Official Goofy 2016 Thread

Wow I hpe that you continue to recover. It's better to be undertrained than injured so I'd listen to your PT. If you don't and you hurt yourself again it'd be frustrating.

Have you ever run the battleship half? I wonder what it's like.

This will be my 1st time running it so I will have to give you a post-race rundown. My wife loves historic downtown Wilmington and I'm a battleship fan so I thought I'd try it out. From what I've been able to gather it's a pretty flat, fast course through the historic district with the only "hill" of note being the bridge over the Cape Fear River.

I don't know how people turn right around from a marathon and run another in a couple of weeks. I'm still recovering from the one I did Sept. 27. But it sounds like you are taking it easy...

It takes practice, training, and experience. When I run marathons close together, I only run all out for the first one. The rest are just easy runs for fun. It helps to have a goal or reason for doing it, something like moving up levels in Marathon Maniacs, extra swag for meeting a challenge, etc.

I have the Detroit Marathon this weekend and I am hoping to set a new PR. In November and December I have two fun races around Thanksgiving and Christmas. The second one will be with my 8 year old daughter. This will be her third 5k and I think I am creating a runner! Really looking forward to that one!
Good luck at Detroit! It's always a joy to run with your kids isn't it? I could never get mine to run when they were younger, but 2 of 3 are now running now as adults. I'm actually doing Goofy so I can run the half with them and still do the full.

It takes practice, training, and experience. When I run marathons close together, I only run all out for the first one. The rest are just easy runs for fun. It helps to have a goal or reason for doing it, something like moving up levels in Marathon Maniacs, extra swag for meeting a challenge, etc.

The marathon this weekend is one of my buddies favorite races. This will be his forth time running it so I wanted to be there for him because he'll get a special finisher thing because he'll have done 100 cumulative miles on that trail. I like the race a lot too, but I'm just more excited about being other there for a fun run with a friend. I've already told him I have no idea what shape my body will be in and I fully plan on him needing to leave me.

So do you find being part of the maniacs worth it? This race will give me eligibility although I think I had met the bronze requirements last year. I've been debating signing up.

So do you find being part of the maniacs worth it? This race will give me eligibility although I think I had met the bronze requirements last year. I've been debating signing up.

Not really. I don't get much out of it. I only signed up because I had finished the Texas Marathon Challenge and became eligible. It might be more useful if I was going for 50 states or something like that.

Not really. I don't get much out of it. I only signed up because I had finished the Texas Marathon Challenge and became eligible. It might be more useful if I was going for 50 states or something like that.

Nobody likes a show-off.

Good luck at Detroit! It's always a joy to run with your kids isn't it? I could never get mine to run when they were younger, but 2 of 3 are now running now as adults. I'm actually doing Goofy so I can run the half with them and still do the full.

Thanks. I am excited/anxious. How cool that you get to run the Half with them at Disney, that should be a real memory to hold on to. My daughter says she wants to run "one of the long races" with me. I am going to keep our shared runs at the 5k distance for a few years. If she is still enjoying it then maybe I can run a Disney half with her.

Thanks. I am excited/anxious. How cool that you get to run the Half with them at Disney, that should be a real memory to hold on to. My daughter says she wants to run "one of the long races" with me. I am going to keep our shared runs at the 5k distance for a few years. If she is still enjoying it then maybe I can run a Disney half with her.

It's too bad they discontinued the everest challenge. I loved doing that with my son. It was expensive for a 5k but he got a real kick out of getting to stay late in animal kingdom and ride everest after the race.

It's too bad they discontinued the everest challenge. I loved doing that with my son. It was expensive for a 5k but he got a real kick out of getting to stay late in animal kingdom and ride everest after the race.

Ya, this was really fun! I did this withDD25 this year, she absolutely blew through the scavenger hunt questions!
Smart girl, proud mama!

... my other memorable moment was after we started running, she took off like a gazelle... I'm yelling "pace yourself! Pace yourself!!
Read as: "pace yourself at your mamas pace!!!!"
huff puff huff puff!!!
:rotfl2:

The 13.1 mile distance has to be taken seriously. I told my son (23), a good general athlete but not a runner, that he needs to at least equal his sister's proof of time submission. She's not a great athlete but runs regularly and ran a 52 minute 10k in August. He didn't really train and I paced him at a 52 minute pace (about 8:30 miles) in a 10k race. He died after 3 miles and ended up running 56 minutes. That doesn't help our corral placement, but I think the experience has convinced that he needs to prepare for that 13.1!

. Thanks. It seems like a lot to pay and I wasn't sure how valuable it is.

Nobody likes a show-off.
"show off" or "presenting past experience so that we can learn from it"?

The 13.1 mile distance has to be taken seriously. I told my son (23), a good general athlete but not a runner, that he needs to at least equal his sister's proof of time submission. She's not a great athlete but runs regularly and ran a 52 minute 10k in August. He didn't really train and I paced him at a 52 minute pace (about 8:30 miles) in a 10k race. He died after 3 miles and ended up running 56 minutes. That doesn't help our corral placement, but I think the experience has convinced that he needs to prepare for that 13.1!

Hitting the wall often is a good motivater. Hope you three have a great race!

Howdy yall. Hope everyone had a great weekend. I ran my Medoc Marathon this weekend. It's slogan is "Rock, Roots, Hills, Repeat". It was a great time as always. The crew that puts it on "Tar River Runners" always put on a great race. It's just a really fun "ready, set, go race". If you're new to running I highly suggest finding a couple local races to do. They won't necessarily have the crowd support that a national race might have, but they are usually a really great time, have pretty good swag and the proceeds usually wind up going towards local charities and your local running community.

This was a trail marathon and I was expecting to be slow. It's got a lot of big elevation changes. You go down a 2+ story flight of stairs at one point. My buddy and I both ran our trail marathon PR this year though.

Howdy yall. Hope everyone had a great weekend. I ran my Medoc Marathon this weekend. It's slogan is "Rock, Roots, Hills, Repeat". It was a great time as always. The crew that puts it on "Tar River Runners" always put on a great race. It's just a really fun "ready, set, go race". If you're new to running I highly suggest finding a couple local races to do. They won't necessarily have the crowd support that a national race might have, but they are usually a really great time, have pretty good swag and the proceeds usually wind up going towards local charities and your local running community.

This was a trail marathon and I was expecting to be slow. It's got a lot of big elevation changes. You go down a 2+ story flight of stairs at one point. My buddy and I both ran our trail marathon PR this year though.
Nice job! My knees hurt just thinking about those stairs and elevation changes.

This will be my 1st time running it so I will have to give you a post-race rundown. My wife loves historic downtown Wilmington and I'm a battleship fan so I thought I'd try it out. From what I've been able to gather it's a pretty flat, fast course through the historic district with the only "hill" of note being the bridge over the Cape Fear River.

So I was looking at my upcoming race calendar and it looks pretty sad. I need to find something between now and goofy. I think I might sign up for this race too.

So I was looking at my upcoming race calendar and it looks pretty sad. I need to find something between now and goofy. I think I might sign up for this race too.

Then you will have to let me know how it is afterwards. I'm having to pull out of the race due to my hamstring at this point. No deferral policy, either, unfortunately. Maybe next year.

Then you will have to let me know how it is afterwards. I'm having to pull out of the race due to my hamstring at this point. No deferral policy, either, unfortunately. Maybe next year.
I'm really sorry to hear that. I hope that you can recover before too long.

So The BattleShip half was an interesting race. For me it wasn't really that flat. It wasn't as hilly as a city of oaks but I think looking at the elevation profile afterwards there were 8 or 9 50 foot hills in the course. It wasn't like climbing a mountain, but it was enough to slow me down a bit. The area downtown was really neat, but you spent a lot of time looping through suburban neighborhoods to get the miles in. We stayed in Writghtsville and Saturday was beautiful on the beach, so my family really enjoyed it. I like smaller local races so I enjoyed this, but I don't know that it's a race I'll do year after year.

So The BattleShip half was an interesting race. For me it wasn't really that flat. It wasn't as hilly as a city of oaks but I think looking at the elevation profile afterwards there were 8 or 9 50 foot hills in the course. It wasn't like climbing a mountain, but it was enough to slow me down a bit. The area downtown was really neat, but you spent a lot of time looping through suburban neighborhoods to get the miles in. We stayed in Writghtsville and Saturday was beautiful on the beach, so my family really enjoyed it. I like smaller local races so I enjoyed this, but I don't know that it's a race I'll do year after year.

Thanks for the race report! Sounds like a good one. I'll probably run either Battleship or Wine & Dine that weekend next year. Either certainly beat the 75 minutes I put in on the elliptical Sunday! Running out in the fresh air is so much more enjoyable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter