Official Disney Cake Chatter - Part IV! (2012-2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi! This might have already been answered, but I didn't see it in the pages I looked at! We are celebrating my daughter's 5th birthday at CRT (on her actual birthday!) - I contacted the special events people for information about the Her Royal Highness package, so I do have that. However, my daughter is mostly interested in the frosting on cake, and the one that comes with the package is fondant covered, so I'm not sure she will be particularly interested (and I would like her to be if I'm paying that much!!). So, my question is - do you know if you're able to order a different kind of cake and have it delivered to CRT, or can it only be the cake from the package? Thank you!!! :)

All fondant cakes have buttercream frosting underneath the fondant - it would not adhere to the cake without the buttercream. Your daughter can just peel off the fondant and eat the buttercream underneath. If you still want to order a different cake, you can call the Contemporary (see Post #2) and give them your package info and ask to customize the cake for an additional charge.

Wow, what is the last photo? Is it a cookie?

It is a piece of white chocolate with a screen print on it.

Are the cakes at Chefs de France really boring? Should I just get a mini cake for brunch at Chef Mickey's? Or maybe send one to our room for when we return from the parks. We are staying at Pop. Anyone have any experience with cakes there? Any and all suggestions helpful. Thanks!

Yes, Chefs de France has only generic, outsourced cakes. Better to get a minicake at Chef Mickey's or have one delivered to Pop. Chef Mickey's will be an easier process than Pop because you can email the pastry chefs directly.

I just spoke with Dorothy at CBR Private Dining. She was very nice, but gave me somewhat limited options. I asked for an Alice/Mad Hatter theme (Tim Burton style), and possibly a 6 inch cake. She said that they only had pictures to put on the cake, and couldn't put them on a cake smaller than 8 inches. That doesn't sound right based on the cakes I've seen here. Is it because CBR cakes come from the BW Bakery? She's sending me an email with pictures. I'm hoping the options won't be as limited as they sounded.

I just spoke with Dorothy at CBR Private Dining. She was very nice, but gave me somewhat limited options. I asked for an Alice/Mad Hatter theme (Tim Burton style), and possibly a 6 inch cake. She said that they only had pictures to put on the cake, and couldn't put them on a cake smaller than 8 inches. That doesn't sound right based on the cakes I've seen here. Is it because CBR cakes come from the BW Bakery? She's sending me an email with pictures. I'm hoping the options won't be as limited as they sounded.

I'll be following your experience - we are ordering a cake pretty soon from BW Bakery for delivery to Flying Fish Cafe (for my birthday). I'm wanting a 6" cake with maybe a 2D edible image so i'm hoping they can do something other than a screen print - not that I mind having a screen print, but we'll have the DDP so an 8" cake will be too much!

BoardWalk Bakery can do more than just screen prints. See if you can get her to give you an email address for a pastry chef at BoardWalk Bakery - or at least pass along inspiration pictures you email her, so they can see what you're interested in.

Also, it would be great if you could post the photos she sends you here!

Ok, so I got an email earlier from Dorothy (at CBR private dining) with a few screen print options for Alice in Wonderland (all were original Alice, and I want Tim Burton's version). I sent back the following email:

"Good morning Dorothy:

I was really thinking more along the lines of Tim Burton’s Alice. I like the Hatter shape of the cake in pic below, without all the fondant and stuff:
MadHatter1Tier-1.jpg

If they can’t do that shape, this one would be ok too:
Cheshire.jpg

I’d really love to have the hat shape (first pic above) with the design below, with the base frosting being chocolate cream cheese buttercream, and maybe fondant just for the ribbon:
Hat.jpg

And maybe a 2D image of the Hatter on top, similar to one of these:
Hatter 2.jpg Hatter.jpg

And I’d love to incorporate the following quote (my favorite quote from the movie) in some way, if possible, instead of the “un-birthday” quote we talked about : “You’re mad, bonkers, off your head. But I’ll tell you a secret – all the best people are.”

And the more basic details: chocolate cake with fresh strawberry filling and chocolate cream cheese buttercream frosting (adding fondant for detail only where needed), in a 6 inch cake (if possible; if not, 8 inch is fine). I may also wamt to order a few chocolate covered strawberries to go with it.

I know that is a lot of detail, and I’m not married to all of it, but I hope to be able to incorporate as much of it as possible. My main goal is to capture some of the zany, dark humor of Tim Burton’s Underland (Wonderland). I’ve seen some really amazing creations come from the Boardwalk pastry team. Could you pass this information along to a member of the pastry team over there to see what they can put together? Or would it be better if you put me directly in touch with one of the pastry chefs so they can tell me part of the design I’m thinking of is possible, and what is not? What do you think? Thank you so much for your help and advice."

I'm really anxious to hear back from her. I didn't want to insult her by asking to work directly with a pastry chef. And I know they probably won't be able to incorporate all of that, but I'd love to have as much of it as possible. What do y'all think?

Last edited:
BoardWalk Bakery can do more than just screen prints. See if you can get her to give you an email address for a pastry chef at BoardWalk Bakery - or at least pass along inspiration pictures you email her, so they can see what you're interested in.

Also, it would be great if you could post the photos she sends you here!

Here are the pics of the screen print options she sent me. They're really cute if you're looking for original Alice in Wonderland.
Alice 2.jpg Alice 3.jpg Alice 4.jpg Alice 1.jpg

So if I want a cake for our Hoop de Doo reservation I go through the Fort Wilderness number, and use the Contemporary bakery. right?

Right! You have to place the order through Fort Wilderness (well, technically it's Wilderness Lodge Private Dining) but if you want anything fancy, they will have it made by the Contemporary pastry team for you.

Ok. So the response from the BWI pastry team is this --

8” Mad Hatter – 250.00

· Cannot use fresh strawberries for a carved cake – too wet

· Would like to change the hats ribbon to a banner with the quote on and then wrapped around the cake like the ribbon would have been."

I'm good with that, using a strawberry filling (or even chocolate buttercream) instead. The price is a little more than I expected though. I asked her if they could downsize it to a 6 inch. If they can't, I don't think I have it in me to say no lol. I guess I'll just pay $250 for it.

Last edited:
The Mad Hatter has a standard pricing structure, but you could try asking them what decorations they could leave off or modify to get the price down.

The Mad Hatter has a standard pricing structure, but you could try asking them what decorations they could leave off or modify to get the price down.

Heck maybe I'll make the Mad Hatter cake myself and we can enjoy it before we go (I have all the equipment; I decorate cakes too, so I know how to do it), then spend the $250 on a F&W event or a dessert party. Or maybe do a simpler design with the standard round cake, and include the quote and a 2d image.

Placed my order today - I was initially ordering a mini-cake in a wedding cake design with Cinderella's Slipper dessert as well for the California Grill on Sept. 1 but after doing some thinking I changed my mind and ordered a 6-inch Haunted Mansion style cake covered in fondant (chocolate cake, white chocolate mousse, and white buttercream frosting). Hector at the Contemporary Cake Line suggested having an edible 2D image of the Haunted Mansion "Bride and Groom" on top as well (a bit macabre for a honeymoon cake but the perfect amount of silly for my DF and I). Hector quotes me $22 for the 6-inch cake, $6 for the fondant and $15 for the 2D image.

Can't wait to see the cake on Sept. 1. I'll make sure to post pictures

Jillycakes makes cupcakes. There are in north Orlando and they will deliver to the resort for $15.
roversync

www.jillycakesorlando.com

roversync

Last edited:
I need a cake for September 28th dinner at California grill. I want a haunted mansion cake with a 2D hitchhiking ghosts for hubbys bday, is it to early to order?
It is just just us so either a mini cake or a 6" cake would be fine...
do you think they'd be able to do something like that?

I'm looking to get a Fancy Fondant cake (probably 3D Mickey) for my Son's Birthday in February. We are eating at the Garden Grill for dinner, and staying at the Beach Club. What are your opinions, will I have better luck with the Epcot pastry team for Garden Grill or with the Beach Club private dining?

I need a cake for September 28th dinner at California grill. I want a haunted mansion cake with a 2D hitchhiking ghosts for hubbys bday, is it to early to order?
It is just just us so either a mini cake or a 6" cake would be fine...
do you think they'd be able to do something like that?

We had a Haunted Mansion cake made for a dinner at CA Grill last year almost on the exact same date and I was beginning the ordering process by this time so it is definitely not too early. I would imagine they can handle 2D hitchhiking ghosts. That doesn't seem too wild of a request ;) I would shoot them an email with your requests and go from there!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter