Official Disney Cake Chatter - Part IV! (2012-2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the best option to get a Star Wars themed cake or dessert for my husbands birthday? We will be eating at the Galactic breakfast during Star Wars weekends on his birthday and at Akershus for dinner. Would I have the best bet at HS to get something? Also what do we do with the left overs if we are at the park a few hours longer?

Last July I contacted HS for a Star Wars themed cake for my son for his birthday at Sci-Fi Dine-In. They told me I needed to order an 8" cake and I could have a 2D figure on top. I believe the choices for the figure were Storm Trooper, C3PO, Darth Vader, and R2D2. They may have also had Jedi Mickey I cannot remember. The price they quoted was $65.00. I have also seen a 3D Jedi Mickey but I do not know if it is only available through the Contemporary or if HS can do it also.

I really wanted a 6" because we were getting a cake for my daughter and other son on another day. Since we were going to be eating at WCC I checked to see if I could get a cake there and they offered the same 2D figures as HS only they were willing to do a 6" cake for $53.00 so we ordered there. I do not know if HS has changed since last summer but maybe you could ask them about a 6" cake with a 2D figure. I was very happy with the one we received at WCC.

We put the leftover cake in the box it came in and took it back to our room for the rest of the trip. Depending on what you are doing at the park after you eat you could put the cake box in a locker until you are ready to leave. I hope you are successful in getting a cake you will like.

are there any other options?

For Star Wars I've been finding the following with the Contemporary (and it's been like pulling teeth):

They will try to get you to order a generic "Star Wars themed" cake covered in in black fondant with a few colorful stars and a 2D image of Darth Vader (someone here ordered this).

If you persist, they will concede that they can create the Chewbacca style cake with buttercream "fur" and fondant belt (someone here ordered it). The buttercream is chocolate, but they can add flavoring to it or use another light colored buttercream (like peanut butter or possibly cream cheese).

They can offer a fully painted white chocolate 3D Jedi Mickey for $45.

They do not have the capabilities to "sculpt" a cake in shape of a character other than Darth Vader (as seen in the wedding cake photos), and that has to be a 14" cake or larger (and will probably run $300+).

I have not been offered screen printing, but someone here got a screen print of Boba Fett last year.

EDIT: I thought the buttercream fur was tinted vanilla - it's chocolate.

Last edited:
For Star Wars I've been finding the following with the Contemporary (and it's been like pulling teeth):

They will try to get you to order a generic "Star Wars themed" cake covered in in black fondant with a few colorful stars and a 2D image of Darth Vader (someone here ordered this).

If you persist, they will concede that they can create the Chewbacca style cake with buttercream "fur" and fondant belt (someone here ordered it). The buttercream is vanilla, but they can add flavoring to it or use another light colored buttercream (like peanut butter or possibly cream cheese).

They can offer a fully painted white chocolate 3D Jedi Mickey for $45.

They do not have the capabilities to "sculpt" a cake in shape of a character other than Darth Vader (as seen in the wedding cake photos), and that has to be a 14" cake or larger (and will probably run $300+).

I have not been offered screen printing, but someone here got a screen print of Boba Fett last year.
that is exactly the image I sent to the EPCOT cake people ...do you know how much the chewbacca cake was? I could not get the Jedi Mickie though

that is exactly the image I sent to the EPCOT cake people ...do you know how much the chewbacca cake was? I could not get the Jedi Mickie though

The Chewbacca cake was quoted to me at $83 for a 6". I assume if you had any special fillings or cake upgrades (like to red velvet cake or fruit filling), it might be a few dollars more. This does not include tax.

Just got a tip from someone working on the pastry team at DHS that if you call the Brown Derby's Group Reservations number (407-560-5377), you can place an order for a fancy, fondant-covered cake. Apparently the DHS pastry team works in that kitchen, so it could be that they will even deliver the cake to a different DHS restaurant for you or let you pick it up at the Derby.

OK....does anyone know if the GF will do a mini cake (kinda anniversary) with 3 or 4 assorted dessert samplers? We are celebrating our 25th anniversary and I would love to surprise husband with a dessert sampler and a small traditional mini cake. We love variety and not a huge cake fan, but tasting different things would be really cool!

I have looked and looked through these threads, but can't seem to find any pictures of the "generic" Star Wars cake offered at Contemporary. We're celebrating my son's 6th birthday there in a couple of weeks. I've just called and left a message about ordering the cake, but I was hoping to get an idea of what was available. Does anyone know where I can find a picture of the regular Star Wars cake offered there? Is there another thread I need to look through? I need to figure out if it's worth me pushing them to try and get something better. Thanks!

It's definitely in this thread - you just have to go back through the pages diligently. I want to say it's probably around 40-60 pages in? It's a cake covered in black fondant with red, white, and blue fondant stars and the Star Wars logo in fondant. There's also a 2D image of Darth Vader and some characters (stormtroopers?) from the Empire behind him. I think there were some wires poked into the cake to make it more three dimensional?

It's definitely in this thread - you just have to go back through the pages diligently. I want to say it's probably around 40-60 pages in? It's a cake covered in black fondant with red, white, and blue fondant stars and the Star Wars logo in fondant. There's also a 2D image of Darth Vader and some characters (stormtroopers?) from the Empire behind him. I think there were some wires poked into the cake to make it more three dimensional?

I did find a Star Wars cake, on page 73. But the person who posted it said it was $100 and it looks a little fancier than what I would call a generic cake. I am pretty sure there's a cheaper, standard option. Maybe I'm wrong? I know it's not going to be $20 or something, but I feel like there's got to be something less than $100.

I did find a Star Wars cake, on page 73. But the person who posted it said it was $100 and it looks a little fancier than what I would call a generic cake. I am pretty sure there's a cheaper, standard option. Maybe I'm wrong? I know it's not going to be $20 or something, but I feel like there's got to be something less than $100.

Once you get into fondant work most 6 inch or above are going to get close to $100. I had a 6 inch cake just buttercream with flowers and a white chocolate slipper and that was $75. I think your cheapest bet may be just a screen print on the cake but not sure how much that will run.

I guess that's what I'm looking for, a picture of a screen printed cake. I may decide it's worth it to spend $100, I'm not sure. But I'd like to see just how generic the screen printed version is.

OK....does anyone know if the GF will do a mini cake (kinda anniversary) with 3 or 4 assorted dessert samplers? We are celebrating our 25th anniversary and I would love to surprise husband with a dessert sampler and a small traditional mini cake. We love variety and not a huge cake fan, but tasting different things would be really cool!

Sure, you'd just need to see what types of desserts they're offering right now by calling Private Dining directly.

For what it's worth, I received a call back and ended up spending $100, lol. The fondant icing was only $6 extra! I ultimately think what I got will be very similar to the aforementioned cake on page 73, although we opted for a storm trooper rather than Darth Vader. I will try and remember to post a picture when we're back!

I ordered a Peter Pan themed cake for my husbands birthday. I ordered through the Contemporary. I was hoping for a mini cake, but they couldn't do what I wanted on that size. They offered to do a 6" 4 layer for $90 or an 8" for $76. This is much more than we needed, after agonizing I went ahead and went with the 4 layer 6" cake. I think that the taller cake will look nicer and for $14 more it will really wow. The only kinda bad thing is I have to have it delivered during breakfast. When I was getting the mini cake I was going to have it delivered to our room, but with a bigger cake I feel like we should share it so it won't go to waste.

I got the inspiration from one of the cake threads.

I'm hoping to order some cakes for our holiday later this yr so I emailed the contempory to see if they could work with the characters I want, Brian emailed back and said yes they could do them but it would be an 8inch with screen print starting at $55 does that sound right? It seems high compared to alot of the cakes I've seen on here which are much more custom and bigger than I'd hoped to get.

I am in the process of trying to order my DS's 5th birthday cake. We will be at Animal Kingdom the day of his birthday and have an ADR for lunch at Tusker House. I have a couple questions. First, if I am hoping to have very little left over, should I order a 6" or an 8"? There will be 4 adults and three kids. I know what the official numbers say, but if I get an 8" will there most likely be a bunch left over? Because I don't want to be carting it around all day. Second, my son is wanting a Chip and Dale themed cake, but to do the 3-D characters painted they quoted me $125 for an 8" cake. I wanted to stick to $100. Any suggestions to get the cost down? Do the unpainted characters look nice? Or do I go with the stand up 2D image? Or maybe I just say forget it and do some sort of safari Mickey cake. But I can't seem to find one. Does anyone have suggestions or ideas about where to find photos? Anyone done a cake like this? Thanks! We go in May, and I am stressing about this!

Here's DH's 40th birthday cake which we just enjoyed this evening at Jiko

• Price: $61
  • Date Received: 4/23/15
  • Cake info: 8-inch Donald inspired cake with red & blue glittered "40" and a white chocolate birthday scroll on top.Marble cake with chocolate fudge ganache filling. Fondant with extra vanilla buttercream beneath

Cake cross section (The cake was delicious...the chocolate fudge ganache was super rich)

That's such a cute cake!! I ordered one for hubby he doesn't know about and going HM theme 8 inch from Boardwalk Bakery fondant for $85 plus tax. I'll report back after our dinner at Flying Fish May 12th :)

Here's DH's 40th birthday cake which we just enjoyed this evening at Jiko

• Price: $61
  • Date Received: 4/23/15
  • Cake info: 8-inch Donald inspired cake with red & blue glittered "40" and a white chocolate birthday scroll on top.Marble cake with chocolate fudge ganache filling. Fondant with extra vanilla buttercream beneath

Cake cross section (The cake was delicious...the chocolate fudge ganache was super rich)

That's a great price. I'm staying at AKL and plan to do a cake for DS6's birthday at Sanaa(for 6 of us). I'm looking for a Star Wars/Lego theme. I hope to get a great price and great work like you got!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter