Official Disney Cake Chatter - Part IV! (2012-2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lurkyloo said:
Yeah, that's not right. Several people on this thread have picked up cakes at the Wave, and I don't think they even had reservations. When I ordered my last cake at the Contemporary, I asked to have it delivered to CA Grill even though I hadn't been able to get a reservation there. We were planning to eat it in the lounge but scored a last-minute ADR.

So What did you tell them to get it delivered to the wave or grill with out reservations and how did you do pick up? Thanks for all the help:)

Last edited:
I just told them the time we were going to be at the restaurant and they put that in my order. So you would just say you're going to be at the Wave at X o'clock and the cake will be ready for you.

Sorry for the stupid questions. The restaurant doesn't wonder why they have a cake and no reservations?

Had a fantastic experience with Brittany at Yacht Club private dining. Brittany coordinated the quote from the bakery team and had some great suggestions. I did not have a crazy cake so she was able to make the order work with a minimum of fuss. Looking forward to our cake on our fireworks cruise!

Had a fantastic experience with Brittany at Yacht Club private dining. Brittany coordinated the quote from the bakery team and had some great suggestions. I did not have a crazy cake so she was able to make the order work with a minimum of fuss. Looking forward to our cake on our fireworks cruise!
Is the cake for an illuminations fireworks cruise?

Does anyone know if the contemporary does other types of special desserts? Our wedding cake was actually a croquembouche and that would be amazing to surprise my husband with on our 10th. If you're not familiar it is basically a tower or pile of cream puffs with spun sugar on or around it.

I rented out The Grand 1 Yacht on November 1st, 2013 for my parents to celebrate their 30th Anniversary. I ordered Champagne, Coffee, Soft Drinks, Chocolate Covered Strawberries, a couple of cupcakes and a 6" White Fondant Anniversary Cake. It had White Chocolate Mousse and Chocolate Buttercream Filling with a large, round piece of white chocolate that read "30 Magical Years" on top. I also ordered Floral Arrangements and Gifts to be set up on the boat, along with a banner that hung on the outside saying "Happy Anniversary". I dealt with Pat Anderson of Private Dining at The Grand, and I can't tell you just how wonderful she was. She was extremely helpful, and very much into making sure that I had every detail planned out accordingly. I also had to deal with The Disney Floral & Gifts Department. They were not as helpful as I would have liked. I had a few issues when booking everything and on the day of, even though they knew it was a surprise, the gifts weren't delivered when they were supposed to be even though I'd paid extra for early delivery. Thankfully my boyfriend and I got there first, and were able to intercept before my parents arrived. When the woman finally came to deliver the gifts, I overheard her laughing about how the gifts were late. The nice woman that helped me at The Grand Marina (her name escapes me, I'm sorry) let her know that I was the customer, and that embarrassed the woman from Floral & Gifts a great deal. She then proceeded to tell me she wasn't going to put the gifts on the boat and set it up like I'd asked. But with the help of the amazing crew and The Grand Marina, and the wonderful man who delivered the private dining order, we were able to set up the boat perfectly for my Mom and Dad's arrival. We were even able to gather some people around, and when they walked up, we all yelled surprise! It was an absolutely amazing experience! If you are fortunate enough to be able to rent out The Grand 1, I highly recommend doing it! You haven't seen The Fireworks until you've seen them from the middle of The Seven Seas Lagoon, DIRECTLY in front of Cinderella Castle! It was a wonderful experience, and amazing memories to last forever. I rented out The Yacht again a few months later on April 17th, 2014 for my Best Friend's Honeymoon. Here are a couple of pictures of the cake. Enjoy! And I hope this post is informative :).https://twitter.com/TheOnlyGreenyT/status/597045634865049600/photo/1

Does anyone know if the contemporary does other types of special desserts? Our wedding cake was actually a croquembouche and that would be amazing to surprise my husband with on our 10th. If you're not familiar it is basically a tower or pile of cream puffs with spun sugar on or around it.

Their other desserts usually run in the vein of chocolate-covered strawberries or truffles, but it never hurts to ask!

Trying to think of a design for my DD 3rd birthday cake (will have it at Chef Mickey) since our trip is coming. She wants Minnie Mouse. After months of reading this post and debating between a mini 2-tiers or a 6'' I finally decided on the 6''. I was thinking of asking for a 6 inches with pink buttercream, white fondant circles and on top a big fondant bow. I am debating if I should get a 2D chocolate image of Minnie on the side (not on top) or a 3D chocolate Minnie figurine on top (can we just ask for a few coloured circles and the rest unpainted?). What do you think? Also, should I go with 2 or 4 layers of cake (we're only 4pp)?

They will have to cover your pink buttercream with fondant in order to adhere those white fondant circles. They can just accent the white chocolate figure instead of completely coloring it, like this.

WhiteChocolatePluto.jpg

If you get a fancy fondant cake, it will be 4 layers inside.

They will have to cover your pink buttercream with fondant in order to adhere those white fondant circles. They can just accent the white chocolate figure instead of completely coloring it, like this.

WhiteChocolatePluto.jpg

If you get a fancy fondant cake, it will be 4 layers inside.

Looks great with the accents! If covering the whole cake with fondant increases the price a lot, maybe I should consider getting the chocolate figure on a separate plate?!? My 3yo probably won't care if it's on the cake or on plate...

S how do you guys handle it when they tell you they can't do a custom cake (sounds like first call is when this happens?) do I just say I know someone who did it or somehitng? Why do they do this?

Looks great with the accents! If covering the whole cake with fondant increases the price a lot, maybe I should consider getting the chocolate figure on a separate plate?!? My 3yo probably won't care if it's on the cake or on plate...

It's the fondant polka dots that are going to require you to upgrade to fondant covering for the whole cake. The chef can tell you more specifically what increases or decreases the price.

S how do you guys handle it when they tell you they can't do a custom cake (sounds like first call is when this happens?) do I just say I know someone who did it or somehitng? Why do they do this?

Where are you calling? Some places at Walt Disney World really don't do custom cakes. If it's the Magic Kingdom cake hotline, you just call or write back and explain to them that you want to work with the Contemporary resort pastry team on a custom cake.

Has anyone gotten the Haunted Mansion mini cake/have a picture of it? I ordered one for a birthday dinner at Artist Point and it sounds adorable, but I'd love to see what it looks like. It was described as a two-tier mini cake with purple buttercream, black fondant swags, black flowers on top and a 2-D figure of the Hitchhiking Ghosts in front. TIA!!

Ok thanks! We are having dinner at the California grill

Then you should have no problem ordering a cake. :thumbsup2

Has anyone gotten the Haunted Mansion mini cake/have a picture of it? I ordered one for a birthday dinner at Artist Point and it sounds adorable, but I'd love to see what it looks like. It was described as a two-tier mini cake with purple buttercream, black fondant swags, black flowers on top and a 2-D figure of the Hitchhiking Ghosts in front. TIA!!

They've never had a standard Haunted Mansion mini cake before, so you'll have to share photos with us! :hyper:

We ordered a 6" cake with a painted white chocolate goofy topper for our youngest son's birthday in January. For buttercream, the price would have been $68. For fondant, the price increased to $74. So only $6 extra for fondant! The fondant looked great and was actually my favorite part of the entire cake.

They've never had a standard Haunted Mansion mini cake before, so you'll have to share photos with us! :hyper:

Yes! We tried to order a Haunted Mansion mini cake for our March stay at WL. The CR bakery said that, for the Haunted Mansion theme, we would need to go with a 6" cake with an estimated cost of $89. We didn't have enough in our party to make a 6" cake worth it for that trip, so we skipped it. Really looking forward to seeing the HM mini cake!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter