Official Cake Chatter Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are just a few weeks out from our trip and I am wondering what is the best way to do a Birthday cake for DD.
She will be turning 5 but we plan on being in the park all day long.
I want to have something special for her in our room but didn't know how to go about this.
It is just her,me,my husband and mother going on this trip.So I didn't want anything huge.
We are at the Caribbean Beach Resort.
Any suggestions?

I am watching this thread for the above question. We are celebrating our DD 14th birthday at Carribean Beach Resort and wanted to surprise her that evening. Especially since we are just doing the Quick Service Plan so we are not doing a TS that night.

to the two previous posters, you could always have a welcome package sent to your room through the disney florist. they have a huge selection and do in room celebrations. there's also a lady that's a disser on here that does them as well. i'm sorry i dont have the links perhaps someone else can post them.

just incase you don't want to go the cake route.

I'm trying to understand this correctly so I know someone here should have the right answer - we don't plan to eat at any of the restaurants where we would have the option of having the cake we want brought to our table. I am certain that GF and BW do not deliver cakes to THV where we are going to be staying because this was definitely verified when I talked to someone on the hotline (I think it was GF Bakery not sure) and others have confirmed it here. I thought the lady on the phone said that we could go to the bakery and pick our cake up but I thought I read here that we could not pick a cake up from GFB. Can someone confirm whether we will or will not be able to go to GFB or BWB and pick up a cake. We are planning to get either the mad hatter style cake or something like the star wars fondant Mickey that was posted here with a POTC theme - we do not want one of the podium cakes with the picture printed on them. TIA

there seems to be so many different opinions - I'll 2nd the call disney florist!

http://www.disneyflorist.com/category/occasions/birthday/display

after debating, I decided that the cake prices were just sky rocketing, and the restaurants we go to give free cupcakes! So I went with the candy "cake" BIG hit - its delivered to your room! (after you check in - )

for $30 they do a "snack package" candy, pop (I always call and ask for non caffeine pop!) and I add a mylar balloon!! its always been a hit here!

The Boardwalk Bakery (when you go to Epcot - go out thru the International Gateway and head towards Boardwalk on your left, pass ESPN zone! or take the boat from Disney Studios to the Boardwalk!) You can get a cake there "to go" - lovely cakes for your room... I went to the dollar store and got a plastic table cloth to put on the Pop table - and had brought plastic knives, forks and I brought napkins and plates!! splendid - and it didnt cost almost $100! (at $25 the custom cakes were worth it at $40 for our family - its pushing it - - everyone gets to decide!)

HEY..what are the between the layers filling choices for a custom cake...can't remember....

This is a list of the flavors available for Disney wedding cakes made at the Grand Floridian. The selection varies at other resort bakeries, but at least it gives you some idea of what the GF Bakery can do. :thumbsup2

Cake Flavors
Vanilla
Chocolate
Marble
Carrot
Red Velvet
Lemon
Orange
Almond

Filling Flavors
White Chocolate Mousse
Dark Chocolate Mousse
Milk Chocolate Mousse
Raspberry Mousse
Orange Mousse
Amaretto Mousse
Strawberry Mousse
Passion Fruit Mousse
German Chocolate
Buttercream
Cream Cheese
Peanut Butter
Peanut Butter Cup (chocolate and peanut butter mousses layered together)
Bavarian Cream
Bailey's Mousse
Blackberry Mousse
Mocha Mousse
Fresh Strawberries
Fresh Raspberries
White Chocolate Mousse with Fresh Strawberries
Bavarian Cream with Fresh Strawberries
Passion Fruit Mousse with Fresh Raspberries
Dark Chocolate Mousse with Fresh Raspberries
Strawberry Mousse with Fresh Strawberries
Raspberry Mousse with Fresh Raspberries

Is there anything you don't know about Disney? lol I don't think we've ever 'talked' on here, but I've seen many of your posts... PS- your wedding cake was the coolest EVER!
THANKS, Lurkyloo, for the advice... I'll pick from those 3 restaurants for my bday lunch and we'll do CP another day.
yellow or vanilla... I don't care as long as it's not chocolate...

So, I guess CP will have to move to Breakfast so we can do one of those 3 hotels for lunch :)

:rotfl: You are too kind! There is a TON about Disney I don't know - anybody wanna help me figure out how to see all of Disney's various Christmas celebrations in just a week? :lmao:

I'm glad you've been able to figure out a game plan for the cake, and I hope you'll share pictures here with us! popcorn::

Can someone confirm whether we will or will not be able to go to GFB or BWB and pick up a cake. We are planning to get either the mad hatter style cake or something like the star wars fondant Mickey that was posted here with a POTC theme - we do not want one of the podium cakes with the picture printed on them. TIA

You can pick up a specialty cake at the BoardWalk Bakery as long as you call ahead to order it - I'd say to give them at least 2 weeks' notice. :thumbsup2

Placed my cake order today. The cost will be added to our dinner bill.
We are planning to use TIW discount. Any chance that will apply to the cake, too?

Yeah, I'm probably dreaming :cloud9:.

Yes, the TiW discount will apply to your cake as well. However, the 20% tip will apply to your cake too.

This is kind of how it worked for us:

Dinner $165
Cake $80
Total: $245 excluding tip
Less 20%: $196
Plus 20% tip on $245 ($49): $245 including tip

That isn't exactly right because of tax, I suppose, but anyway, it worked out to have the bill before the discount be right about the total of the bill after the discount that included tip (it wasn't exact, but close). So, essentially, it saved me the tip, but the tip was a lot bigger because it included the cost of the cake. If I'd insisted the cake be rung up separately, I could've probably saved $20 or so, but I really wasn't going to be *that* guest. We were thrilled with our cake and our server, so it wasn't a problem. If you didn't like your sever, I'm sure it would be different, lol.

Has anyone else called back to confirm their order to make sure everything is correct? Since we don't get confirmation numbes or have to put down a CC, I'm worried it won't be there anymore since I placed the order at exactly 2 weeks before we eat. I'm probably nervous for nothing! :confused3

I think calling to confirm is a good idea! Every once in a while you hear about a restaurant not being able to find a cake order, so it couldn't hurt.

I ordered my cake about a week and a half ahead of our date and did not call back to confirm. I was going to and just forgot about it. The cake turned out perfect!

It was so easy and the girl I talked to was super nice. We are leaving next monday :cheer2:. We are going with family and while we are there my MIL and my niece will have a birthday so we are also going to celebrate my son's second birthday (it's at the end of the month) there too. The night we eat at Coral Reef in Epcot I got a cake since he loves fish I thought he would love it. Only bummer is they only offer 2 flavors. It was either chocolate or vanilla. I got an 8 inch cake with a Nemo and friends picture on time and it will be personalized it was $32 not too bad. I'm excited! The other options there are the 6 inch cake w/o personalization and a Mickey Mouse head. Can't wait to see it and eat it!:)

Yes, the TiW discount will apply to your cake as well. However, the 20% tip will apply to your cake too.

Dinner $165
Cake $80

That isn't exactly right because of tax, I suppose, but anyway, it worked out to have the bill before the discount be right about the total of the bill after the discount that included tip (it wasn't exact, but close). So, essentially, it saved me the tip, but the tip was a lot bigger because it included the cost of the cake. If I'd insisted the cake be rung up separately, I could've probably saved $20 or so, but I really wasn't going to be *that* guest. We were thrilled with our cake and our server, so it wasn't a problem. If you didn't like your sever, I'm sure it would be different, lol.

Thanks. As I thought about it, I figured I would need to pay a grat. for the cake. Oh, well. At least I'm not paying full price AND grat. on top of that.

Dinner $165
Cake $80

I thought it was an 18% automatic tip?

The tip (whatever % it is) is on the total bill. The tax (6.5%) is on the amount after the TITW discount (and before tip is added, of course).

Oh No...did I do something wrong....I ordered my cake 1 month in advance....Please give me advise???

Thanks

I am staying at the AKL will I have the same cake options there as I do at the GF restaurants or do I call AKL directly?

Does anyknow if they can deliver the small mickey cake? I was thinking of having one on our first night? Doesy anyone know if it can be made into a minnie one?
Lexi

I am staying at the AKL will I have the same cake options there as I do at the GF restaurants

No. The Grand Floridian Bakery offers far more choice than most of the other resort bakeries.

or do I call AKL directly?

To order a cake for you room, call your resort and ask for Private Dining. To order a cake for a restaurant, call the Cake Hotline listed on the first page of this thread.

Does anyknow if they can deliver the small mickey cake? I was thinking of having one on our first night? Doesy anyone know if it can be made into a minnie one?
Lexi

The Boardwalk Bakery sells miniature pre-made Mickey head cakes for about $4 ... I've never seen Minnie Mouse. I'd suggest giving them a call to find out.

Here's the Mickey cake we purchased in 2007 ... the inside was white cake with candy confetti baked into it. It was tasty ... big enough for my husband and me to split.

159.jpg

how many does the mini-wedding cake from BW bakery feed? are other flavors besides choc/vanilla availalble? :thanks:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter