Official Goofy 2016 Thread

Thanks for the race report! Sounds like a good one. I'll probably run either Battleship or Wine & Dine that weekend next year. Either certainly beat the 75 minutes I put in on the elliptical Sunday! Running out in the fresh air is so much more enjoyable.
City of Oaks was last weekend. I think that race is a better production than battleship. Massive Medal (Newport News) and Harbor Lights (Norfolk) are also around this time. They are other really good options for races this year. There is also the holiday challenge if you run City of Oaks, Durham 13.1 and Skinny Turkey half.

Wrightsville was perfect this year. I don't know that you can always count on an 85 degree day in November though.

This thread has gone kind of cold.
I hope everyone's goofy training is going well. Are ya'll doing back to back long/longer runs on weekends as part of your training.

Yeah, noticed it had gone silent but couldn't think of anything useful to say!

After straining a calf on 11/15 in a half marathon, I was able to get back to full mileage and do 20 last Sunday. I'm doing the Higdon Intermediate II but adding some mileage to it (this is my third time through this plan). I'll probably do 8/14 this weekend and 12/20 next weekend.

Yeah, noticed it had gone silent but couldn't think of anything useful to say!

After straining a calf on 11/15 in a half marathon, I was able to get back to full mileage and do 20 last Sunday. I'm doing the Higdon Intermediate II but adding some mileage to it (this is my third time through this plan). I'll probably do 8/14 this weekend and 12/20 next weekend.
I've got 10/20 this weekend which should be interesting given that we will be traveling for the holiday.

This thread has gone kind of cold.
I hope everyone's goofy training is going well. Are ya'll doing back to back long/longer runs on weekends as part of your training.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to call off my Goofy attempt. The hamstring just hasn't progressed as well as I'd hoped. Still not back to running, just walking up to 7. Should be run/walking in a week or two, but I'm going to be way too far behind the training curve at that point. Will just have to run/walk my way through the 10k and 1/2. The only question left is whether to defer the full or just eat the loss at this point.

IamTrike, are you going to run the Tobacco Road full or half in March? I'm targeting the 1/2 for a "return to full running" race to tune up for Dark Side Weekend.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to call off my Goofy attempt. The hamstring just hasn't progressed as well as I'd hoped. Still not back to running, just walking up to 7. Should be run/walking in a week or two, but I'm going to be way too far behind the training curve at that point. Will just have to run/walk my way through the 10k and 1/2. The only question left is whether to defer the full or just eat the loss at this point.

IamTrike, are you going to run the Tobacco Road full or half in March? I'm targeting the 1/2 for a "return to full running" race to tune up for Dark Side Weekend.

Glad to hear I am not the only nursing an injury. Thankfully my calf seems to be cooperating more than your hamstring is. I will be heavily modifying my next 40 days of training to try and make it through my Goofy attempt.

Good luck on your recovery!

I hope the hamstring starts to feel better.

My goal is to run the full at tobacco road but I'm still tentative waiting for the kids competition schedules to shape up.

Glad to hear I am not the only nursing an injury. Thankfully my calf seems to be cooperating more than your hamstring is. I will be heavily modifying my next 40 days of training to try and make it through my Goofy attempt.

Good luck on your recovery!
I'm in the walking wounded club as well. Nursing a knee strain, but I still think I can make Goofy if I don't have further setbacks...

I'm in the walking wounded club as well. Nursing a knee strain, but I still think I can make Goofy if I don't have further setbacks...

Take it easy on the knee. I hope it will treat you well come January; I am sure it will.

Take it easy on the knee. I hope it will treat you well come January; I am sure it will.
I saw the orthopedist yesterday. I forgot that a year and a half ago he diagnosed me with a suspected meniscus issue, and that's probably what flared up last week and is why I can't quite get back to 100%. Once that thing gets inflamed, it's very hard to settle it back down again. Anyway, he fired my knee up with cortisone, which worked like magic 10 years ago on the other knee when it was in much worse shape than my right is now. It already feels very strong. Giving it till Thursday then I'll try a 3 miler... at least my head is in a much better place now.

I saw the orthopedist yesterday. I forgot that a year and a half ago he diagnosed me with a suspected meniscus issue, and that's probably what flared up last week and is why I can't quite get back to 100%. Once that thing gets inflamed, it's very hard to settle it back down again. Anyway, he fired my knee up with cortisone, which worked like magic 10 years ago on the other knee when it was in much worse shape than my right is now. It already feels very strong. Giving it till Thursday then I'll try a 3 miler... at least my head is in a much better place now.

Glad the knee is doing better. I hope the the shot does really clear things up.

So if I read the event guide right, I don't have to do anything special after the half to get Goofy credit. Just run it like normal. After the full, I have to go to the Goofy tent to get Goofy credit and the medal, is that right?
Holding my breath till tomorrow when I can try my knee out.

So if I read the event guide right, I don't have to do anything special after the half to get Goofy credit. Just run it like normal. After the full, I have to go to the Goofy tent to get Goofy credit and the medal, is that right?

So on the event guide page 38, it mentions getting your picture taken at the expo. You'll pickup your bib at the expo and then follow the signs to get your picture taken with the bib. This picture will be used as a verification after you finish the half and full to ensure you indeed did finish both races. When you finish the half just walk through the exit as normal, and there is a tent we walk through that has cameras that are taking photos of you and your bib. This facial recognition technology will be used with the expo pic, half pic, and full pic. If all three match, you will receive your extra Goofy medal at the end of the full after the photo op station (same tent that will seem empty at the half).

So on the event guide page 38, it mentions getting your picture taken at the expo. You'll pickup your bib at the expo and then follow the signs to get your picture taken with the bib. This picture will be used as a verification after you finish the half and full to ensure you indeed did finish both races. When you finish the half just walk through the exit as normal, and there is a tent we walk through that has cameras that are taking photos of you and your bib. This facial recognition technology will be used with the expo pic, half pic, and full pic. If all three match, you will receive your extra Goofy medal at the end of the full after the photo op station (same tent that will seem empty at the half).

Thanks for the explanation!

There will be signs and cast members/volunteers shouting directions for Goofy and Dopey runners after each race. Last year it was a cursory stop at the tent designated for your challenge as a CM or rD employee looked up your bib number on a computer and then let you pass (I assume they were matching you with your picture taken at the expo and checking to make sure your times posted at each checkpoint). Certainly more convenient than the wristband process the year before.

Hi folks, posting here too....
I had to defer til 2017, but have already paid for a goofy pin. If someone wants it, it's theirs, I just don't know the rules about picking things up for someone else....
Anyone know, or anyone interested!
Pay it forward...!
I would really love for someone to enjoy it :)

I'm afraid I'm going to have to call off my Goofy attempt. The hamstring just hasn't progressed as well as I'd hoped. Still not back to running, just walking up to 7. Should be run/walking in a week or two, but I'm going to be way too far behind the training curve at that point. Will just have to run/walk my way through the 10k and 1/2. The only question left is whether to defer the full or just eat the loss at this point

@camaker , sorry you have to make this choice, it is hard to get so far in your training and have this happen. I was really floored to have to defer to next year, it was the right choice though, AND an exercise in not succumbing to my bullheaded nature!
Wishing you well, and sorry you have to make this choice : /

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter