Official Disney Cake Chatter - Part V!

I want to do a special cake for DD 16th birthday. She doesn't like fondant and wants chocolate icing. Some themes she likes are moana, Rapunzel, High school musical, and tower of terror. Not Disney themed but she also loves music and sings in a couple of choirs. I'll most likely get an 8 inch since my younger kids complain we are never at Disney for their birthday so I'm going to do 6 inch cakes for each of them. Thoughts for what theme might look best on an all chocolate frosted cake. 3 years ago I did Splash mountain and it was perfect. The frosting looked like the mountain and the added the characters in white chocolate, white wated and blue river plus one fondant log.

Feeling a little bummed out. I just got off the phone with Pat and the Grand Flo. I was ordering a cake for myself, actually, because I'm going to Narcoose's for dinner to celebrate my graduate school graduation later this month. I was really hoping to get a Kermit the Frog-themed mini cake. My original thought was white with little rainbows on it and a screen print of Kermit. Apparently they can't do Muppets for the mini cakes. So it's going to have rainbow Mickey heads on it and a screen print of "graduation Mickey", though I'm not sure what that will look like. It won't be much different than my original conception, but it feels a lot less personal.

Feeling a little bummed out. I just got off the phone with Pat and the Grand Flo. I was ordering a cake for myself, actually, because I'm going to Narcoose's for dinner to celebrate my graduate school graduation later this month. I was really hoping to get a Kermit the Frog-themed mini cake. My original thought was white with little rainbows on it and a screen print of Kermit. Apparently they can't do Muppets for the mini cakes. So it's going to have rainbow Mickey heads on it and a screen print of "graduation Mickey", though I'm not sure what that will look like. It won't be much different than my original conception, but it feels a lot less personal.
A 6 or 8 inch cake might be cheaper than the mini and might be able to have Kermit on them

A 6 or 8 inch cake might be cheaper than the mini and might be able to have Kermit on them
Maybe, but it's just two of us and we're getting on a cruise in the morning, so there's no way we could eat that much and can't deal with leftovers. And I'm sure the cake will be awesome, I'm just boo-hooing a bit to myself.

Well, I called and got right in touch with Pat and got DGDs cake ordered for next Sunday. I hope it turns out special. I told her money really was no object. After much thought (which is why it's taken me so long to order something) I decided on the Tinkerbell theme, with the Castle included. She's doing a white chocolate Tink, along with the White chocolate castle. Light purple fondant, flowers and glitter. I think it will turn out pretty. I hope. I stressed that I wanted something really special.

I also got a chocolate slipper for a friend that is joining us. She'll be quite excited to see something with Princess "C" on it.

Y'all have said that Bell Services can hold left over cake too, right? I went with an 8" cake but we'll still have some left over. I know we'll have to go by to get it later but that's no problem for us, we'll be at MK that day and we are dining at GF (for the Tea Room) so we can leave MK, go to GF and then Uber back to our Resort.

Hi guys! We arrive at the Poly in 1 week and I'm hoping to do a surprise cake to greet my DD (8)- Moana-themed. So I am to call the GF bakery for delivery to a Poly room? Although I've read through this thread I didn't write a number down, can someone share with me the direct line?
Will I be able to get a 6-inch personalized Moana-themed cake, what is everyone's most recent experience? Thank you all!
*we had a Cinderella cake personalized and delivered for CRT lunch when we were last there in 2015 but I understand this isn't being done anymore- shame, really. The cake was SO GOOD. Does anyone know if those cakes were just white on white?*

$172 Custom Cake

Quarter Sheet Cake covered in white fondant with film strip around the sides printed straight from their machine (as opposed to cut out fondant work). Small film reel on top (which broke before I could get a picture ). Vanilla cake with custard filling with fresh strawberries. $157 for cake plus $15 gold accented miniature Mickey statue.

This came to our event in the Napa Room at the Contemporary so I assume the Contemporary bakery made it.

It was cute, but to be honest, I had higher hopes for the cake for what we paid. They were supposed to put the filmstrip around all the sides and it came like this...

I was highly disappointed in my Contemporary bakery cake recently too. I just expected more for $140. And, they had a picture ahead of time and it looked nothing like the picture.

When I ordered from Pat for delivery at SOA I was charged immediately as well.

The GF bakery will charge you ahead of time for anything going to the Poly...even restaurants. We've had cakes delivered to Kona and 'Ohana and were informed we'd be charged ahead of time and that our CC receipt would reflect a charge from 1900 PF as a result. So, you'd have to be eating a meal at a restaurant in the GF for it to be tacked onto your meal bill.

Hi! We're celebrating at the California Grill on the first night of our trip. We'll be staying at the Contemporary. A few questions:

I see that the restaurant can't hold my cake leftovers, but can they package it to go? Our room will have a small fridge and I'd like to get a big enough cake to enjoy leftovers for the rest of the trip.

We are hoping for two characters from different movies printed on edible paper. Is it possible to have that done well? If not, are we better off asking for a basic 'grocery store' level decorating?

I've seen some less than great and super expensive cakes come from the Contemporary bakery in this thread. Is there a way to get a different bakery serve us at the California Grill?

Stupid question: Would I be better off changing our dining and eating at the GF that first night so we can use the GF bakery? We want a yellow cake with Bavarian cream and fresh strawberry filling.

If that option isn't available we might skip the whole idea....which brings me to - is there a good reason to go with a Disney cake instead of calling Publix and picking a cake up on our way to the hotel? I love Publix frosting and cake, and I'm worried the Disney cake is a huge hassle, expensive, and not tasty.

Haunted Mansion cake ideas from past Cake Chatter Threads....

Does anyone know if the Haunted Mansion cakes have the design printing on fondant or buttercream frosting? Fondant isn't my favorite flavor....[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

If it's important to you, I'd call back and ask about getting a Kermit *inspired* cake like my Fozzie-inspired cake. They could make it green, with a little pointy "collar" of lighter green around the top tier and little green flippers sticking out of the bottom tier. Sort of like this Maleficient-inspired mini cake they made.

Y'all have said that Bell Services can hold left over cake too, right?

Yes, they have a fridge they can put it in.

Hi guys! We arrive at the Poly in 1 week and I'm hoping to do a surprise cake to greet my DD (8)- Moana-themed. So I am to call the GF bakery for delivery to a Poly room? Although I've read through this thread I didn't write a number down, can someone share with me the direct line?
Will I be able to get a 6-inch personalized Moana-themed cake, what is everyone's most recent experience? Thank you all!
*we had a Cinderella cake personalized and delivered for CRT lunch when we were last there in 2015 but I understand this isn't being done anymore- shame, really. The cake was SO GOOD. Does anyone know if those cakes were just white on white?*

Yes, they were usually either all-vanilla or all-chocolate. The direct number for the Poly—and each resort and park—is in Post #2.

I see that the restaurant can't hold my cake leftovers, but can they package it to go?

Yes, they give it to you in the box it came from the bakery in.

We are hoping for two characters from different movies printed on edible paper. Is it possible to have that done well? If not, are we better off asking for a basic 'grocery store' level decorating?

It depends on whether they have image files for those characters, and they may say you can't show them together because they're from different universes... This seems to vary by how diligent a cast member you get....

Is there a way to get a different bakery serve us at the California Grill?

No.

Stupid question: Would I be better off changing our dining and eating at the GF that first night so we can use the GF bakery? We want a yellow cake with Bavarian cream and fresh strawberry filling.

Honestly, in 12 years of doing this, the GF Bakery is almost always more difficult to work with and the Private Dining contact will often arbitrarily refuse to let you have certain specialty flavors. Whereas the Contemporary is almost always easier to deal with, and I've had many beautiful cakes produced by them. YMMV...

If that option isn't available we might skip the whole idea....which brings me to - is there a good reason to go with a Disney cake instead of calling Publix and picking a cake up on our way to the hotel? I love Publix frosting and cake, and I'm worried the Disney cake is a huge hassle, expensive, and not tasty.

There is no reason. All of those things may turn out to be true about your Disney cake, so if you love Publix cake and don't mind picking one up, that is the way to go.

Does anyone know if the Haunted Mansion cakes have the design printing on fondant or buttercream frosting? Fondant isn't my favorite flavor....

It is not possible to screenprint on buttercream. However, the fondant on which they print is ALWAYS adhered to the cake by buttercream, so if you don't like the fondant, you can just peel it off and eat the buttercream. That said, I can't tell you how many times I've seen someone say they hate fondant but loved Disney's...

I apologize if it's been asked already, but does anyone have any history with gluten free cakes?

I have ordered (3) princess 2-tier mini cakes to be delivered to the Hoop Dee Doo Revue this Sunday (3/11). My niece has severe celiacs and has been hospitalized due to eating gluten before and I really don't want to ruin our trip the first day!

I ordered hers to be gluten free, but I'm just nervous and want to make sure no one has had a problem with gluten free cakes? I want my niece to be included with my daughter and her sister.

I plan on confirming the order on Wednesday, but wanted to hear any first person stories with their gluten free cakes?

I might just order one of the Mickey head cakes for my birthday dinner at WCC. Wish I had some feedback if the vanilla ones are flavorful and fresh tasting. I would love to have one from Amorettes, but having to go pick it up and take it to the WL myself would be way to much trouble.

Just ordered a Mad Hatter style cake for my DD's birthday in May. We will be having dinner at The Wave.
Was wondering if I can pay cash for the cake separately? Forgot to ask when I was on the phone with them.

Just ordered a Mad Hatter style cake for my DD's birthday in May. We will be having dinner at The Wave.
Was wondering if I can pay cash for the cake separately? Forgot to ask when I was on the phone with them.
We had a lunch reservation at Coral reef on our December trip. My parents paid for lunch but I asked for the cake on a separate bill as I had ordered it for their anniversary. Easy peasy

My DH will be celebrating his 54th birthday at Disney. We are planning on the night of his birthday enjoying our resort, the Grand Floridian. I want to surprise him with a little mermaid cake/Ariel for his birthday. We are staying club level, so would they deliver it to the RPC lounge?

Do any of you have any pictures of a little mermaid/Ariel themed cake? Thank you.

I might just order one of the Mickey head cakes for my birthday dinner at WCC. Wish I had some feedback if the vanilla ones are flavorful and fresh tasting. I would love to have one from Amorettes, but having to go pick it up and take it to the WL myself would be way to much trouble.

The new Mickey Mouse Celebration "podium cake" Disney offers is basically the same thing as an Amorette's cake, and you can get it just by asking when you turn up for your reservation: https://www.disboards.com/threads/official-disney-cake-chatter-part-v.3558085/page-25#post-57609434

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter