Official Goofy 2016 Thread

I am surprised it sold out so fast. 2015 was the 10th Anniversary and well into last summer it was no where near to selling out. The only reason I can think is the lack of races and challenges next year at WDW compared to DL.

I am surprised it sold out so fast. 2015 was the 10th Anniversary and well into last summer it was no where near to selling out. The only reason I can think is the lack of races and challenges next year at WDW compared to DL.
I think they went with how many Goofy spots they had after they broke up some last year into just half or just full with the Goofy Giveback and it not selling out. I don't think they are starting with as many Goofy spots as they did last year, but I guess who knows on that.

What's everyone's plan for the Goofy? This is my first Goofy. Are you planning to run one race hard and the other easy? Or both easy or both hard? I'm running the half with my son and daughter and it will definitely be a slow, fun run with plenty of character stops. Probably 10 minute mile pace at best. I'll be running the full with a friend who is a pretty good runner, but we both plan on running for fun with some character pics, but at a decent pace, maybe 9 minute miles or slower. I want to enjoy the end of the marathon this time (last year I was in a world of hurt the last 5k)

I've done pretty much all combinations (easy/easy, hard/easy, easy/hard, and hard/hard) over the years. For taking pictures, easy/easy or hard/easy is definitely the way to go. Your best photo stop opportunities will be on Sunday during the full. Not only will you have learned where the first ones are during the half on Saturday and can plan ahead, the crowding along the course in the second half is reduced because people spread out much more during the full and the lines are shorter.

I've done pretty much all combinations (easy/easy, hard/easy, easy/hard, and hard/hard) over the years. For taking pictures, easy/easy or hard/easy is definitely the way to go. Your best photo stop opportunities will be on Sunday during the full. Not only will you have learned where the first ones are during the half on Saturday and can plan ahead, the crowding along the course in the second half is reduced because people spread out much more during the full and the lines are shorter.

Seconded on the easy/easy or hard/easy for most economical photo opportunities. My line tolerance is very low, so what was planned to be a easy half last year ended up being a quicker than expected as I never found a good combination of character(s) I wanted a picture with and reasonable line length. It has become very popular with a lot of the Dopey and Goofy runners to go very leisurely during the half. Not that it doesn't make sense to approach things that way, but the half has felt very congested the last couple years because of the similarities of so many challenge strategies.

I am straight up easy/easy in WDW races. I am there for the event, not the time. I want to be able to enjoy the parks after the races, too.

Last edited:
I am probably the opposite of most of the posts I have read. For my first Goofy this year, I put in a lot of hard training for 16 weeks. My mindset was that if I did all that training I was going to try and PR both races.

I ran hard both days and shaved 2 minutes off my half time and 9 minutes off my marathon time. It helped that the weather was perfect for me during the half. If it had been a warm day I probably would not have made a PR. The weather for the full was warmer by mid-race, and then I had to run through a small rain shower and humidity starting at mile 21. That was no fun.

In the end, just do what works for you and what you want to accomplish.

I am probably the opposite of most of the posts I have read. For my first Goofy this year, I put in a lot of hard training for 16 weeks. My mindset was that if I did all that training I was going to try and PR both races.

I ran hard both days and shaved 2 minutes off my half time and 9 minutes off my marathon time. It helped that the weather was perfect for me during the half. If it had been a warm day I probably would not have made a PR. The weather for the full was warmer by mid-race, and then I had to run through a small rain shower and humidity starting at mile 21. That was no fun.

In the end, just do what works for you and what you want to accomplish.
I'm with you insofar as after putting in all the training, I want to run my best. My half will be easy no matter what since I'm running with my son and daughter who won't be fast. In any case, if the best photo ops are on Sunday, doesn't it make sense to run hard to stay ahead of the crowds? That's basically what we plan on doing - a hard run with character stops on Sunday.

I'm with you insofar as after putting in all the training, I want to run my best. My half will be easy no matter what since I'm running with my son and daughter who won't be fast. In any case, if the best photo ops are on Sunday, doesn't it make sense to run hard to stay ahead of the crowds? That's basically what we plan on doing - a hard run with character stops on Sunday.
The longest line I saw for this year's marathon was the villain's photo-op that they've had out for a few years now (it's after mile marker 10). I skipped it because I have that picture from 2 other years, so I'm not sure how long it took to get through that line. The longest line I actually waited in was for Robin Hood, Friar Tuck and Little John, and I don't think I waited more than 7-8 minutes (in fact I don't think I've waited more than 8 minutes in any character line during a Disney race). And I definitely do not "run hard" at Disney races, so that gives you an idea of what the lines are like. :teeth:

One other thing to keep in mine - I've done Goofy twice now (2013 and 2015) and I found that the photo-ops for the first 8 miles (where the half and full courses are the same) were almost identical. So if you stop for some of those pictures on Saturday you can bank a lot of time on Sunday by not stopping for them again. That'll help you bank a lot of time for those potentially longer lines you may encounter late on.

To me, running hard does not involve stopping. It means going all out for a PR or very specific time goal. Once I'm settled into my race pace, I don't stop for anything if I can help it. Doing anything else, for me, is running easy.

My last time at disney was in 2012… I PR'd both races; my first time to do that. Going in I was very pleased with my training plan, and I good had an idea of my goal times for each race. Whether through trial and error from 6 prior Goofy's or just plain dumb luck, I was able to keep the pace where I needed it to be.

Does anyone know if they still discount the corral qualifying time if you are running the Goofy? I know people were complaining about this a couple years ago. I think the 1:44 half time I submitted may be good enough to land me in the D corral for the full, but not if they bump me back for running Goofy.

Does anyone know if they still discount the corral qualifying time if you are running the Goofy? I know people were complaining about this a couple years ago. I think the 1:44 half time I submitted may be good enough to land me in the D corral for the full, but not if they bump me back for running Goofy.
I've found that they corral based on whatever your PoT translates to for your anticipated finish in the marathon. So for me, I felt like they corralled me properly for the marathon and like I should have been moved up 1-2 for the half.

I've found that they corral based on whatever your PoT translates to for your anticipated finish in the marathon. So for me, I felt like they corralled me properly for the marathon and like I should have been moved up 1-2 for the half.

That sounds good. I'll be running with a friend in the full and we will be making character stops, and we'd like to stay ahead of the crowds if we can. So, pace John above, we'll be making stops but going at a hard marathon pace between...

The longest line I saw for this year's marathon was the villain's photo-op that they've had out for a few years now (it's after mile marker 10). I skipped it because I have that picture from 2 other years, so I'm not sure how long it took to get through that line. The longest line I actually waited in was for Robin Hood, Friar Tuck and Little John, and I don't think I waited more than 7-8 minutes (in fact I don't think I've waited more than 8 minutes in any character line during a Disney race). And I definitely do not "run hard" at Disney races, so that gives you an idea of what the lines are like. :teeth:

One other thing to keep in mine - I've done Goofy twice now (2013 and 2015) and I found that the photo-ops for the first 8 miles (where the half and full courses are the same) were almost identical. So if you stop for some of those pictures on Saturday you can bank a lot of time on Sunday by not stopping for them again. That'll help you bank a lot of time for those potentially longer lines you may encounter late on.

I ran the full this past year and happened to be running beside a Goofy runner through MK. He mentioned, unhappily, that the character stops up to that point were the same as the half. That's a good idea of getting those character stops out on Saturday and banking time early on Sunday.

I ran the full this past year and happened to be running beside a Goofy runner through MK. He mentioned, unhappily, that the character stops up to that point were the same as the half. That's a good idea of getting those character stops out on Saturday and banking time early on Sunday.
Yeah, in 2013 I was disappointed by that...less so this year because I knew to expect it. :)

I see the Goofy thread isn't getting a lot of luv lately.

I ran a 10k race on Saturday followed by a 10 mile training run on Sunday. I was sore the first mile or so on the 10 mile run, but it worked itself out after that and I was fine the rest of the way. Hope that bodes well for the Goofy. The 10k was partly so my two kids could get qualfiying times for the half, and they both came in at 57 minutes and change, which I think will put us in the neighborhood of the F or G corrals for the half. We're happy with that... they are thinking they want to run in costumes from Frozen. I'm not a big costume guy myself, but it looks like I might be running dressed as a snowman.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter