walkable for the race if you wanted it to be. Having never stayed there I'd call the front desk and ask them how long the walk would take to/from the Paradise Pier Hotel. And speaking of the Paradise Pier Hotel,though it also isn't equivalent to a WDW deluxe, its a very nice property and the corrals for the race are right outside the front doors. Its the only place I'll stay now for DL races.

I stayed at the Holiday Inn on Walnut for one of my trips to DL. I thought it was very nice-staff were very nice and helpful-particularly the manager.

We are staying at the Grand Californian. DH is spoiled and always wants to stay there. He even knows which wing he would like his room in.

Thanks everyone! That is all very helpful. We are just really flying in for the race. So not too much park time but hope to get at least 1 day there. Since we are also doing the wine and dine and than the Dopey in January, we need to have a budget. Almost 2k in entry fees for races this year. Yikes!

I am in for the Half!

The example on the registration form did not include seconds, so I think it's okay.

Thanks, again! (I think you were answering my question about my DD's time, right? :blush:)

That kind of makes sense, since I don't remember getting nervous about not having her exact time from the PHM.

Thanks, again! (I think you were answering my question about my DD's time, right? :blush:) That kind of makes sense, since I don't remember getting nervous about not having her exact time from the PHM.

Yes I was. Sorry I forgot to quote you! oopsie! :)

Thanks, again! (I think you were answering my question about my DD's time, right? :blush:)

That kind of makes sense, since I don't remember getting nervous about not having her exact time from the PHM.

Well I didn't put seconds down when I submitted proof of time down for my races either. So if they are counting seconds and not informing the participants then we are both in deep doodoo. On the bright side you will have time to get notification since I submitted proof of time with a 10k for Dumbo. And that's in August.

But yeah I went with the 'Oh they don't show seconds on the example so they must not require it.'

Have you stayed here before? Looks convienent and nice. Thinking of booking this one as well. Any opinions appreciated.

I have never stayed there before. Saw it when I was out there for the Dumbo and thought it looked nice and it was close to the expo and the start. Read several good reviews before I booked it.

I stayed at the Holiday Inn on Walnut for one of my trips to DL. I thought it was very nice-staff were very nice and helpful-particularly the manager.

It is good to hear from someone who has stayed there. Eases the mind a bit.

We don't know course yet right? So it might be a dl set up or a tink set up? Nothing posted about angels stadium so I'm leaning more towards tink course.

Anyone else have thoughts on this?

We don't know course yet right? So it might be a dl set up or a tink set up? Nothing posted about angels stadium so I'm leaning more towards tink course.

It was announced somewhere that it's a completely different course that's "new and exciting". No Angels Stadium for sure.

Source: http://disneysportsnews.com/2014/02...to-disneyland-resort-in-california-this-fall/

But the Avengers Half Marathon course will be a new 13.1-mile route through the Disneyland Resort and surrounding areas that will differ from the Tinker Bell and Disneyland half marathon courses.

I would think they might go for something different. I mean each course has its own race. But then again who knows maybe they will copy one of the other courses.

Reading over the course description there isn't much to tell. Goes through DCA first and heads into DL. Then heads into Anaheim. Then heads past Paradise Pier and finishes somewhere over near the the Disneyland Hotel. Finish line wise it sounds like it finishes near if not the same spot as the Disneyland half which is nice because I always liked that area over the Tinker Bell finish.

But considering how little information they give about the course in general they might be planning a slightly different course in general. I mean the appeal of doing each of the Disneyland races (Tinker Bell vs Disneyland Half) so far is that no one has been completely identical to its other race. Unlike at WDW where the WDW half is pretty much identical to Princess I believe (never run the WDW half only been out there on the weekend once for the full and the Princess just looked at the course map). So I would think they might try to shoot for another unique course for a third time if they could.

I really want to do this race (did the DL half last year and it was fun), but can't afford to make much of a vacation out of it. Is anyone else flying in and staying for just one night just to run the half? I'm trying to decide if the expense of it all is worth it for so little park time. Since I'd be doing this solo I guess I'm also concerned whether I'll be able to have fun in the parks at all.

I really want to do this race (did the DL half last year and it was fun), but can't afford to make much of a vacation out of it. Is anyone else flying in and staying for just one night just to run the half? I'm trying to decide if the expense of it all is worth it for so little park time. Since I'd be doing this solo I guess I'm also concerned whether I'll be able to have fun in the parks at all.

That's pretty much our plan. We booked 3 nights for hotel so we have them as the flight information is not up yet. Once we decide on flights we will cancel the nights we don't need.

It was announced somewhere that it's a completely different course that's "new and exciting". No Angels Stadium for sure.

Source: http://disneysportsnews.com/2014/02...to-disneyland-resort-in-california-this-fall/

I'm going to make a completely wild guess based on the course description that the staging area/start/finish will be the same as the DL half because it says we run past both PPH and DLH to the finish and at Tink the finish is in the PPH parking lot. The parks portion may be similar, but the streets of Anaheim will differ from both Tink and DL half. And no Angels Stadium. I think the course will be more compact than that. I'm also guessing we may not run past the "shh, neighbors sleeping" section of the Tink. :laughing: Maybe we'll go behind the convention center like the DL 10k. But this is my uneducated guess. :)

I'm not in just yet, my AP is expired and I am not renewing until DL half weekend so I have to wait for general registration to open.

I'm going to make a completely wild guess based on the course description that the staging area/start/finish will be the same as the DL half because it says we run past both PPH and DLH to the finish and at Tink the finish is in the PPH parking lot. The parks portion may be similar, but the streets of Anaheim will differ from both Tink and DL half. And no Angels Stadium. I think the course will be more compact than that. I'm also guessing we may not run past the "shh, neighbors sleeping" section of the Tink. :laughing: Maybe we'll go behind the convention center like the DL 10k. But this is my uneducated guess. :)

I'm not in just yet, my AP is expired and I am not renewing until DL half weekend so I have to wait for general registration to open.

Oh I hadn't even thought of the convention center when thinking of ways we might end up going! Good catch. But yeah most likely we are going to go south and then come back in some way or we're going to go west since DLH goes east and Tink goes north upon park exit.

In other news finally cleared for light jogging (still have to wait three more weeks for full on running but hey I'll take it) after three weeks of nothing but walking so I finally get to mix things up a bit tomorrow morning. Been ready to climb the walls hear from lack of running.

Anaheim is a funky city.. it's laid out weird.. at least, for a half marathon or 4-6 mile run around the city streets is concerned for a loop back to the hotels.

The Disneyland Resort sits on the border of Anaheim and Garden Grove. a mere 1.5 miles south of it and you're in another city. Going west of Disneyland, you're on neighborhoods and more neighborhoods.. and North of it is in the Tinker Bell Route.. East of it is the DL Half route where you wander into Honda Center & Angels Stadium. South of it is the DL 10k/Convention Center, and any further south, like I mentioned, you're no longer in Anaheim, but you're also in more neighborhoods.

My most educated guess would lead me to believe it follows Tink's course somewhat, and veer westward instead of eastward and loop it's way back and around behind PPH/DLH instead of coming through the east side of it. -- IF That were to be "different".

Shrugs. We'll just have to wait and see I guess.

LOL StarGirl11 we were typing the same thing at the same time it looks like!

Looking at Google Maps.. I would have to also say that if this was Avengers Themed.. since most of the surrounding streets of the DLR are either neighborhoods or Industrial.. they *MIGHT* peruse some of the industrialized and otherwise boring areas, that are not busy on a weekend, to bring comic-book sized entertainment. I mean, that's what I would do.. if I owned runDisney or something LOL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter