Official Goofy 2016 Thread

I think some of this depends on your running base.
I agree - the weekly base mileage makes a big difference here. I know folks who run a pretty fast half and/or full while only running 30-40 miles/week in training. Not sure that they could maintain their marathon pace after a half the day before with that type of base. But if you have a base above 50 miles/week, you have a much better chance.

I ran what I thought was a conservative half on Saturday and started well for the full on Sunday. Then about the half-way point my body kind of said "A half yesterday plus a half so far today equals a full. Your done!" and it was the death march for the 2nd half.

That exactly sums up the experience that I was trying to highlight.

I can't speak for all plans but the training plan I am using is based on cumulative fatigue. I do 2 runs a week that are at or faster than race pace. Both are midweek runs and for a marathon they only get up to 10 miles at race pace. On weekends my long runs are typically 1 minute or behind my race pace. You don't do your long runs at race pace because the recovery would take too long. Longs runs are about conditioning your body to handle the time on your feet. In my training plan because of the constant training my 10 mile tempo run is actually supposed to simulate the last 10 miles of race without putting the strain on your body of running a full marathon. The studies that I've read seem to show that this works.
What he said. My long runs (20 miles) ended up being about 3 and 1/2 hours... which is not far off the time I spent in the actual race. The idea is to accustom your body to exchanging energy and working for that length of time. My long runs were never better than a 9:30 pace, I ran my pace runs sub 9 and occasionally near 8 minutes, and I averaged 8:28 in the race. And like Trike says, if you ran at race pace on long runs you'd just grind your body into powder.

Okay... Here is another of my I Love The Runners On DIS posts, so if you don't like them, skip this posting!!
I just ran the Harwich Cranberry half marathon... My goal was to break 12mmi...

Here are my laps!!!image.jpg

.... Written on the pizza box of course!!!!
(Hey! It included all the food groups!! )

So I ran avg 11:48mmi
Completed in 2:34 (push goal-was finish under 2:30!)

My practice 13.1 2 weeks ago was 12:20mmi !

My dip in pace at mile 7 was an unfortunate
GI situation(lol)- I don't think my body handles Gatorade well, combined with the shot blocks it was too much.. Live and learn
( and yes I know don't try anything new! Learned that here ..Nothing was new, might have been a new combination though! So- new combinations are still NEW! :) )

So really, I thank you ALL here. I thought of things I'd read when I was running. I thought of people I have "met", and felt supported by.
All of you; experienced, new, fast, slow-
You have taught me training, fueling, pacing , dressing, pushing, biting the bullet to the end, pushing the last stretch, run your own race, and DONT TRY ANYTHING NEW ON RACE DAY!!!
Lol!!

My peeps! Thanks so much for being here... I really really thank you all!! Again!!

So I ran avg 11:48mmi
Completed in 2:34 (push goal-was finish under 2:30!)

My practice 13.1 2 weeks ago was 12:20mmi !

Well done! You certainly are improving!

My dip in pace at mile 7 was an unfortunate
GI situation(lol)- I don't think my body handles Gatorade well, combined with the shot blocks it was too much.. Live and learn
( and yes I know don't try anything new! Learned that here ..Nothing was new, might have been a new combination though! So- new combinations are still NEW! :) )

Another possible way to help with this is to take salt tabs and less sports drink. They are usually easier to digest. I prefer the ones from Salt Stick, but there are other options out there too.

:)

Another possible way to help with this is to take salt tabs and less sports drink. They are usually easier to digest. I prefer the ones from Salt Stick, but there are other options out there too.

Oh yes, now I remember this advice from another post.
Thanks, I will try them!

One of the half marathons I did was giving out electrolyte pills in the same cups they were giving out water in. ( it was at a different station though). I ran through the aid station grabbed a cup thinking it was Gatorade (they were saying "ELECTROLYTES") and did my normal squish the cup and take a sip as a ran without looking. My cough/choke/suprise was pretty funny.

Calling on Goofy Runners to talk me off the edge!!
Some of the conversations on the marathon thread- especially about hanging on for dear life for the last 6 miles !!!- have sort of burst the bubble of my Half success on Sunday, and has left me with a reality check of what I've actually signed up for! ....It's so easy to click that little button, pull out the credit card, and say "oh yes, I'm doing this race!" ....
But the facts are
I've now submitted a POT that is not even close to what I expect to run either the half or the full at, yet even at that pace- I'm expected to be out and move forward( not even counting an occasional zig or zag!) for 5.5 hours!!!
I know that we all have different paces, conditioning, skills, ages....
But honestly- I will be moving for a long time!!!
I'm getting short of breath and my chest is constricting,..... I have to sit down.....
Ha ha ha!
But really, looking for some shoring up:
Is my Galloway training really going to prepare me for this?
Have you really done this as a newer runner and completed it?
How do you fight the negative self talk?
What are the things you did that you feel really helped you succeed?

I'm hanging on to "Run your own race"
I definitely did that on Sunday.
I thank you @Ariel484 for that quote!!

I'm following my plan- mostly.
And for the back to back days my plan says to walk, I'm running them. So I think I'm putting in the work....

But I would just appreciate hearing what guidance you "veterans" have for us newbies, how can you help us step away from the edge!!

As always
Thanks!!!

If you stick to the plan, yes.
Me personally...no (I'd done a marathon first). But I know others have.
Focus on the training and getting excited for the event...the race weekend will be your reward for the hard work you have been/will be putting in all year at home to get ready.
Stuck to my training plan (see a pattern here?). Also, some sort of cross training - strength training, yoga, etc. - was helpful for me.
Follow it to the letter. When you get to the starting line(s) you will know you have done your best.

Training for a marathon/Goofy is a whole different ballgame from training for a half. You'll get there.

Some of the conversations on the marathon thread- especially about hanging on for dear life for the last 6 miles !!!- have sort of burst the bubble of my Half success on Sunday, and has left me with a reality check of what I've actually signed up for! ....It's so easy to click that little button, pull out the credit card, and say "oh yes, I'm doing this race!" ....
But the facts are
I've now submitted a POT that is not even close to what I expect to run either the half or the full at, yet even at that pace- I'm expected to be out and move forward( not even counting an occasional zig or zag!) for 5.5 hours!!!
I'm getting short of breath and my chest is constricting,..... I have to sit down.....
Ha ha ha!

And for the back to back days my plan says to walk, I'm running them. So I think I'm putting in the work....

But I would just appreciate hearing what guidance you "veterans" have for us newbies, how can you help us step away from the edge!!

As always
Thanks!!!
Don't get scared by what I'm writing. I'm the idiot trying to PR the marathon after running the half the day before.

@margitmouse I think @JClimacus is bringing up a good point - really depends on what your goals are. Finishing with a smile vs. trying to PR are VERY different goals, so that is something to keep in mind!

Don't get scared by what I'm writing. I'm the idiot trying to PR the marathon after running the half the day before.

No! No idiot! That is your goal! Cheering you on!! Absolutely! That whole conversation about the marathon is just a reality check that this is a lot more than a walk in the park! ... And a lot more than a half marathon!

@margitmouse I think @JClimacus is bringing up a good point - really depends on what your goals are. Finishing with a smile vs. trying to PR are VERY different goals, so that is something to keep in mind!

I know my goal: upright, with something resembling a smile ;)
and
Anything before the ballon ladies is a PR for me!!! :yay:
I know that takes a lot of stress off me as opposed to people who have time goals...

Maybe my panic is really more about trusting my training to get me there..

If it helps, that was about my marathon pace at first, too.

Yep! That's why only 1% of the people have run a marathon. It's a long time. There's no way around it (unless you're an elite runner - you're not an elite, world-class runner are you? If so, nevermind)

Yes and yes. For what it's worth, I signed up for the Goofy before running my first marathon. (I ended up running a marathon after registering but before the Goofy). I relied ALOT on the Galloway training plan.

For me, 1) think of the medal! 2) you committed to it, so follow-through with it 3) what else are you gonna do with that time? Sit on the couch and watch TV?

Train, train, train. Also, as I got closer, I would imagine myself on the Disney course. At the 5.5 mile mark I'd think "this is where I'll be running through the castle", etc.

Good. That's what I did and recommend if your conditioning allows. Additionally, I found the first back-to-back day a little light so I adjusted the Galloway plan for my purposes to have a longer run on the Saturday of the back-to-back.

I am the proverbial "if I can do it, anybody can do it" guy. When I started my Goofy training I could barely run a quarter-mile before having to walk. I just stuck with the training and it worked out.

You can do it!!!!

But the facts are
Ha ha ha!

As always
Thanks!!!

Just to offer a little bit of calm - hopefully. :)
I'm not a veteran. I am running my first marathon this weekend. :scared: last year at this time I was running my first half marathon, and I thought that there was no way that I would want to or be able to run a marathon; however, our local race offers a special discount/medal if you sign up for a back 2 back series - half in spring and full in fall. And for some reason I decided to sign up for that, and then decided to sign up for Dopey! What was I thinking???

Anyways, now that I have basically completed my training for a full, I am 99% sure that I will be fine on Sunday for the full. I had a great training group and both days that I ran 20 I felt that I would be able to run another 6.2 miles+. My group is pretty slow, I think it may have taken us 5 hours for those 20 milers, but making sure we did a long SLOW distance run has really helped me. I am going to try for 5.5 hours this weekend. It's going to be a little warmer than ideal, so I'm really just wanting to finish and be happy with how I ran.

I know adding a half the day before will definitely make running the full more difficult, but for me at Disney, I don't really plan on running the full fast (for me), it may just be the same pace that we have used in training, and it should be fun.

I think you can do it, as long as you are training and putting in the time on your feet. This is my opinion as a non-veteran. :)

If you stick to your plan you can definitely do this. I know there can be an urge to push yourself harder than your plan says to, but your body needs the rest days and the easy days to recover. Make sure it's getting time to do this.

One of the things Coach Charles used to emphasize here is that the marathon isn't the last big challenge before you get your medal. The marathon is really a celebration of all the training that you've done. If you've stuck to your plan and done all the work come marathon weekend its really about celebrating all the hard work that you've put in. I'm not saying it's going to be a walk in the park (because you'll be walking in 4 of them) but you should be able to finish.

Training for a marathon/Goofy is a whole different ballgame from training for a half. You'll get there.

I'd add to that actually doing the goofy is a different experience than doing a Marathon. It's amazing and fun and you'll meet a lot of neat people, but it is a lot of miles. If you follow your training you'll be fine though.

]...

Maybe my panic is really more about trusting my training to get me there..
That's what it's all about... trusting the training. The plans are developed from a lot of knowledge and experience, and you should feel good you have all that knowledge and experience behind you. A lot of people have done what you are doing and succeeded. At my first marathon, I didn't feel any doubt until I crossed the 20 mile mark into the unknown, then I began to wonder. And I remembered what experienced runners, on this blog and elsewhere, had hammered home: Trust the training. I reminded myself I had put in the work and should feel confident. The last 10k was difficult but I crossed the finish line on my feet. You can do it too!

But the facts are
Ha ha ha!

You'll be fine, take some deep breaths! As long as you are training and putting in effort now you will finish even if you have problems during the actual race. I don't do Galloway but wasn't running 50 miles a week like some either. Last Jan I did the marathon (my 2nd, but it had been 8 yrs since my first and it wasn't Disney) and came down with the Influenza Type A 5 days before, it was awful (sick for a month), but because I had trained well I was able to finish. Now I think because it was at WDW and with all the atmosphere and people it really helped get me through versus curling up on the ground. That last mile around World Showcase I was running completely on adrenaline as I had 0 energy. If this race had been on one of the boring Omaha courses I've done I think it would have been harder. I guess what I'm trying to say is there is some "Disney magic" that will encourage you in the moment of the race and as long as you have trained to your best abilities that "Disney Magic" will kick in. (I know some will disagree but whatever)
Goal times are nice to have, but it's nothing to beat yourself up worrying about....just train, smile & enjoy the journey! Also, I found reading anything and everything about RunDisney and people's blogs rally helps too because it invites you to all these other people's journeys and struggles and let's you see that you are not alone.

Don't pay any attention to that conversation. We're talking there about how to run a race when you really want to bust your ***, leave it all on the course, and get a huge new PR. That's not the goal of most people at Disney. Disney races are more about having fun and enjoying all that Disney has to offer, not about racing and running as hard as you possibly can. Follow your training, judge yourself on your progress from week to week and not against anyone else, and you'll be just fine. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter